Super Alnico High Output XRS Amp Synergy

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
Super Alnico High Output XRS Amp Synergy
« on: 13 Oct 2018, 12:00 am »
Hey all,

I'm researching a possible upcoming purchase and I would like the forums opinion on SET power amplifiers with good synergy with the Omega Super Alnico High Output XRS. My overall budget is around 10k. This is what I'm thinking thus far:

Super Alnico High Output XRS - $4,695.00
DeepHemp 8 Subwoofer - $895.00
DeepHemp 8 Subwoofer - $895.00

total = $6485.00

So that leaves me with about 4k for the power amplifier. Not interested in integrated amplifiers only SET power amplifiers. Forum members who own or have spent considerable time with the Super Alnico High Output XRS's recommend some superior SET power amplification choices for me!

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

RDavidson

Re: Super Alnico High Output XRS Amp Synergy
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2018, 02:09 am »
Are you only interested in tubes?
If not, I've found Pass Labs / First Watt to have very nice synergy with Omegas (some better than others). I've had most of the First Watt models and the lower powered Pass XA amps through my home over the last 5 years or so. The only ones I haven't had a chance to try (yet) are the SIT amps, unfortunately.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2018, 02:19 am »
Apologies, I should have provided more information. Yes, I am only interested in tube based amplification currently.

The room size is 17' 3" X 13' 6" - 232.88 SqFt - Vaulted Ceiling.

My primary listening preferences are Jazz, Fusion, Classic Rock, occasionally some Electronic.

If there is any additional information I can provide please ask. Thanks everyone.

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm »
Find a used pair of the Coincident Frankenstein M300b mkII monoblocks (between $3k to $4k). Great pairing with the HO. I’ve been using them with my SAM HO monitors for quite a while, and have no desire to change them out. My room is quite a bit larger than yours, and even at 8wpc, the room is filled with glorious music, usually played at an average listening level of 80-85 dB or so... you won’t be disappointed!

guf

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2018, 01:46 pm »
Yeah I'm using a 8 watt 300b Line magnetic amp with my HO SAMs. I watch the meter and it barely hits 1 watt. in my 19x 13 room.  I've also used a 45 amp at less that 2 watts with beautiful sound, so beautiful you want to really turn it up and it doesn't. And I use a ACA with 8 watts on my desktop top super 3is and love the sound.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2018, 02:33 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations thus far everyone. Will research these suggestions. Please keep them coming, very helpful.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2018, 04:54 pm »
Scott,

Have you taken a look at the used gear that Echo Hifi sells? They've regularly got tube amps in the racks - not sure how often they have SET amps.

http://echohifi.com/inventory.php?c=4

Across the Columbia River in Vancouver, there's a guy making deHavilland tube gear:

http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/

Michael

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2018, 05:06 pm »
Scott,

Have you taken a look at the used gear that Echo Hifi sells? They've regularly got tube amps in the racks - not sure how often they have SET amps.

http://echohifi.com/inventory.php?c=4

Across the Columbia River in Vancouver, there's a guy making deHavilland tube gear:

http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/

Michael

I'm familiar with Echo HiFi and Pearl Audio Video.

I'm kinda on a mission to demo as many local high efficiency SET tube based systems as possible currently. I'm hoping some local forum members will be kind enough to demo their systems for me. I've been exposed to typical 'hif-fi' gear and I'm on a mission for something different this time.

I've been doing months and months of research and I have a hunch this is going to be the best fit for my listening needs.

Thank you for your recommendations.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2018, 05:08 pm »
Find a used pair of the Coincident Frankenstein M300b mkII monoblocks (between $3k to $4k). Great pairing with the HO. I’ve been using them with my SAM HO monitors for quite a while, and have no desire to change them out. My room is quite a bit larger than yours, and even at 8wpc, the room is filled with glorious music, usually played at an average listening level of 80-85 dB or so... you won’t be disappointed!

@MarkR7 The Coincident Frankenstein M300b mkII monoblocks have amazing reviews. There is no manual to download from the manufacture's site. Each monoblock appears to have 1 RCA input and 3 speaker level outputs is that correct? So in your setup with with 2 monitors and 2 subs you run one line to the speaker and one line to the sub from each monoblock?

