Re: Tyson's Studio Monitor Review
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jan 2020, 11:37 pm »
Indeed they would

Don

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Tyson's NX-Studio Monitor Review
« Reply #41 on: 13 Feb 2020, 06:43 pm »
Here's a link to the recent New Record Day visit to Danny's and their impressions on several speakers, including this one.  They heard stuff very similar to what I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xxFKVC2Xro

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 14 Feb 2020, 04:16 am »
Here's a link to the recent New Record Day visit to Danny's and their impressions on several speakers, including this one.  They heard stuff very similar to what I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xxFKVC2Xro

I think their impressions paralleled yours as well.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 2020, 01:58 am »
How is the bass response on these?
I'm definitely planning on building a pair within the next year, and they'll be used on my desk in a small 10'x12' bedroom, maybe 1 foot from the wall, on either side of my primary display.
Is a sub also necessary, or just recommended?

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 19 Feb 2020, 02:06 am »
How is the bass response on these?
I'm definitely planning on building a pair within the next year, and they'll be used on my desk in a small 10'x12' bedroom, maybe 1 foot from the wall, on either side of my primary display.
Is a sub also necessary, or just recommended?

If you want full range bottom end then a sub is recommended.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 19 Feb 2020, 03:32 am »
Thanks, Danny! I'll definitely plan on looking to get a sealed servo sub kit to supplement the NX-Studios since I'm limited on space & an OB kit probably won't work with the under-desk placement I'm currently relegated to.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #46 on: 31 Mar 2020, 01:40 pm »
Edit: Moved to correct thread.

kmoser

« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2020, 04:19 pm »
Great review and graphs, I want to build these!

WarmColors

« Reply #48 on: 16 Apr 2020, 01:49 pm »
Measurements, a lot of graphs:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160647.msg1729409#msg1729409

It seems like Danny is busy trying to get most people's orders out in a timely manner, so I'm hoping you may know an answer to my question.
Looking at the graphs has there been any other modifications, from prototype to the finish product? I scrolled through all the pages on this forum and found nothing. I just want to make sure the finish product test as close as possible to the original.

Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 16 Apr 2020, 02:14 pm »
It seems like Danny is busy trying to get most people's orders out in a timely manner, so I'm hoping you may know an answer to my question.
Looking at the graphs has there been any other modifications, from prototype to the finish product? I scrolled through all the pages on this forum and found nothing. I just want to make sure the finish product test as close as possible to the original.

Thanks.

Nothing has changed on that design other than making the .1uF Miflex Copper by-pass cap for the tweeter circuit an included component rather than an option. It was too good of an addition and the price was just too low not to include it. So the kit is now $899.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #50 on: 16 Apr 2020, 02:19 pm »
As far as I know those specs are correct. I just built these, they are incredible speakers! The imaging and sound stage is to die for!
A couple thoughts: These are smaller speakers and will not have the power and dynamic's that the larger models have at higher spl's especially in larger rooms.
They excel at low to medium listening levels and near field "monitoring".
Of course high quality subs will round out the overall sound.

These are very highly resolving speakers and will benefit from the best quality upstream gear.

pankon

« Reply #51 on: 1 May 2020, 04:30 am »
Measurements, a lot of graphs:

Isn’t the dip at around 350Hz worrying? It looks quite substantial. Perhaps I am wrong but it seems that that point breaks the evenness of the frequency response curve.

That dip should definitely become acoustically evident...

Any comments please?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #52 on: 1 May 2020, 12:39 pm »
That's a 5 db scale graph, not 10 like most use. That dip is only about 2.5 db. Each one of those marks between 85 and 90 db is only 1/2 db. I assure you it is not noticeable. These are VERY smooth sounding!

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 1 May 2020, 02:19 pm »
Isn’t the dip at around 350Hz worrying? It looks quite substantial. Perhaps I am wrong but it seems that that point breaks the evenness of the frequency response curve.

That dip should definitely become acoustically evident...

Any comments please?

That's the range where the response is becoming omni directional. So it is loosing output because some of it is spilling out from around the baffle and headed the other way. It is common with any speaker using a baffle width of that size. These are also the ranges where you start getting back some of that energy in room gain.

So when you go from speaker measurements to room measurements things look a bit different in that range. You typically have to add diffusion and absorption material behind the speakers to soften that area.

pankon

« Reply #54 on: 1 May 2020, 02:50 pm »
...These are smaller speakers and will not have the power and dynamic's that the larger models have at higher spl's especially in larger rooms.
They excel at low to medium listening levels and near field "monitoring".
Of course high quality subs will round out the overall sound.

I intend to place the NX-Studios on stands in a nearfield position (1m tweeter to ear) and approx 2m between the speakers. Distance from the wall (where people usually place their speakers against) will be approx. 3m (10ft). And the NX-Studios will be accompanied by a single OB dual-driver H-frame sub, placed between the speakers.

In terms of upstream gear, they will be driven by a 25W SET, pure class A, tube amp (KT150) https://lab12.gr/suono

It seems like an interesting setup. I wonder whether placing the crossover outside the speaker box will provide any sonic improvement (?)

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 1 May 2020, 02:58 pm »
It seems like an interesting setup. I wonder whether placing the crossover outside the speaker box will provide any sonic improvement (?)

The only thing there that changes is the number of connectors needed in the path to do that. I like minimizing that myself and only using tube connectors so as to disrupt the signal the least.

pankon

« Reply #56 on: 1 May 2020, 03:00 pm »
The only thing there that changes is the number of connectors needed in the path to do that. I like minimizing that myself and only using tube connectors so as to disrupt the signal the least.

Yes, of course. My idea was just to minimize the vibrations that the crossover would be receiving, if placed outside of the box... Perhaps an overkill?

pankon

« Reply #57 on: 1 May 2020, 03:00 pm »
That's the range where the response is becoming omni directional. So it is loosing output because some of it is spilling out from around the baffle and headed the other way. It is common with any speaker using a baffle width of that size. These are also the ranges where you start getting back some of that energy in room gain.

Danny, if I understand correctly, the 350Hz area is served by the woofer, which is in the closed box of the NX-Studio. So how can it be spilling out? Maybe I have misunderstood something...

hawkeyejw

« Reply #58 on: 1 May 2020, 03:26 pm »
Danny, if I understand correctly, the 350Hz area is served by the woofer, which is in the closed box of the NX-Studio. So how can it be spilling out? Maybe I have misunderstood something...

I believe Danny's talking about the step baffle loss here - so the frequency at which the wavelength is great enough that the sound frequency starts to curve around the baffle and travel in different directions. Sort of the effect you'd get if you flatten your hands and put them next to your mouth while talking, and then remove them. It changes the sound. If I'm following what Danny is saying correctly, this small dip, if anything, is beneficial in room as you are likely to get room gain around those frequencies. Also, as others have mentioned since this is on a 5 db scale it's not as severe of a dip as it may look.

pankon

« Reply #59 on: 1 May 2020, 06:22 pm »
I believe Danny's talking about the step baffle loss here - so the frequency at which the wavelength is great enough that the sound frequency starts to curve around the baffle and travel in different directions. Sort of the effect you'd get if you flatten your hands and put them next to your mouth while talking, and then remove them. It changes the sound. If I'm following what Danny is saying correctly, this small dip, if anything, is beneficial in room as you are likely to get room gain around those frequencies. Also, as others have mentioned since this is on a 5 db scale it's not as severe of a dip as it may look.

Oh, now I see where Danny was coming from. OK, clear. Thanks.

I am curious to try the NX-Studios...