Is it the best of the best ? ? ?

Guy 13

Is it the best of the best ? ? ?
« on: 21 Sep 2010, 10:54 am »

Hi all.
Yes, finally I have completed the phase one of the evaluation of my audio equipment.
(Phase two and three to follow in the weeks to come.)
List of the equipment used/tested :
Speakers : GR Research V-1

Amplifier : Niteshade Audio NS-15 (10wpc)

Volume most of the time set at 11 o’clock or 3 to 5 wpc.
Tubes supplied with the amplifier :
Raytheon 5U4GB (USA)
Motorola (NOS) 6SN7GTA (USA)
Sovtek 6L6WGC (Russia)
Alternative/tube rolling :
(Purchased from Tube Depot)
Sovtek 5AR4 (Russia)
Realistic 6SN7GTB (UK)
Sovtek 6L6WXT+ (Russia)
Interconnects : Signal Cables model : SilverRes-SilverBullet.
Speaker cables : Signal Cables model : ClassicSingleWire-C. (Spade/Banana)

Rega Apollo CD player
All the above listed equipment only has a few hours, therefore not yet broken/burn in.
Power supply : 230V/50Hz, no power conditioner.
Room treatment : 50% carpet, sofa, curtains…
                            50% concrete wall & ceiling w/ceramic floor
                            Medium reverberation...
Room size :
(Including living room, dining room, entrance hall and large stairs) 27 feet X 28 feet.
Actual listening area is : 12 feet X 15 feet.

Ceiling height : 9 feet 6 inches.
Distance between the V-1 is 8 feet in an equidistant triangle.
Distance from the back wall 5 feet.
Music used :
Bob Marley and the Wailers – Uprising (Reggae)
BABATUNDE OLATUNJI – Circle of drums.
The Dave Brubeck Quartet – Time out – Jazz.
Fanfare for a common man – TELARC DIGITAL (Drums)
Planet ZOUK – Maldon (Reggae)
Andreas Vollenweider – Behind the gardens – Pyramid (Harp)
I hope I have not forgotten any information, statistics or data.
If I did, please feel free to ask.
Now the BIG question. How does it sound ?
I will start with the bass : I love bass.
Natural, deep and tight. Perfect.
Mids and highs : Natural, depending on the recording.
A good system will sound bad if the recording (CD/LP) is badly recorded.
The highs are a little aggressive at times, probably due to the room acoustics, also complex music is a little fuzzy, lack details.
I mean a little, I can live with that.
If the CD is well recorded, then the listening pleasure is at its maximum.
Tube rolling did not make much difference for me in the sound quality, it was a little better with the tubes from Tube Depot (See above) but maybe it’s my imagination.
I am a believer in switching boxes for amplifier and speakers. When switching from one to the other within 2 to 4 seconds, you can really hear if there is a difference.   
My overall impression goes for all the equipment and the whole system and it’s…
Well, almost perfect for me and that’s because I am very demanding, otherwise, it would be perfect. I still have to compare the V-1 with the V-2, but for the amplifier, no problem, it’s doing his job beautifully, dead quiet, enough power and dynamic for my 97db efficient V-1.
I still need to try later on a NS-30 push pull Niteshade Audio amplifier to see if I can improve the dynamic, but for now, the NS-15 keeps me happy and for under : 1,000 USD it’s a deal.
In the past I had a Naim 60wpc for which I paid twice the price of the NS-15 and did not sound better, yes it had a very detailed sound, but also a very aggressive sound.
Tube is my cup of tea.
That’s all for now, more later…
Again, I must say, if you have questions, please ask.
Guy 13.

Wind Chaser

Re: Is it the best of the best ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:32 pm »
Looking at the bottom picture the coax driver appears to be well above ear level.  When you close your eyes, does the soundstage seem elevated?

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:07 pm »
Yeah, with the added height of the cabinet, plus the tall rollers, it looks really tall.

I would also image that the rollers are taking away quite a bit of bass response even if they lock.

What front end are you using and what type of power cables?

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:43 pm »
Looking at the bottom picture the coax driver appears to be well above ear level.  When you close your eyes, does the soundstage seem elevated?
Wind,
My V1s actually give a realistic height to the performers, in other words I don't feel I am looking down on them.  This is true of many recording of course not all recordings offer this effect.

Best,
Ed

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2010, 04:53 am »
Hi Wind Chaser.
When I got the V-1 built, I miss calculated the size for the Rythmik A370PEQ amplifier and Danny's crossover, therefore, that's why the PAudio coaxial driver is so high and now, it too complicated to cut it down, therefore I leave it like that and I sit higher...
When I close my eyes to listen to the music, I don't find the soundstage to be too much elevated. I will soon compare with my V-2 and hear which one project a better sound stage, however, to find out, you will have to wait a few more days.
I am curious and anxious to hear a real sound stage from either the V-1 and/or the V-2. I never had up to now any systems that really impressed my with sound stage. I am a little sceptical about wide and deep sound stage, does it really exist or is it imagaination ? ? ?
Stay tuned, I will be back...
Guy 13.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2010, 06:20 am »
Yeah, with the added height of the cabinet, plus the tall rollers, it looks really tall.

I would also image that the rollers are taking away quite a bit of bass response even if they lock.