I may have to extend my budget now, if I can't find used ones or I become impatient ;) Thanks for your help again.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2018, 07:46 pm »
I could also pick different subs to save a few bucks to put towards the amps.

Jorge

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2018, 09:30 pm »
Hi, already more than 300h with SAHO XRS connected to ZTOL 10+ Micro ZTOL forma Linear Tubería Audio. Without  doubt one of the best combo out in the market. Still money left for a great speaker cable forma Louis.

MarkR7

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2018, 10:05 pm »
I have the option of using either high level speaker outputs from my amps to my sub, or I can use the lower level RCA outputs from my preamp to my sub (the latter is what I do for now). My Franks have 1 set of outputs to the speakers, optimized for 4 to 8 ohm loads. The earlier versions may have had more taps, or maybe that’s an option in current monoblocks? The SAM HOs are 6 ohms if I recall correctly.

@MarkR7 The Coincident Frankenstein M300b mkII monoblocks have amazing reviews. There is no manual to download from the manufacture's site. Each monoblock appears to have 1 RCA input and 3 speaker level outputs is that correct? So in your setup with with 2 monitors and 2 subs you run one line to the speaker and one line to the sub from each monoblock?

I may have to extend my budget now, if I can't find used ones or I become impatient ;) Thanks for your help again.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn

peckjed

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2018, 10:57 pm »
I actually have a pair of ebony SAM HO monitors and stands for sale if you're interested in saving some money. :)

But in terms of single ended power amps take a look at Dennis Had Inspire amps (the founder of Cary audio). He makes EXCELLENT quality SET, SEP and Parallel SE amps. I am currently using a 20w PSE power amp of his with my Red Wine Audio preamp to drive SAM HO's and they sound delightful. His amps run between 1500-2500 depending on the configuration and he also sells preamps. In my opinion they are one of the best SE deals around!

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2018, 11:04 pm »
I actually have a pair of ebony SAM HO monitors and stands for sale if you're interested in saving some money. :)

But in terms of single ended power amps take a look at Dennis Had Inspire amps (the founder of Cary audio). He makes EXCELLENT quality SET, SEP and Parallel SE amps. I am currently using a 20w PSE power amp of his with my Red Wine Audio preamp to drive SAM HO's and they sound delightful. His amps run between 1500-2500 depending on the configuration and he also sells preamps. In my opinion they are one of the best SE deals around!

Great, I'll check those out. Thanks for the recommendation.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2018, 05:29 pm »
I have the option of using either high level speaker outputs from my amps to my sub, or I can use the lower level RCA outputs from my preamp to my sub (the latter is what I do for now). My Franks have 1 set of outputs to the speakers, optimized for 4 to 8 ohm loads. The earlier versions may have had more taps, or maybe that’s an option in current monoblocks? The SAM HOs are 6 ohms if I recall correctly.

I emailed Coincident and Israel responded super quickly on a Sunday. He was very helpful and confirmed the current generation of the M300B Frankenstein MK IIs have two speaker level outputs (nominal Impedance from 3 -16 ohms) per monoblock. So you can drive both a tower and a subwoofer with each monoblock. :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2018, 08:04 pm »
I emailed Coincident and Israel responded super quickly on a Sunday. He was very helpful and confirmed the current generation of the M300B Frankenstein MK IIs have two speaker level outputs (nominal Impedance from 3 -16 ohms) per monoblock.So you can drive both a tower and a subwoofer with each monoblock. :thumb:

All amplifiers can do that.

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2018, 08:20 pm »
All amplifiers can do that.

Yep.  Two pair of binding posts not needed.  Simply attach 2 cables to each binding post -- one to the main spkr, and one to the sub.  I do it all the time.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2018, 08:51 pm »
Yep.  Two pair of binding posts not needed.  Simply attach 2 cables to each binding post -- one to the main spkr, and one to the sub.  I do it all the time.

For my own edification, why do manufacturers include multiple speaker level outs then?