Sub integration with the SongTowers

blackscorpio

Sub integration with the SongTowers
« on: 21 Jul 2012, 07:00 am »
Hi,
I am planning a 2.1 setup with SongTowers. I just ordered my SongTowers and already have an Rythmic F15. So, I have been hunting for electonics and I was at this crossroads, buy a receiver with a sub out or separates with Parasound 2100 and an amp. I have asked for help at AVS and was suggested to post here to get better/relevant replies. so, please enlighten me.

1. what all options are there to integrate a sub with the SongTowers?
2. what is the best way?

I understand it depends on what type of equipment you have but I want to know what all options are out there, for my understanding. I am noob and trying to get the basics.

TIA

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Sub integration with the SongTowers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2012, 03:09 pm »
Velodyne SMS-1.  $339.00 on Amazon.

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2012, 03:30 pm »
Dspeaker Antimode 8033c or Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0. :thumb:
I have a 2.2 system and use the 8033s with great success. I'll be taking delivery of the D/C 2.0 late next week...will post review accordingly.

http://www.dspeaker.com/

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/online_store/dspeaker_store.html

Chris

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2012, 04:54 pm »
Dspeaker Antimode 8033c or Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0. :thumb:
I have a 2.2 system and use the 8033s with great success. I'll be taking delivery of the D/C 2.0 late next week...will post review accordingly.

http://www.dspeaker.com/

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/online_store/dspeaker_store.html

Chris

I'd be interested in how the dual core works for overall room compensation.  I currently use a pre/pro with Audyssey XT32 and don't want to give it up.  This prevents use of a dedicated 2 channel preamp.  If there were a product that could compete with the Audyssey results, that could change my mind. 

...........Peter

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2012, 05:48 am »
Hi,
I am planning a 2.1 setup with SongTowers. I just ordered my SongTowers and already have an Rythmic F15. So, I have been hunting for electonics and I was at this crossroads, buy a receiver with a sub out or separates with Parasound 2100 and an amp. I have asked for help at AVS and was suggested to post here to get better/relevant replies. so, please enlighten me.

1. what all options are there to integrate a sub with the SongTowers?
2. what is the best way?

I understand it depends on what type of equipment you have but I want to know what all options are out there, for my understanding. I am noob and trying to get the basics.

TIA

Forget the receiver. Buy a companion power amp for the Parasound 2100...a Parasound amp would be fine...a Halo even better. Sorry, it's really not clear from your statement if you already own the 2100, but separates is the way to go. The SongTowers deserve decent amplification. The 2100 mentioned had sub outs , so you're set. Just buy some Blue Jeans IC's for your run to the F15 at the length you need for your set up.

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2012, 08:19 pm »
I thinkg the 2100 parasound is a decent and affordable preamp with great features.
Just make sure the you find your best sub placements. i think since this preamp have no processing, find the right spot to integrate with the sub becomes an issue. With receiver, you can play with distance, and not worry about too much on location and still get pretty cent sound.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2012, 08:47 pm »
Velodyne SMS-1.  $339.00 on Amazon.

I use two of these in my HT to help dial in 3-7 subs depending on my configuration.

Once dialed in, they work very well with my five SongTowers.

George

blackscorpio

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2012, 12:47 am »
Forget the receiver. Buy a companion power amp for the Parasound 2100...a Parasound amp would be fine...a Halo even better. Sorry, it's really not clear from your statement if you already own the 2100, but separates is the way to go. The SongTowers deserve decent amplification. The 2100 mentioned had sub outs , so you're set. Just buy some Blue Jeans IC's for your run to the F15 at the length you need for your set up.

No, I haven't bought the 2100 yet. But I bought an AVA amp.

blackscorpio

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2012, 12:51 am »
I thinkg the 2100 parasound is a decent and affordable preamp with great features.
Just make sure the you find your best sub placements. i think since this preamp have no processing, find the right spot to integrate with the sub becomes an issue. With receiver, you can play with distance, and not worry about too much on location and still get pretty cent sound.

