What's the BEST Pre/Pro Under $6k?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #60 on: 26 Aug 2003, 04:58 am »
Quote from: rkapadia@ROOP
Robin,

I'm not sure if you had the opportunity to listen to the TG3 or if you went on readings, but I like the unit quite a bit and I think it's a great foundation for an HT/music pre at that price-point.  I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised (or wow-ed) when you finally listen to it in your new system.

Regards,

Rup
                          Thanks Rup, that`s good to know as I went on specs, reviews and good words from AC members on my purchase. I`ve had the Sunfire for over 3 weeks now but I`m STILL waiting on my 2 Butler Audio 3150 amps. Did I say patiently waiting? :(  I see you sell Balance Power Technologies product, EXCELLENT! I have a fully upgraded BP2.5 and it was this purchase alone that turned me into an audiphile wantabe. I was strictly a C-band sports junkie til I picked up this conditioner. It literally turned my lifestyle around and my credit card has suffered ever since.($13000+) :roll: I can`t say enough good things about BPT or Chris Hoff! Thanks again Rup for the kind words. Regards, Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #61 on: 26 Aug 2003, 05:40 am »
Just to inform, Witchdoctor announced on AVS of a shootout in the lastest issue of The Perfect Vision of three Pre/Pro`s in the $2500-$3500 catagory; the Bryston SP1.7, the Classe’ SSP-30MK11, and the Sunfire TG3. As I don`t get this mag, I can`t say with certainty but it`s my understanding that the Sunfire smoked the other 2 in the comparisons and made their A/V recommended list. Boy am I itching to give this unit a listen! :D Regards, Robin

witchdoctor

« Reply #62 on: 26 Aug 2003, 01:44 pm »
I downloaded the issue for $10 at their website. Yes, it was named best in class.
Roop, I am glad to see you liked the TG3. It was great hanging out with you and I look forward to your reccomendations.

Ears

« Reply #63 on: 26 Aug 2003, 03:08 pm »
I don't want to take anything away from the shootouts results,but the 1.7 was the winner in analog bypass over the Sunfire and Classe.

Kudos to Sunfire for having one the overall H/T sonics part of the challenge against some good competition.

Greg

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #64 on: 26 Aug 2003, 04:41 pm »
Quote from: Ears
I don't want to take anything away from the shootouts results,but the 1.7 was the winner in analog bypass over the Sunfire and Classe.

Kudos to Sunfire for having one the overall H/T sonics part of the challenge against some good competition.

Greg
                       Thanks for clarifying that Greg, for anyone who`s interest lies in 2 channel stereo as yourself, that`s a BIG factor indeed. For myself, the HT/multichannel music aspects of Sunfire`s positive review was music to my ears. Especially after the recent black-eye review the Sunfire received from Audioholics, the ONLY one out of numerous glowing reviews for the TG3 I might add. And unlike Witchdoctor, I`m unable to download this review because I`m a Webtv user and they don`t download sh*t! Regards, Robin

petermwilson

« Reply #65 on: 26 Aug 2003, 07:53 pm »
Hi,
I don't have a Sunfire, but it does seem that reviews of that one have been inconsistant.

Peter m.

witchdoctor

« Reply #66 on: 27 Aug 2003, 01:55 am »
I'll take that one further and say reviews for all Sunfire products are inconsistent. Bob Carver seems to bring out the extremes of opinion. I'll bet one review you never see on his products are that a product of his is in the middle of the pack.
Just make sure you have a return policy if you can't audition first, as with most equpment purchases.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #67 on: 27 Aug 2003, 05:39 am »
Quote from: witchdoctor
I'll take that one further and say reviews for all Sunfire products are inconsistent. Bob Carver seems to bring out the extremes of opinion. I'll bet one review you never see on his products are that a product of his is in the middle of the pack.
Just make sure you have a return policy if you can't audition first, as with most equpment purchases.
              GULP = :bawl:+:violin:÷ must stay positive :hyper:

witchdoctor

« Reply #68 on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:45 pm »
Thanks Robin,
I think the reason for the wide differences of opinionre: Sunfire  are how would you feel if your mega buck gear got trounced by gear that was less expensive? As a Sunfire customer you feel wise ( as I do). Is it possible that higher prices do not always translate into higher performance?
I guess some people feel higher prices mean better. I have had three dealers of mega buck gear listen to  my TG3. I have yet to hear any negative comments.
My own ears would tell me to replace my unit if it did not stand up as the best value I could find.
BUT- you should never buy gear solely on a review, which is what I meant when you should audition or have a return policy on ANY purchase.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #69 on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:51 pm »
I've heard there have been some reliabity issues and software bugs with the TGIII.  I really don't know.  It sure has every feature you could want.  If you enjoy yours and it works fine, don't worry.  I know it's hard not to be neurotic when you spend $3k, but if it works well for you that's all that matters.

