Soundscape 10 review

DBeistel

Soundscape 10 review
« on: 20 May 2013, 02:00 am »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Soundscape 10 review
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2013, 03:09 am »
Good read, more well deserved recognition for Jim & Co and everything they do to get it right. Thanks for the post.  8)

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2013, 03:27 am »
The soundstage on my SS is huge. Not sure how this is considered a weakness.

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2013, 03:36 am »
Not a great review, but I think he gave the speakers some real credit. But he said a weakness was the other guys offer more choices of exotic finish. I kinda thought Salk did this....very well?? I think it's a strength of Salk, not a weakness? Am I missing something here?

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2013, 03:56 am »
I would not call it a real review from a "pro" who work for audiophile mag - as least, this was what I felt after reading his "review".

How did he set up the speaker? What gears did he used in the review? How was the sound with and without open back (an importance stand out feature of the Soundscape line)? Did he really say the Salk finishes is limited in exotic finish compare to the more main stream speaker company like B&W, Paradigm.....(get real)????? did he compare the sound (soundstage for example) of the Salk with any other speakers just to give readers a reference in their though. There are many more questions that did not get cover.

Anyway, it is still a positive "review".

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 04:00 am »
I would not call it a real review from a "pro" who work for audiophile mag - as least, this was what I felt after reading his "review".

I was just about the post the same thing.  I've heard the Soundscape 10s and to say that they don't image all that great?  Anyone can review things.  I do know reviewers and I have heard stories that did not impress me.  I always look for things like what was in the system, other things on hand, room configuration and treatments, etc.

funkmonkey

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 04:22 am »
A couple of things were blatantly inaccurate in that review... 

"Competition and Comparison
At $12,000 per pair, the Salk Signature SoundScape 10s have plenty of worthy competitors. The Wilson Sophia 3 ($16,700), the Revel Ultima Studio 2 ($16,000), the B&W 802 Diamond ($15,000), the Thiel CS2.7 ($9,900), and the Paradigm Signature S8 ($8,598) all fall within range. Many of these speakers come with better sensitivity or more exotic finishes. They also come with traditional distribution, which allows for an in-store demo."

Veneers and finnish are only limited by your own imagination with Salk...   I seriously doubt Wilson/Revel/B&W/Thiel/Paradigm would do a purple dyed yew veneer w/ inlayed stringers of ebony and redwood plinths if you asked them to, but I am sure Jim would oblige.  (and who would you ask with those other guys?  the dealer???  :lol: )

The other thing that I tend to think is false is this:
"Compared with other speakers in this lofty price class, the resale value on Salk products isn't quite as strong as that of, say, Wilson Audio, MartinLogan, or Bowers & Wilkins."

I always thought the opposite was true.   :scratch:

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 12:14 pm »
It's obvious to a novice that anything going through the standard retail chain of distribution is going to be at different price points due to that distribution and have less flexibility with some things.  I do understand about being able to demo things.  Until the Capital Audiofest, I was not able to hear Salks.  With that standard distribution though does come more mark-up.

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2013, 01:02 pm »
The author is obviously a novice reviewer.  Any audio beginner could have written that.  Too bad, too, because he was listening to some of the finest speakers on the planet.

JonnyFive

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2013, 01:10 pm »
Sounds like the author had three gripes.

1) Soundstage
2) Resale value
3) Finish options

As for the soundstage, what he was using up the chain and how he set them up remains a complete mystery.  He should clarify.

2) and 3) are false, and I think someone should email him to amend his review. In particular for 3), who else offers infinite finish options and at reasonable prices? Legacy charges over a thousand dollars for a "premium" finish, Jim just charges the cost of veneer.  :/

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2013, 01:10 pm »
As an owner, I added a constructive reply

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2013, 01:12 pm »
DBeistel  - nice catch on finding the review and sharing it here

overall it was a  positive review

Mr Ho loved the sound and he is actually reviewing a dealer direct product - a rariety
he didn't have all the elements correct however

you can comment on his review page

there is a section where you can email them if you disagree with their product rating  - see upper right

be nice, constructive, don't gang pile

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2013, 02:53 pm »
It definitely was not a very professional review. It was not negative review for SS10. However he did miss on several things, the comment on speaker finish was the most glaring. He seem to lie heavy on the low frequency response. Not very much on the RAAL and midrange capabilities. Did he comment on the open back and stuffing capabilities?
The only kind of negative comment I agree on is the sensitivity, you do need a strong power amp to get the most out of ss10.

The bad thing is I think a person new to Salk speakers would be somewhat confused after reading the review.

MikeC78

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2013, 05:33 pm »
Definitely not a well written review.  Really confused on the limited finish option, as there are more options with Salk than any other speaker manufacturer.  I'm sure anyone looking at a pair of SS10's will take that review with a grain of salt...

JonnyFive

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2013, 05:55 pm »
I sent a respectful email about about the resale value and the finish option statements, but it doesn't sound like there's any interest in amending the review.

MikeC78

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2013, 06:59 pm »
Good catch, I forgot about the resale value comment...   Another laughable comment, since the resale value is quite high!  You can resell them for nearly as much as what you paid for them.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2013, 07:53 pm »
To me it's a reflection of the site that allows such a less than accurate review with less than accurate information.  When I look at things like video performance of Blu-Ray players or other audio/video things when you go to a site like hometheaterhifi.com you feel as though you are getting value added information vs. misinformation.

herb999

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2013, 11:14 pm »
As P.T. Barnum said, " . . . as long as they spell my name right."

Glad to see Jim get the publicity because it makes people curious so more will check out Salk speakers and learn how good they are.
I've made mine available for audition.

Herb

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2013, 02:18 pm »
Other than the exotic veneer and the resale value comment I thought the review was good and mostly positive, albeit lacking in detail and specifics.  Soundstaging abilities is dominated by the room and reflections.  It is referred to as "apparent source width" in Floyd Toole's book, and will vary heavily depending on the room.  It would be nice if we knew specifics about the listener's room.

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2013, 10:04 pm »
I thought perhaps a comment might be in order...

I'm reminded of that old saying, "paper never refuses ink."  We live in a great country where publishers have the freedom to post anything they want.

There is no need to comment on specifics except to ask a simple question:  Does it make sense that someone who was dissatisfied with the number of finish options available, believed the resale value of our speakers to be inferior, and felt that the Salk speakers he heard offered less value than a host of other products out there, would turn around and spend over $16,000 of his own money to purchase our SoundScape 12’s?

Reviewers review and publishers edit (there is a difference). Paper never refuses ink and the internet never refuses published reviews.  Enough said.

- Jim