final resistor question for Cornet: Rikens

markmaloof

« on: 23 Sep 2005, 12:27 am »
Down to ordering the final stuff to build a classic Cornet (with upgraded to BX370 transformer and constant current sink mod.)  While I think tubes would make the most difference, I'm using some upgraded parts.  I'll be using Dale-Vishay resistors for all the 1 watt values (ordering double the amount so I can measure and match pairs.), except I might try some 1% Rikens for critical areas.  I believe I read that R1 and R9 were good to upgrade to Rikens (this is the Classic Cornet, not Cornet 2), though I can't find that post now.  I also know that the 220 ohm resistors (all 12 of them) are grid stoppers, and dumping money into Rikens for this spot might not make much sense (in an economical way, at $4 a pop or so for Rikens, vs 40 cents for Vishays, the Vishays are going to win out if it's not a critical audio point on the board.)  Just wondering what resistors points besides R1 and R9 would be best for the more expensive Rikens?

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2005, 03:31 am »
No, not R1 and R9.  Although maybe R9.  I'd sink money into R3 and R5 first (150k plate loads), then R15 and R17 (910 cathode).  Then maybe R9, R13, and R23.

jh :)

markmaloof

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2005, 05:35 am »
Jim, thank you very much.  Now I can complete the parts order, and get ready for soldering fun.

By the way, are you going to the Rocky Mountain audio festivus?