Ears

« Reply #70 on: 2 Sep 2003, 12:11 am »
The September edition of Widescreen review does a Parasound halo  c1 review and the reviewer, Perry Sun prefers it's dacs to his reference TAG av32r [bp-192] latest version pre/pro and says it has more tonal articulation and a lower noise floor.

One of the true forefront pre/pros.
Its 6k price should actually seem modest....qoute
The c1 offers a whole lot of what a true high end preamp will deliver, yet also at a much greater performance to price ratio.

The above was said after comparing the c1 to McCormack map 1 dedicated multichannel analog preamp and declaring the sonics very close with remarkable performance as an analog multi channel pre.

He also said, this is one of the few pre/pros that he had encountered that doesn't have clicks or pops when changing dvd surround modes,menus,tracks ect.
Even dts music cd's that either popped or cut off for the first few miliseconds[when changing tracks] are absent.

Why does this review excite me....two reasons,this is a rag that not only declared sacd as the winner over dvd-a when others sit on the fence, they have also had negative things to say about the very popular Bryston amps and other popular gear.
The other reason is that the c2 is the exact same pre/pro as the c1, minus the monitor,required power supply for the monitor, and a few ic's.

jimmyp58

« Reply #71 on: 27 Sep 2003, 06:17 pm »
Have you looked at either the Rotel RSP-1066 or the new RSP-1098?

Ears

« Reply #72 on: 28 Sep 2003, 12:49 am »
Jimmy, i heard the first Rotel pre/pro had a lot of bugs but that the second model was decent.

I ended up buying a Parasound halo c2 which is the exact same sonically as the highly reviewed c1 for less than 3k street.

So far I love it,especially the non digitised analog outs.
It sounds great with movie sound but I have yet to try more that 2 channels as my multi channel amp was getting open heart and I will not get it back until next week.

Greg

witchdoctor

« Reply #73 on: 5 Oct 2003, 10:26 pm »
So Robin,
Is this Sunfire TG 3 the real deal or what? Every time I get home and fire this baby up it's like I still get the same WOW as when I first got it.
Great DVD's are stunning as well. Have you checked out some good movies yet?
What are you using for a sub?

Doc

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #74 on: 5 Oct 2003, 11:02 pm »
So Robin,
Is this Sunfire TG 3 the real deal or what? Every time I get home and fire this baby up it's like I still get the same WOW as when I first got it.
Great DVD's are stunning as well. Have you checked out some good movies yet?
What are you using for a sub?

Doc
                        Hi Todd, You been reading my mind or what? :D  To tell you the truth, I`m not sure what`s stunning me with these dynamic expansions with my soundstage. Whether it`s the Sunfire/Butler 3150`s/Ridge Street cabling or the combination of all three. But I do know that can`t wait to get my Lorelei`s because everyone says that I`m not suppose to be enjoying my Bose as much as I have been. I run an entry level Velodyne CT-100 subwoofer which fits my smallish 11' x 17' room perfectly and has good speed for music. One of these days I`ll have to get some DVD`s to check out but satellite music has dominated my attention since system fireup. I`ve especialy been wanting to see ‘Lord of the Rings, The Twin Towers’. Te two features that I really appreciate the most on the Sunfire have been the Holgraphic and Video Delay. The Holo tends to enhance the treble along with tightening up the soundstage which works great in my smallish room And the Video Delay is a fix that I`ve always had on livebroadcast via C-band satellite for lipsynch. These two features alone made the purchase worthwhile. I think I got real lucky on the Sunfire/Butler tube hybrid amp combination. The microdynamics DO continue to impress (where`s my Lorelei`s :lol:) and from what JohnB says, there`s more to look foreward to. I guess I didn`t do any damage to the Sunfire from applying Stillpoints ERS to the inner casing, any thoughts of brightness has LONG disappeared with the crystal clear sonics remaining. But it`s the inner details that are my WOW factor now. May I recommend Bolder`s Bybee s-video adapter and Bybee inlines for the component video for even further stunning video gains, incredibly surreal Todd. Sorry for the rant here, that`s the price you pay for asking me a question. Thanks for asking! :D  Regards, Robin

