Can anyone reco a portable DVD player?

BobC

Can anyone reco a portable DVD player?
« on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:54 pm »
Calling all parents!

I need to buy a portable DVD player for for my toddler (2.5 years old) to use during long road trips.  I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ but also NEED something that is durable and easy to use.

I guess my base plan is to buy a single player (lots to choose from, any recos?) and the harness that allows you to hang the player from the seat in front of the viewer.

However, I noticed that there are models that come with 2 screens.  This is appealing because my other child (only 3 months old now) will eventually want to watch.

Any experience with the 2 screen versions?  I read that the downside is more wires and that they both have to watch the same thing at the same time.  Plus more $$$.  Plus it'll be a year or so before the youngest will want to watch.

Thanks!   :thumb:

darrenyeats

Re: Can anyone reco a portable DVD player?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:04 pm »
I've got one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loading-SDV77B-Portable-Tablet-Battery/dp/B0009Q2K6C

Plus points:
- the tablet design is perfect for the car (you can still use it on a desktop since the optional hinged battery pack can act as the stand)
- there is a video/audio in switch so the player doubles as a TV display too if you have a receiver

Minus:
- the screen is not really DVD resolution.

On the last point, I'm not sure how many portable DVD players below 10" have full DVD rez. Next Base don't have any AFAIK. This seems to be an unspoken dirty secret about small DVD portables so if full DVD rez is a must, research the specs - don't assume. But I'm happy with the convenience of the Next Base player.
Darren

BobC

Re: Can anyone reco a portable DVD player?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:11 pm »
Thanks.  Full rez is not a must have.  Will primarily be used by children to watch cartoons in the car.