I am sorry but I was in the assumption that it does have some kind of processing since it has sub out. I am sure I am 100% wrong.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:08 am »
I am sorry but I was in the assumption that it does have some kind of processing since it has sub out. I am sure I am 100% wrong.

The Parasound 2100 Preamplifier does have buffered circuits to sum an analog stereo input into mono sub outputs and it does have an adjustable 20Hz - 140Hz low-pass filter, but it does not have digital processing that can adjust time delay to compensate for distance, as do most surround sound processors/receivers and some subwoofer processors.

Steve

blackscorpio

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:51 am »
The Parasound 2100 Preamplifier does have buffered circuits to sum an analog stereo input into mono sub outputs and it does have an adjustable 20Hz - 140Hz low-pass filter, but it does not have digital processing that can adjust time delay to compensate for distance, as do most surround sound processors/receivers and some subwoofer processors.

Steve

Thank you Steve for explaining.

I remember reading a post from Jim about integrating a sub manually, adjusting the gain and xxx. is it an option if I go separates route with 2100 and an amp? Right now I am limited on budget.

What are the other options? What are better options than 2100 and amp? I recently bought an used AVA amp, what options do I have for a budget of $1000?

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2012, 07:06 pm »
My friend just built a pair of Rythmik subs. If yours has the same plate amp, it has all you'll ever need in the way of adjustments and tuning. Now just go find a nice pre-amp with sub outs( perhaps a used AVA to match the amp) as the it seems the Rythmik wants to be feed by line level. ( IC's from the sub out of your pre-amp)

blackscorpio

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2012, 06:48 pm »
My friend just built a pair of Rythmik subs. If yours has the same plate amp, it has all you'll ever need in the way of adjustments and tuning. Now just go find a nice pre-amp with sub outs( perhaps a used AVA to match the amp) as the it seems the Rythmik wants to be feed by line level. ( IC's from the sub out of your pre-amp)

I assume it is the same plate amp as I bought it recently and from the rythmic site all of their amps have the same set of features. so, what you are suggesting is manual room correction with the control on the sub amp?

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2012, 07:09 pm »
Absolutely. That's one of the most versatile plate amps for tuning I've ever seen. .....at least without spending thousands.

blackscorpio

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2012, 08:27 pm »
Absolutely. That's one of the most versatile plate amps for tuning I've ever seen. .....at least without spending thousands.

I quick peek into AVA pre, looks like none has a sub out, any thoughts?

PSB Guy

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2012, 08:44 pm »
I quick peek into AVA pre, looks like none has a sub out, any thoughts?
All of the preamps that AVA sell have two sets of pre-outs (left and right) that you can use to hook up one or more subs.

Cornelis

blackscorpio

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:04 pm »
All of the preamps that AVA sell have two sets of pre-outs (left and right) that you can use to hook up one or more subs.

Cornelis

Thank you for pointing out. But I initially I looked at this one http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107971.0 I don't see any pre-outs.

And if its separate left and right pre-outs, how do I connect the sub woofer? I believe I will be connecting to left and right on the plate amp, its like feeding full range and use the crossover of the sub, right?

PSB Guy

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:42 pm »
Thank you for pointing out. But I initially I looked at this one http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107971.0 I don't see any pre-outs.

And if its separate left and right pre-outs, how do I connect the sub woofer? I believe I will be connecting to left and right on the plate amp, its like feeding full range and use the crossover of the sub, right?
That one is a rebuilt Dynaco Super PAS 3 pre with AVA curcuits,  so it  may not have two sets of preouts. All the new ones do, I think Frank has been building them this way for quite a while. And yes,  thats how I would hook it up. Hope this helps.

Cornelis

blackscorpio

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2012, 09:45 pm »
That one is a rebuilt Dynaco Super PAS 3 pre with AVA curcuits,  so it  may not have two sets of preouts. All the new ones do, I think Frank has been building them this way for quite a while. And yes,  thats how I would hook it up. Hope this helps.

Cornelis

For now I am good with parasound 2100, will upgrade to AVA pre later when I can afford.