Which way is the wind blowing with HD/Blue Ray?

gitarretyp

Re: Which way is the wind blowing with HD/Blue Ray?
« Reply #40 on: 1 Nov 2007, 10:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure BB still offers and will continue to offer HDDVD online but not in their corporate stores. That said, i also use netflix. I tried BB twice and had bad experiences both times.

PeteG

« Reply #41 on: 2 Nov 2007, 12:01 am »
BB web site is a little funny finding HD DVD but their there. Look's like Best Buy and Circuit City will price match the Toshiba HD DVD player.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/collections/hdDvdPackage

randytsuch

« Reply #42 on: 2 Nov 2007, 12:35 am »
Tomorrow only, in store only, wal mart has the HD-A2 for $98.87, while supplies last, starting at 8 am.

It is listed on this Walmart secret sale page, which I found from a link at slickdeals.net.  I would link to it, but I can't call up slickdeals from work (I was on my blackberry when I found it).

I was not sure, because it only does 1080i, and I was going to hold out until blu ray players get cheaper, for I think I will go to my local walmart tomorrow morning, and see if I can snag one.

BTW, they also have sanyo 50" plasmas for $998 and Acer laptops for $348.  Looks like an early Black Friday sale.

Randy

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #43 on: 2 Nov 2007, 01:44 am »
Just keep in mind this one does not do 1080p, only 1080i. But I doubt the average Wal-mart customer has a 1080p TV (I know I don't).

For most people this is a great deal! A lot of digital TVs will deinterlace the 1080i anyway!
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2007, 01:59 am by jqp »

randytsuch

« Reply #44 on: 2 Nov 2007, 01:51 pm »
Just keep in mind this one does not do 1080p, only 1080i. But I doubt the average Wal-mart customer has a 1080p TV (I know I don't).

For most people this is a great deal! A lot of digital TVs will deinterlace the 1080i anyway!

And, if you don't want to do wallmart, you can order it online at best buy for business
details here
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=645351 :drool: (emoticon courtesy of my daughter)

Randy

JoshK

« Reply #45 on: 2 Nov 2007, 03:09 pm »
Well I pre-ordered the Panasonic BD30K blu-ray player since the cost (~$370 with EPP) was about the right point and it has the features I was looking for and a brand I trust.   I will decide later on whether to pick up a Toshiba A35. The two players combined are about the same price as one of the combo players and the combo players reportedly don't do full justice to both formats (typically the HDDVD). 

BR has enough traction where I care for it (decent sized section in my local BB and plenty of choices online) and the price was approachable.  I am just itching to watch some flix in HD with the 1080p plasma. 

PeteG

« Reply #46 on: 2 Nov 2007, 05:08 pm »
Josh

I've been using a Panny BD10A for bluray and have been very happy with it, analog outs are very nice. BD30/BD10A are almost the same (firmware update).

randytsuch

« Reply #47 on: 2 Nov 2007, 05:58 pm »
I ordered a Tosh HD-A2 from best buy this morning for $100 shipped, plus tax.

I am looking forward to hooking it up to my Onkyo TX-SR-705, to see how uncompressed 7.1 audio sounds.

Randy

klh

« Reply #48 on: 2 Nov 2007, 08:25 pm »
The fact that the A2 outputs 1080i doesn't matter. I've read numerous times that the 1080p players (from both camps) do 1080p to 1080i to 1080p coversions within the unit (I don't know why, I've just read it on several forums). Having your TV/PJ do the last conversion instead of the player should not change the quality of the image. I have a JVC RS1 1080p PJ and a PS3 and bought an HD-A2 from Best Buy yesterday ($89+tax)... I watched Transformers (HD-DVD) and thought the image was spectacular (no different than Blu-Ray). The main difference between the HD-A2/3 and the others is the A30 and A35 can output a 1080/24 signal and the A35 can also send HD-MAdts bitstream over HDMI. If you have a newer PJ, then you'll want to get one of the better two, and if you intend on getting one of the newer receivers, then the A35 is the ticket.  Personally, I'd like to get the A35, but I'll wait a bit... then move the A2 to a secondary room. This deal was just too good to pass up.

PeteG

« Reply #49 on: 4 Jan 2008, 10:01 pm »
Big blow to HD DVD today.

Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #50 on: 4 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm »
Very interesting...

Well it looks like putting a larger investment in Blu-ray may turn out to be the right move.

As of today, my Blu-ray/HD DVD ratio is about 4:1 in favor of Blu-ray.   :thumb:

I also paid really good prices for my HD hardware and software:

Toshiba A35 and A3 were at very low prices + each came with 10 free movies.

My average price for new HD DVD's is about $13 so good on that front too.

Let's see what happens over the coming months.

George
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2008, 10:20 pm by zybar »

Tweaker

« Reply #51 on: 8 Jan 2008, 09:06 pm »
...and perhaps the nail in the coffin?
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/64393

Night_Train

« Reply #52 on: 8 Jan 2008, 09:25 pm »
The Dagger.......

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

PeteG

Re: Something to think about
« Reply #56 on: 12 Jan 2008, 05:01 pm »
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/11/ritek-hybrid-bd-hd-dvd-disks

Its basically over for Toshiba and HD-DVD, studios what one format to go forward with. I picked up a HD-DVD (XA2) player awhile back for a good price and its one of the better DVD players I’ve had. Everyone should start dumping HD-DVD players and movies soon.

Philistine

« Reply #57 on: 13 Jan 2008, 06:41 pm »
Another factor to take into consideration is the Global market, after all both formats are global in geographic coverage.
Even though the North American market is significant, Europe and Asia are critical also and have to be taken into consideration into the arguments as to who has and who hasn't won.   All the recent announcements from the Blu Ray camp are just part of the propaganda, as are the announcements from the HD camp.

As an outsider I see neither camp has captured the imagination and desire, that will generate demand, from the majority of the potential market.  On this basis I see both formats so far have failed.  DVD represented a significant step change in convenience, durability and performance over VHS.  For the average Joe high definition DVD is an incremental performance improvement over standard DVD, why should he buy a player for $300?

Norman Tracy

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
« Reply #59 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:09 pm »
Its all Blu Ray  from this point out!  I thought it was going to go this way..