I want to buy a projector/ newbie

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: I want to buy a projector/ newbie
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2014, 10:48 pm »

As Bob says, get some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy for the time being.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124200.0  8)

stlrman

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2014, 11:55 pm »
Thanks Folks! Yep, need to look into the Popcorn thread a bit more. Time to break this baby in this weekend.
I have my daughter this weekend , so I'm thinking about How To Train Your Dragon 2 on Sunday evening.
  This projector will be with me for a couple of years I suspect. I am paying off my Shure 846 ear phones, which I LOVE!!!!!! :thumb: and We are paying off my wife's Terra Trike.Which she LOVES!!
Peace...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2014, 03:54 am »
The $750 Epson 8350 refurb I mentioned (or $884 clearance at Best Buy) will give you the detail, contrast ratio / color accuracy & depth improvement your looking for. Your kids and spouse may not notice or care about the difference - but thought you'd want to hear the truth. You could always get it from your local best buy to try and return if the improvement is not noticeable enough.

Otherwise, enjoy the holidays and movie time with the family with what you've got!

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2014, 10:46 pm »
Thanks Folks! Yep, need to look into the Popcorn thread a bit more. Time to break this baby in this weekend.
I have my daughter this weekend , so I'm thinking about How To Train Your Dragon 2 on Sunday evening.
  This projector will be with me for a couple of years I suspect. I am paying off my Shure 846 ear phones, which I LOVE!!!!!! :thumb: and We are paying off my wife's Terra Trike.Which she LOVES!!
Peace...

Yeah Todd,  I was just thinking how much I love my Shure 846s the other day too. 
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2014, 05:02 pm by roscoeiii »

stlrman

« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2014, 04:10 pm »
Well , we watched How To Train a Dragon 2 , and what a blast it was watching a movie at home on the big screen!! :thumb:
I was plenty happy with the colors and the clarity ! And this was not even a blue-Ray . I think I can easily live with this picture quality for a while.
     I am thinking Blue-Ray will look even better. Even though PJ is only 720p , BR will be a better picture no??

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2014, 04:56 pm »

I am thinking Blue-Ray will look even better. Even though PJ is only 720p , BR will be a better picture no??

For sure.  My old house basement projector was 720p and with a good source (I had an Oppo BDP-93 down there as the last player) and Blu-Ray looked great.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 23 Dec 2014, 05:48 pm »
Yip, it'll look better. Glad you're having a good time with the kiddies!  :thumb:

.... don't forget the popcorn....  :wink:

stlrman

« Reply #27 on: 23 Dec 2014, 06:46 pm »
Thanks Phil,
Bob , we are all Popcorn fans. My wife has a no eating popcorn during a movie policy and she gets annoyed with people chomping in her ear. I am a loud eater. :oI usually bring a little cheddar popcorn to the theater for my daughter and I to chomp on during the coming attractions and film.usually some chocolate and gummy bears too. I'm too cheap and broke to buy theater stuff.
  I'm usually too gripped and focused to eat while I'm watching a flick.
   That said, there looks to be so many awesome popcorn recipes in that thread that I need to try a few of them!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 23 Dec 2014, 08:36 pm »
That's funny.  :lol:  But yea, ya gotta have some for the movies.
I assume the cutie in your avatar is your popcorn partner?

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:09 pm »
Speaking of popcorn, I picked up a big bag of this - http://taldepot.com/popcorn-indiana-black-white-chocolate-drizzled-popcorn-5-oz-bag-pack-of-12.html?fee=1&fep=799&gclid=CIWG5vuI3cICFSxk7AodpDoA5A
at the local warehouse club just over a month back when I had the Space Coast Audio Society over my place and everyone loved it.  I just bought another bag and I guess when I go to my next doctor appointment, I'm just going to have to tell the doctor I'm 6'8" tall on the weight chart :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:45 pm »
My biggest fear of that is that I'd like it.  :lol: Looks awesome!

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 23 Dec 2014, 10:22 pm »
If you want to get gourmet, buy some truffle salt for popcorn. For the truffle flavor to really shine, I only use truffle salt on popcorn and eggs.

My other popcorn combo fave is Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids (in a spray bottle) in combination with nutritional yeast.

stlrman

« Reply #32 on: 23 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm »
Truffle salt ?yum!! :D
I do like sweet popcorn! And I love when you mix sweet and salty.
Yep, that's my partner in crime. What a gal!! :icon_lol: requested by partner.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 24 Dec 2014, 01:35 am »
She looks to be about the same age as my little gal. A cute little troublemaker.    :thumb:
I've never tried truffle salt, but the "Flavacol" that I use is just about right, so I don't want to add more salt, but I wouldn't mind trying some.

Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 24 Dec 2014, 02:57 pm »
One of the ways we cook popcorn is by putting good kernels in a paper bag and putting them in the microwave, with the bag stapled at the top.  Then you can add whatever you want (I like more butter, but the wife likes coconut oil) after they cook. 

Sadly, I avoid sugar at all costs, and only have chocolate on very special occasions.  That popcorn sounds good, though.  I even avoid popcorn now, due to the carbohydrate content.  I will have some every once in a while, though, and the kids like it.

youravhandyman

« Reply #35 on: 27 Dec 2014, 01:41 pm »
Hey projector shoppers, I just saw this on Woot!  http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=gh_el_2

3500 lumen projector for $599.  That's crazy talk.

ctviggen

« Reply #36 on: 27 Dec 2014, 02:00 pm »
Hey projector shoppers, I just saw this on Woot!  http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=gh_el_2

3500 lumen projector for $599.  That's crazy talk.

I've read the reviews, and they recommend a different projector, as this is a "low def" projector.  With Woot, it always pays to read the reviews. 

wushuliu

« Reply #37 on: 27 Dec 2014, 04:04 pm »
$600 gets you a brand new Optoma 1080p on Amazon. $640 gets you a new W1070 on ebay. $675 gets you a used W1080ST from Amazon Warehouse. The woot isn't much of a deal.

stlrman

« Reply #38 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:50 pm »
I am ready to buy a new proper projector!! :hyper: :banana piano: :dance:
I am 95% sure on the Benq1075.  I like that it has 3d.  I will be using my Playstation 3 for Blueray and it plays 3d.
Will I need a bigger screen in the future? , as I can project back from 15 ft. maybe a 120 inch. I think I have a 100 inch now
I am thinking of ceiling mounting the projector as I would like to able to stand up to play PS3 wand games like Tiger Woods. Is their now way not to throw a huge shadow??
Also thinking of a new subwoofer , the Bic 12 sold at BestBuy.
Very excited to watch Bluerays on the big screen and to move up to 1080p!!
Thanks for any advice., Todd

stlrman

« Reply #39 on: 8 Mar 2016, 01:21 pm »
Ok.....?? 
Does anyone enjoy 3d in their hometheaters?  How does it compare to the 3d is n the theaters? Does anyone use or ever test the Playstation 3 for 3d or Bluerays?
  Also a different route to the subwoofer would be to add another 8inch Pioneer sub . This would be better aestheticially as I could hide the second sub easily.  Thoughts on two small subs ? Would the impact and output of two 8inch subs be close ,equal or greater than a 12 inch?  Room is about 13x17.  I am worried about the massive size of the Bic sub.
Thanks, Todd