What front end are you using and what type of power cables?
Hi Danny and all AC members.
Sorry for my limited knowledge with Sheakspear language, but what do you mean by : Front end ?
The CD ? If that's what you mean it's a Rega Apollo !
If you are asking about something else, please re-phrase your question. (Sorry)
Power cables are my own brew, it 14 gauge wires cut to the shortest possible length to reach a power distribution bar. (Don't forget that here in Vietnam, it's 230V/50Hz. so the current is cut in half.)
More questions, just ask.
Guy 13. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2010, 07:34 pm »
I am a little sceptical about wide and deep sound stage, does it really exist or is it imagaination ? ? ?

Don't be skeptical, it truly exists, but it takes a room to do it in. With what I see you will only be getting about 20% of what's capable. Knock down that wall behind the speakers and give a good 10 feet or more, more is better, and then you are getting somewhere.  8)

I like your basic sub woof case design.

Rocket_Ronny

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2010, 12:54 am »
Don't be skeptical, it truly exists, but it takes a room to do it in. With what I see you will only be getting about 20% of what's capable. Knock down that wall behind the speakers and give a good 10 feet or more, more is better, and then you are getting somewhere.  8)

I like your basic sub woof case design.
Rocket_Ronny
Hi Rocket Ronny !
That wall that you suggested me to knock down, it's a supporting wall and it's made of 12 inches of concrete and behind the wall it's my neighbour, I am sure my neighbour would not like me to extend my listening room into his bedroom and how about my wife, what would she say ?
That being said, I can pull back from the wall my speakers, because in front I have about 25 feet. Next Sunday, Sunday being my experimentation day, I will re-arrange my living room for one day to do  what you suggested and we will see and hear if my sound stage as increase. I am still a little sceptical...
My basic subwoofer desing might look good, however, yesterday I did the wiring and it's a nightmare to run all that spaghetti witing, so crowded...
Today I will make a side by side comparaison between the V-1 and the V-2.
Stay tuned.
Guy 13.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2010, 07:43 pm »
Où es-tu Guy 13?

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:16 am »
Où es-tu Guy 13?
Je suis ici !
I have received your PM and just sent you my PM with comments, questions and answers...
Guy 13.

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:17 am »
Okay, I demand to know what you two are up to.  :icon_twisted:

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:35 am »
Okay, I demand to know what you two are up to.  :icon_twisted:
Hi dvenardos.
What we are up to you ask ?
Nothing that I cannot share with all the Audio Circle member.
I am a (French) Canadian from Montreal, Quebec living and doing some good business in (Booming economy) Vietnam for the past 15 years and this gentlemen is a Vietnamese that is curious to know what I am doing in Vietnam.
That's not audio stuff, therefore, we have decided to exchange a few PM.
Is that O.K.?
Is that against the AC members rules ?
(Ha, ha...)
Is your curiosity satisfied ?
Have a nice day.
Guy 13.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:53 am »
I am a (French) Canadian from Montreal, Quebec living and doing some good business in (Booming economy) Vietnam for the past 15 years....

I guess you don't miss those winters in Montreal.....

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:07 am »
I guess you don't miss those winters in Montreal.....
Hi Lonewolf.
Hi hate cold, but I love snow ! Therefore, I miss walking in the snow and the snow falling slowly in the city...
Minds you, I also hate when the thermometer is getting close to 100F (39C) with humidity around 75%.
When I will retire in a few years from now, I will go back to Montreal, Quebec, Canada and enjoy my two favorite hobbies :
Audio and photography.
Thanks for writing and have a nice day.

Guy 13 in Vietnam,
but from Canada.

Mariusz

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:10 am »
Chris
I think it is essential for you to read this before engaging in farther conversation or making a "plaisanterie". :icon_lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:37 am »
Chris
I think it is essential for you to read this before engaging in farther conversation or making a "plaisanterie". :icon_lol:
Hi Mariusz.
For your information, there is a (BIG) difference between the French from France and the french speaking Canadian from the province of Quebec.
We do speak the same language, but we have differences, mainly culture wise. It's like the americans from Texas and from New York. Both are americans, however, you cannot denie that thet are quite different in many ways...
I don't want to be compared to the french from France and if someone does that, that's O.K. I won't get insulted, that's the plus of many French Canadians from Quebec. We like to laugh at ourselves, that's why we don't get insulted easily.
Well, that was my opnion, again for what it's worth.
Guy 13 in Vietnam,
but from the french speaking province of Quebec.

Mariusz

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:40 am »
 Polish poet, Antoni Słonimski, who once said: “God entrusted me with the humor of the Polish, sense of humor is antibiotics fatal for the virus of fanaticism”. Totally agree.
.......and it was just a test. :lol: :wink:

Mariusz :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:16 am »
Polish poet, Antoni Słonimski, who once said: “God entrusted me with the humor of the Polish, sense of humor is antibiotics fatal for the virus of fanaticism”. Totally agree.
.......and it was just a test. :lol: :wink:

Mariusz :thumb:
Hi (Again) Mariusz.
Without a good sense of humour, I could not have survived for the last 15 years in Vietnam.
Sometime, I think I am a little crazy to live and work in Vietnam.
Well, if I stayed here for so long, it's because of my Vietnamese wife and our business.

Have a nice day.
Guy 13.

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:22 am »
I am a (French) Canadian from Montreal, Quebec living and doing some good business in (Booming economy) Vietnam for the past 15 years and this gentlemen is a Vietnamese that is curious to know what I am doing in Vietnam.

Stephen is Vietnamese?
Wait a minute I have seen pictures of that guy and I had no idea.  :D

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:36 am »
Stephen is Vietnamese?
Wait a minute I have seen pictures of that guy and I had no idea.  :D
Hi dvenardos.
Ha.... So you have learned something today !
Guy 13.