Poll

Which of the following is your favorite?

B&W (traditional)
4 (40%)
Color Negatives (C-41)
1 (10%)
Color Reversal (E-6)
2 (20%)
Digital *evil grin*
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 25 Dec 2002, 04:44 am

Favorite Medium

djklmnop

Favorite Medium
« on: 25 Dec 2002, 04:44 am »
Do you guys have a favorite film?

I'm primarily a B&W photographer and I've had really good experiences with Pan F+ and Tmax 100.  For my more artistic work, Pan F+ gives me reallllly nice tones.  I use Tmax 100 for the more technical work, such as buildings, objects, etc.

What are your favorite films and why?

Marbles

Re: Favorite Medium
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2002, 04:55 am »
Quote from: djklmnop
Do you guys have a favorite film?

What are your favorite films and why?

Deep throat..behind the green door... tie me up, tie me down..etc :-)

bob82274

Favorite Medium
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2002, 04:59 am »
CompactFlash for me!

My problem is Im not very creative and don't take very good pictures (in front or behind a camera).  I have found that my little digital camera allows for me to take a bunch more pictures.  The upfront costs were somewhat large but I havn't put a dime into it since (never print hard copies).  But I have taken many pictures for projects or when my roommate gets drunk.  I won't even touch the episode with the pumpkin... :twisted:

nathanm

Favorite Medium
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2002, 05:24 am »
Kodachrome 25 - most intense color I've ever seen.  Toxic chemicals involved, so I understand.  A shame.  Only shot one roll for a photo class project years ago, but I still remember that roll.

djklmnop

Favorite Medium
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2002, 05:41 am »
Hey bob.  I heard from a bunch of digital users that Walmart and Sams Club actually offers pretty good reprints from digital files.  I hear a lot of professionals even us it for their wedding service.  Give it a try, the price isn't too bad neither.

Natham: Kodakchrome 100 still exists I beleive.  I usually get most of my E-6 developed at Sams Club.  I think they send it out to Qualex and the turnaround time is about 2 working days.  The results are quite consistant since everything is automated from start to end and doesn't require film handling like color negatives do.  The best part about it is that it only costs $4.50 per roll of 36 exposures!

Andy

bubba966

Favorite Medium
« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2002, 05:54 am »
Quote from: djklmnop
I usually get most of my E-6 developed at Sams Club.  I think they send it out to Qualex and the turnaround time is about 2 working days.

It does get sent to Qualex. So does Costco's. Make sure you keep your tag, as sometimes it doesn't come back on time and you need to call Qualex to find out where it is. I used to work at Costco & worked in the department that dealt with all of the Qualex problems.  :evil:

DiNo

Favorite Medium
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2002, 04:33 am »
Fuji NPS 160 and Kodak Porta 160NC are my favorite films for shooting people.

BikeWNC

Favorite Medium
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2002, 04:49 am »
Years ago I would use only Kodachrome 25 or 64, but now, with a two year old it's mostly point and shoot with my Sony digital or Leica Minilux.  Usually with plain ol' Kodak or Fuji 100 or 200 print film purchased at Wal-Mart.    :?

nathanm

Favorite Medium
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2002, 09:29 am »
Everytime I think digital has caught up with film I see something that puts me in my place.  For example, on Christmas about 2 or 3 years ago my uncle brought out his slide projector and we viewed family photo slides.  Wow!  They were about 20 years old or more but they looked so crisp and vibrant.  Film still has a certain something which cannot be faked.  I don't think you can achieve that look with a computer monitor.

BikeWNC

Favorite Medium
« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2002, 01:58 pm »
I read somewhere, and I'm not really sure if I even have the numbers exactly right, that for a digital camera to match the quality of Kodacolor 100 it would need to have something like 23 megapixels.  That's a long way from the 3 or 4 megapixel cameras most people use today.  Regardless, IMO, they are hard to beat for emailing pictures off to the grandparents.

lo mein

Favorite Medium
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2002, 10:38 pm »
I shoot black & white negatives, and colour transparencies
99.99% of the time, since the 1st day I got into photography.