witchdoctor

« Reply #75 on: 5 Oct 2003, 11:26 pm »
I know the feeling of getting more than you expected. I don't use S-Video
and  use RGB 15 pin connector for my video since it all routes through a PC. I do have bybees om my digital IC's and on the plug to my PLC.
Much improved. Do you listen in stereo, sourc direct,or one of the surround modes?
I use PL2 a lot and found a big improvement by dialing it in. Play with the presets,panorama on-off, width, etc. It pays off when you listen in these modes.
I am glad you fixed your lip sync issue with the video delay. I cannot turn off holo once I got used to it. It's fun to A/B when guests come over.
You balanced all the channels with a radio shack SPL meter right?
if you really want to dial in the holo get out a tape measure and follow the instructions in the manual to get your speakers within 1/8 of an inch
tolerance to your sweet spot.
Are your cables silver?
Have you tried the sub in both music and movie mode?
I leave mine set for music.
What are you using for isolation?
Glad you are getting your high end fix. Let us know when you get your speakers,
Doc

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #76 on: 6 Oct 2003, 12:15 am »
I know the feeling of getting more than you expected. I don't use S-Video
and  use RGB 15 pin connector for my video since it all routes through a PC. I do have bybees om my digital IC's and on the plug to my PLC.
Much improved. Do you listen in stereo, sourc direct,or one of the surround modes?
I use PL2 a lot and found a big improvement by dialing it in. Play with the presets,panorama on-off, width, etc. It pays off when you listen in these modes.
I am glad you fixed your lip sync issue with the video ...
Mmm, ashame that you can`t incorporate Bybee`s in the video signal as there`s a tremendous gain in definition/ I took my s-video adapter out for a while yesterday and it was like a milk film was covering my picture. The adapter was put back in promptly. :lol: I do ALL my listenning in DPL2,,,,music for music and matrix for sports. Movies/DVDs are taken care of automatically (I prefer DTS). I do listen to stereo while working,,, I have a boombox. :lol: I have 6 speaker/subwoofer at home,,, why use only 2 speakers? I don`t follow the logic here??? :lol:  I`ve measured all my speakers to the letter and all three of my fronts are exactly the same length from me. All have been dialed in using a Rat Shack meter, my sub is on Enhanced Bass/80 hz so I can play my speakers large and is located between my right/center speakers at the same length from me. I find the Holo sucks for program viewing/sports as it takes away from the soundstage. But music, that`s a different story. I basicly leave it on then. All my speakers/subwoofer are on marble bases and coned with Ed Soler stainless steel cones from A’gon. I also use these same cones under my Sunfire TG3/Butler 3150`s. I also use isoblocks under the marble to isolate from my hardwood floors. I`m going to have to head in a different direction when I get my Lorelei`s tho I`m afraid. Can`t wait to start playing again. :)  All my cabling is Ridge Street Audio, all they do is 99% pure silver and they do it well. I`m very happy especially with my Bybee Digital Link and I`m planning on getting another one for my DVD so I don`t have to do double duty with the one I have. I`m also planning on another Bybee speaker filter for my rear center as this speaker will be active ALL the time once I upgrade to DPL2x. (soon I hope) Ad you needn`t fear, EVERYONE will know when I get my Odyssey Lorelei`s and my opinionated opinions. Hopefully it won`t end up in the Intergalactic Wastebin like most of my posts have lately. :roll: Regards, Robin

witchdoctor

« Reply #77 on: 6 Oct 2003, 12:40 am »
I know the TG3 loves the silver cables. Sounds like you got everything covered. Will you be adding room treatment too?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #78 on: 6 Oct 2003, 01:05 am »
I know the TG3 loves the silver cables. Sounds like you got everything covered. Will you be adding room treatment too?
                       I have a pretty good description of my room at Odyssey under a thread that I started about the tweeter height of the Lorelei. I feel my room has fairly good dampening already but I`m open to suggestions of course. I was considering raising the Lorelei`s up 7" but that`ll take allot of experimentation as I`m not sure about it now. I have plenty of 12" square marble tiles to play with. One things certain tho, for the price/features/sonic quality, I don`t think I could have done better than the Sunfire Theater Grand 3 processor. I`m VERY satisfied with my choice and thanks for your imput Todd. Regards, Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #79 on: 6 Oct 2003, 06:55 am »
Robin - "which fits my smallish 1' x 17' room " . What's the size of your room ?  :D   Robin , you caught that - kind of rough to have a room 1' wide.  :lol: