Good but cheap high-rez DACs?

wushuliu

Re: Good but cheap high-rez DACs?
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2010, 06:50 pm »
Here is an update on decision making process so far.

After investigating the DACs suggested here (and others), I concluded that my Mini with its USB 1.0 connections was not going to do the job. So I've ordered a refurbished Mini with USB 2.0. (and Firewire 800).

Many of the DACs I looked at could only output 44.1 kHz over USB--although the HRT supported up to 96 kHz. There seemed to be more options on with S/PDIF, so I've ordered an M2 Tech HiFace to convert USB to RCA.

Of course, these expenses haven't left much for a high-rez DAC. For comparison purposes I've ordered the new 24bit/192 kHz Gigawork DAC, which runs about $80 shipped. (I'm actually pretty satisfied with their upsampling DAC.) If nothing else, the Gigawork will provide a baseline when I can afford to trial something that is more upmarket.

Steve

Steve, you tried the Gigawork w/ the transformer mod, right? Do you think there's a retail dac that could compare/surpass for under $350? (serious question, not being provocative). Cause I would buy whatever option that was in a heartbeat!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2010, 07:03 pm »
http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09

I bought one of the above two weeks ago and love it, I'm not sure its got the specs your looking for but its worth it to check
out the site if you haven't already, if you have then oops... :thumb: :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2010, 07:16 pm »
http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09

I bought one of the above two weeks ago and love it, I'm not sure its got the specs your looking for but its worth it to check
out the site if you haven't already, if you have then oops... :thumb: :thumb:

Wow, nice find.  Grant Fidelity is an AC frequenter, gets good reviews (nice thread on Cheap/Cheerful), and this DAC is not only 24/96 but also gives you the choice of an SS out or a tube out.  For $225!  Nice.

lo_tse

In a related search...

We are looking for a reasonably priced D/A with balanced outputs and a level control .  Price target is <$600 street.  We can go a bit higher if necessary.  Any recommendations???

The idea is for preamp-less complete system driven by Apple Lossless tracks on iPod into a Wadia dock, so coax S/PDIF is also required.  The Wadia unit has no TOSLINK or AES/EBU (AES3).  Related post:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58526.msg730574#msg730574

From what I gethered, the Matrix i-mini is a DAC that is "truly balanced" (one DAC chip per channel) and has balanced (XLR) output connection.  It also has level control that can doubles as a preamp.  The reponses are quite positive so far and the priced around 320 US$.

Hope these info are useful to you.

Lo-tse

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #44 on: 31 May 2010, 09:58 pm »
I've been very pleased with the Gigawork DAC, but I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to anything else. The folks on the diyAudio thread (which is massive) have said it compares favorably with DACs costing hundreds of dollars (post modification). To clarify, I have the transformers for the output mod but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm planning to try that change as soon as the new 24bit/192 kHz Gigawork. (That way I won't be dead in the water if I lift a tracing or commit some other error.) The new high rez Gigawork DAC should arrive this week, so I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin. As mentioned earlier, it's only $80 shipped. So who knows how it's going to perform.

Steve

firedog

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jun 2010, 07:55 am »
Wow, nice find.  Grant Fidelity is an AC frequenter, gets good reviews (nice thread on Cheap/Cheerful), and this DAC is not only 24/96 but also gives you the choice of an SS out or a tube out.  For $225!  Nice.

Looks like a Grant branding of the same DAC as the Maverick DAC. Not a bad thing as Grant will back it up and they are generally very helpful.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 1 Jun 2010, 10:38 pm »
The nice thing about them (Grant) is they have wonderful customer service. If I have an issue with the DAC I have a number to call, that and the fact I caught a Hot Deal, get a discount going forward and it sounds, thats right Sounds excellent!! They also ship it configured as a line level DAC with the volume pot out of the mix except for headphone output and its an easy tweak to enable volume pot all around if I ever need to use it as a pre-amp. I don't work for them in any way but the way they've handled a simple sale with 10 times the value of that sale in customer service they are definitely on my short list as I spend away on this hobby/obsession/vice/addiction... :duh:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:15 pm »
Just an update on where I am with my high-rez dac search. The Chinese 2010 24/192 DAC was partially DOA. One of the caps had separated from the board (on the power supply apparently), and it was only producing sound out of one channel.