And I don't like cameras that depend on battries to operate.
Except for the motor-drives, and flashes.

Never owned any camera that cannot be used without batteries. :)

I have not shoot 35mm for quite awhile. Mainly been shooting
in either 6cmx6cm, or, 4"x5" formats.

My defacto b/w films are Ilfords films, develop mostly with DiaFine,
and sometimes with Rodinal; and printed on Ilford papers.

For colour works, my main stables are the Agfachrome Pro; and, Ektachrome
Pro.  Depending on the subject's matter.

When I was shooting 35mm, I used only Kodakchrome for colours,
and Ilford b/w films.

No. I've no interest in digital photography.

W.Eugene Smith, Edward Weston, Richard Avedon, Guy Bourdin, and
Pete Turner, are the most influential photographers on me.

I'm not really into Ansel Adams' style of landscapes. But I
do like the very rich tonality in his prints.

It's Richard Avedon's works, that got me into studio shoots, and large
format photography. And into the very simple, but stylistic way of
composition.

W. Eugene Smith, and, Edward Weston's works influenced the humanlity,
and reality sides of my themes and angles in approaching the subjects.

Guy Bourdin and Pete Turner are the inspiration on the abstract side
of my style. Also. Pete Turner has done some excellent works for
the jazz-label -- CTI Records.

http://www.smithfund.org/biography.html

http://www.edward-weston.com/

http://www.richardavedon.com/

http://www.peteturner.com/

http://www.guybourdin.fsnet.co.uk/contents.html

Alex

JohnR

Favorite Medium
« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2002, 11:19 pm »
Could someone explain real quick what "color reversal" film is? How is it different from negative film?

JohnR

DeadFish

Favorite Medium
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2002, 08:08 pm »
Greetings!

Isn't it great we *have* all the formats out there to shoot from???

I used to shoot PanX, PlusX, and pushed the heck out of TriX on a range-finder Leica-clone 30 years ago, and I think I have been most pleased with my shots from then.  The Kodachrome 25 was wunnerful too.

However, many years after 'burn-out' I went digital from my 25 year old manual Pentax and mostly haven't looked back.  

Being able to pop that card out of the digital and into the USB card reader on the peecee and into an editting program,  then off to the harddrive and then a CD that cost all of a quarter.....

I made a lot of people happy with copies of pictures that interested them that I took,  and they can tote them off to WalMart for decent reprints.

I still have the Pentax, but the ease and pricepoint of solid state memory has me taking a LOT more pictures over the past year...
But that deserves its own subject...

On a further note, thanks for the links,  LoMein, and everybody's posts.  This could be a great little spot here.

Regards,
DeadFish

lo mein

Favorite Medium
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2002, 11:33 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
Could someone explain real quick what "color reversal" film is? How is it different from negative film?

JohnR

John,

Colour reversal film is mainly the film stock in making
the original/master copy of the movie (film).

It has a backing layer that need to be removed before developing/processing.

It can make projection copies, prints, as well as can be
printed on photo papers.

Hope this help. :)

Happy New Year & World PEACE!!!

Alex

drphoto

Favorite Medium
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2003, 09:57 pm »
Andy, you might want to take a look at the ZoneVI 4x5 field camera before buying the Toyo. Very high quality, larger range of movement than most, interchangable bellows and fairly priced. (around $1500 new) They are now distributed by Calumet.

doughick

• http://doughickmanphoto.com
Favorite Medium
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2003, 11:07 pm »
JohnR,

Reversal films are films that, when processed, display a positive image when viewed as opposed to viewing a negative. When you look at a 35mm slide you're looking at a reversal film.

Doug

djklmnop

Favorite Medium
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2003, 06:40 am »
drphoto:  wow, $1500 is a bit steep for my blood.  The Toyo 45CF comes right in at $499 at http://www.badgergraphic.com.  I think I'm going to start off with a modest setup and then work my way up.  It'll be great to know that whichever lens I choose to purchase will stay with me even if I upgrade.

Do you have a website ?