Bike questions

chip

Bike questions
« on: 17 Aug 2012, 05:04 pm »
I started casual riding on the road with my current MT Bike 2-4 times a week. If I keep this up I may want to consider a better road bike come next year. I will do research/test ride if I can etc.
Say I don’t want to spend more than $1200

The following is a little info I know and have questions on.

Brand Names
 GT, Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
A local place carries the following – Felt, Orbea, Redline, Ridley, Specialized

What types of bikes should I be looking at?

Components
What components should I be looking for on the bike when spending $1200?

Sizing/Fitting
What size bike will I be looking at?

What are some key differences between these two style bikes?
http://www.gtbicycles.com/2013/bikes/road/performance/gtr-cx-sport
http://www.gtbicycles.com/2013/bikes/road/performance/tachyon-2-0

Also any good Bike sites to find out more info/comparisons that you may prefer>

jackman

Re: Bike questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2012, 06:01 pm »
Your question is straightforward but very complicated to answer.  I'll take a shot but have a couple questions:

Are you only planning to casually ride by yourself for short distances (for fitness) or do you plan to participate in group rides or long distance rides, etc.?   

Do you plan to ride competitively or are you conerned with speed or technical rides (hills, etc.)?

What is your age and current fitness level?  What is your flexibility level?  How much do you weigh?

Will you ever plan to use the bike off road or on gravel/chip and seal roads?

If you are young and want a bike that will handle well, go fast, and be relatively lightweight, with an upgradeable frame, I'd suggest a Cannondale CAAD10 with SRAM Apex or Shimano 105.  It's a bit above your price range but is a great racing frame.   This is a race frame and not suitable for most casual or older riders who lack flexibility.  If you are looking for a comfortable bike, there are some good options in your range, but you should look for something with an endurance or relaxed geometry frame.  These usually have longer wheelbase, slack seat and head tube angles, shorter top tube and longer head tube. 

chip

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2012, 06:12 pm »
For now riding for Fitness and I am still concerned about speed/technical riding etc.

I am 40 and have been in an over 30 soccer league for the last 3 years. We play 3 seasons a year. Feb-March, April - July, Sept - Nov. so that is my only other form of exercise as of now.

The last one is a good question and not sure on off road at all. Right now I ride on the road and some trails that are paved but bumpy so the MT bike is great for the 2nd part.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2012, 06:21 pm »
In that case, I'd encourage you to find a local shop that sells Cannondale and test the CAAD10.  It will be tough to get one in your price range but that is an awesome frame (aluminum but good riding and excellent handling) and a real bargain.  You can upgrade it later with higher end parts (better wheels, groupset, etc.) if you wish, but it's very race-worthy or long ride worthy in stock form.   They make one with Rival groupset and 105 but it's higher than your range.  It is very lightweight and highly rated, and cool looking.  I've not tested the GT but you are more likely to see a Cannondale in a serious group of riders. 

MSRP on the C'dale is around $1500 but you may be able to swing a deal on a '11 model.  The matte black and polished (raw) aluminum look very cool:

http://road-bikes.findthebest.com/l/503/2012-Cannondale-CAAD-X-5-105

If I was in your shoes, I'd take a good look at the C'dale.  The lower end Trek bikes are also pretty nice.  They are aluminum but have decent rides, lifetime warranty and several fit options.  You might find a new, but previous year's model, for a good price. 

If you are in Chicago, I'd be happy to suggest a good shop.  I'm friends with the owner and he offers deep discounts on demo bikes.  He is also an excellent fitter (former racer as well) who I trust.  He is a dealer for Specialized, Ridley and a couple other brands.  Just let me know.  Good luck!

J

chip

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2012, 06:25 pm »
I am out in Oregon. Like I said need to do some research....make sure I keep riding then make the  move.

Did a quick little reading and there is mention of the Cannondale Caad8/10 and the Synapse(being the more comfy ride).

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2012, 08:03 pm »
You live in a great place to ride bikes.  Test everything in your range and find a good local shop or two to work with.  They Synapse is an comfort geometry. Might be good for you.  There are several great frame builders in Portland but I think that route will blow your budget.

I'm actually thinking about the CAAD 10 for my next bike. It's a great frame.

LadyDog

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2012, 09:11 pm »
As Jack mentions, the CAAD10 is a lot of bike for the money.

$1,200 is somewhat a tough price point for road bikes.  Many manufactures have models sub $1,000, then jump into the $1,500 range. 

Imo, $1,400 - $1,800 is a sweet spot.  Easy for me to say, but might be worth it to save a few hundred more to add to the budget.

In that range, some others to maybe consider;  Giant Defy, Giant TCR, Specialized Allez, Specialized Roubaix, and Felt F6.  Imagine there is something in the Trek lineup too.