The packaging was shockingly inadequate given that many of the components are surface-mounted. Bubble pack and a soft envelope are no way to shipping a delicate set of electronics all the way from Hong Kong.  :nono:

Fortunately, the seller has indicated he will refund my purchase price with shipping--once the parts make the three-week trip back to his location.

I'm now looking at the Matrix mini, CryoPart Pop, and Grant Fidelity DAC. Just don't want to deal with anymore direct-from-China purchases, however. 

wushuliu

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:38 pm »
Bummer.  The hk/Chinese connection does grow old...

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 11 Jun 2010, 07:46 pm »
I can only speak for Grant as a customer but they have excellent, I'm talking: reply to email on Sunday excellent customer service!!!!!!
They have been and continue to be absolutely committed to customer service....FWIW...sorry I got a little pumped there...LOL :duh:
 Sorry..I forgot I wrote that above..OOPS!!

wushuliu

« Reply #50 on: 11 Jun 2010, 07:50 pm »
I can only speak for Grant as a customer but they have excellent, I'm talking: reply to email on Sunday excellent customer service!!!!!!
They have been and continue to be absolutely committed to customer service....FWIW...sorry I got a little pumped there...LOL :duh:
 Sorry..I forgot I wrote that above..OOPS!!

Happy Hour started early. We understand. :wink:

TGIF!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jun 2010, 08:13 pm »
LOL...it started when I was 15 and ended when I was 30...I got a new toy today so I'm totally amped, another thread...Have a Great Weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

hasekisgod

« Reply #52 on: 31 Jul 2010, 02:20 am »
hello guys well Im new here and been reading what dac I want also. I have a linestage tube preamp a guy in chicago built by hand I will be using w two of the class d audio 250x2 at 8 ohms boards. now as for the dac I been looking at these.

this one the same as the maverick? but cheaper
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAC-tube-Amp-Multifuctional-Decoders-Headphone-Pre-amp-/260634798493?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caf0b699d

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/great-USB-valve-TUBE-DAC-kit-recommend-/170517344355?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b3a03063

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tube-CD-DAC-Kit-PCB-w-Parts-6DJ8-PCM63K-24-96KHz-DAC50-/290457942891?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a0a47b6b

will any of these give me true hi-res
I do like the tubey sound and I dont care about a case for now. thanks mjc

wushuliu

« Reply #53 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:14 am »
hello guys well Im new here and been reading what dac I want also. I have a linestage tube preamp a guy in chicago built by hand I will be using w two of the class d audio 250x2 at 8 ohms boards. now as for the dac I been looking at these.

this one the same as the maverick? but cheaper
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAC-tube-Amp-Multifuctional-Decoders-Headphone-Pre-amp-/260634798493?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caf0b699d

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/great-USB-valve-TUBE-DAC-kit-recommend-/170517344355?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b3a03063

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tube-CD-DAC-Kit-PCB-w-Parts-6DJ8-PCM63K-24-96KHz-DAC50-/290457942891?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a0a47b6b

will any of these give me true hi-res
I do like the tubey sound and I dont care about a case for now. thanks mjc

For roughly the same money why not get the Maverick tube DAC that has gotten a lot of coverage here?

Of the three above, only the last one provides a full list of specs and seems to have the highest quality parts.

Here's another option. I like this seller. His boards are well made and he's very responsive. And he ONLY sells his DACs and nothing else or anyone else's designs, which is a good sign.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAC-TDA1543-NOS-8-0-DIR9001-tube-6DJ8-6922-/320568187924?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa35a5c14#ht_2363wt_1133

walkern

« Reply #54 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:47 pm »
I'm pretty sure the TDA 1543 DAC chip can only handle 16 bit word length (even when you parallel 8 of them), so 24 bit data will just give you noise at the output.  I could be mistaken about this though, so please don't take this as gospel.