New mountain bike???

coke

New mountain bike???
« on: 23 Jun 2014, 04:42 pm »
I'm replacing a 2012 Niner Rip 9.  I'm looking for something lighter and more responsive. I'd also like something that can handle tight switchbacks better.  I think the amount of travel is about right though.  This will be used for a little of everything including some small jumps and drops and possibly some XC racing.  It's VERY rocky where I live.  I'm 5'11 165 pounds. My downhill and technical riding skills are a lot better than my climbing and speed, so I'd prefer to sacrifice some downhill performance to help me where I'm weak.

I test rode a specialized camber and liked it, but I don't think it has enough travel for me.  So far my top choice is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert carbon 29 with the brain on the rear shock.

I don't really have a budget but would prefer to stay under $7k.

Any input is appreciated  :thumb:

naca5

Re: New mountain bike???
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2014, 06:03 pm »
Try Yeti, I find them really helpful for climbing and reallu funny for DH.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2014, 06:10 pm »
Yet I sb95 or 75, trek remedy, Santa Cruz Bronson or tallboy...

coke

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2014, 06:43 pm »
Thanks. I'm in eastern Oklahoma and it's difficult to find bikes to test ride.

naca5

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2014, 06:48 pm »
you can't go wrong with Yeti's....I've tried so many before

coke

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2014, 08:04 pm »
It looks like the SB95 carbon comes with fairly weak wheels.  One of the specs has Stans Crest, which aren't quite up to the trails I have around here based upon what I've read.  I only have experience with the Flow rims on my bike though and not the arch or crest.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2014, 08:05 pm »
Yetis are great but so is pretty much everything these days. At enduro races I see a lot of Santa Cruz, Yeti and Trek.... I think fit and feel are more important than brand as nobody has a significant tech advantage over anyone else imo. 

If you haven't rode a 27.5" bike give it a try, I have a '14 Trek Slash and the wheel size is really great imo...

coke

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:18 pm »
I'll try to find one, but I really think I need 29" for my trails. 

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2014, 09:06 pm »
Try 650b wheels on a full suspension with the least travel in the rear you can get for the quality of bike you want.

650b is much better for switchbacks and the other technical stuff than 29. 29 is for rolling over, not turning and what not. 26 was always too small.

LadyDog

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2014, 10:36 pm »
As mentioned, if switchback is your main focus, you'd be better off with a 26" wheel than a 29'er. 

Certainly try some 27.5's, as it may offer a good compromise with your other criteria.  Personally, I do not notice much difference between 26 and 27.5.   

Thankfully with $7k budget you should end up with a very nice ride.

guf

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2014, 02:32 am »
Ibis Ripley

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2014, 06:25 pm »
As mentioned, if switchback is your main focus, you'd be better off with a 26" wheel than a 29'er. 

Certainly try some 27.5's, as it may offer a good compromise with your other criteria.  Personally, I do not notice much difference between 26 and 27.5.   

Thankfully with $7k budget you should end up with a very nice ride.

How tall are you? Larger wheels get significantly more useful for anything but straight roll-over, the bigger you get. I'm 6'2" and always had problems with 26" tires rolling nearly off the rim and making me biff it.

coke

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2014, 06:57 pm »
I test road a large stumpjumper.  It was very similar to my to my rip 9 and not quite what I'm looking for.  I found a local place that has aSanta Cruz Bronson and 5010 bikes to test.  After doing some research, the carbon 5010 with a Pike fork may be what I need.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2014, 07:40 pm »
I would be looking at Santa Cruz for sure.

I personally like hard tails, so this would appeal to me GREATLY. It wouldn't stop you from doing what you do, and may prove more reliable ultimately.

Orbea Team looks sweet. 

The Occam M30 29er looks badass too. While I was first inclined toward 27.5, this machine is my idea of a bike. It can do it all, but it's not some giant pedal power robbing monster. That's my biggest complaint on a lot of bikes. I don't want rear suspension for taking impacts (it should be able), I want it for traction.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2014, 08:20 pm »
How tall are you? Larger wheels get significantly more useful for anything but straight roll-over, the bigger you get. I'm 6'2" and always had problems with 26" tires rolling nearly off the rim and making me biff it.

That's an issue with setup and tire type... World cup DH racers use 26" tires without this kind of issue, and I'm betting they corner A LOT harder than you.  :)

That said the 27.5 and 29" tires are not as tall as 26" and they do have less tendency to squirm or roll over.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2014, 08:24 pm »
I test road a large stumpjumper.  It was very similar to my to my rip 9 and not quite what I'm looking for.  I found a local place that has aSanta Cruz Bronson and 5010 bikes to test.  After doing some research, the carbon 5010 with a Pike fork may be what I need.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

The 5010 is a newer bike and the Bronson is due for a redesign, probably within the next year... But if you don't need the extra 25mm travel the 5010 is awesome, can't go wrong there. I'd also look at a Trek Remedy if you have the chance, they come in both 29 and 27.5.

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2014, 05:38 pm »
Actually down hill racers have way more suspension travel to suck up the forces that would cause roll over. Do they have nicer gear than I? Well, ya.