Re: Wal-Mart to go exclusive Blu-Ray
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:22 pm »
 :lol:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:25 pm »
Hand me another nail, please.

Looks like Sony won one this time.  Guess this time they paid off a lot of companies (Warner.....) to win the battle, though perhaps still nursing the pain from the Betamax loss.  May be tomorrow another format will zoom up, making BR absolete.

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:32 pm »

May be tomorrow another format will zoom up, making BR absolete.

Hey, what kind of unsubstantiated idea is that!!  :wave:

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:40 pm »
Will people at Walmart be able to afford the Blu-Ray Players at such expensive prices? Where are the $150 dollar bluray players?
Mike

griller

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:49 pm »
You can put a fork in it  :lol: Once again procrastination has served me well. But I personally am not buying into Blue until it drops substantially in price.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:50 pm »
Amen brother!  :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2008, 10:08 pm »
Interesting development  :|

I always thought the rationale of Sony losing the Blu-ray battle, a la the videocassette battle with Betamax was overblown.  Sony was a bit player 30+ years ago among many.....now they control vast amounts of content as studio owners and record label. Not to mention, Playstation 3.  Matsushita (Panasonic/JVC) dwarfed them in size....now, not so much vastly larger.

Meanwhile, with Howard Stringer at the helm, they have made some very astute moves the past 2 years in many areas of their business.

John

Ears

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2008, 10:13 pm »
Hand me another nail, please.

Looks like Sony won one this time.  Guess this time they paid off a lot of companies (Warner.....) to win the battle, though perhaps still nursing the pain from the Betamax loss.  May be tomorrow another format will zoom up, making BR absolete.

Warner made 63 million dollars more on Blu-ray over hd dvd in 07 with 25 titles missing from the Blu side including The Matrix, V for Vendetta and Batman Begins.
Warner also said it was cheaper to produce Blu-ray encodes because of the higher bit ratres and GB.

They also said they were not paid off, and with the above statements, they didn't need to be.

That's Best Buy, Netflix and Wallmart picking Blu in one week following at least 15 other studios to go Blu only after Warner.
Apparently the entire industry knows that Blu was selling better and has more potential., and evidently Blockbuster figured it out first.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2008, 10:15 pm »
You can put a fork in it  :lol: Once again procrastination has served me well. But I personally am not buying into Blue until it drops substantially in price.

You got that right.  I'm still enjoying my little Oppo 981's just fine thank you.  I'll not be party to the format wars.  When they get it figured out and everything is available in Blu Ray (or at least everything that's worth watching) I'll likely buy one.  For now, if I wanted one, I'd buy a PS3.

Bryan