Marantz sa8003 vs Oppo Bdp-83/Se (& Cambridge Azur 840C)

Images

My focus at this point is primarily on SACD playback.  I listen mostly to orchestral music which I think steers me in this direction, e.g. see releases on the Bis or Ondine labels.  That, plus I am cheap and lazy.... though at least I am looking at the latest Olive Music server.  I have done a bare minimum of downloading.  I guess shiny silver discs are still part of my comfort level and computer audio will likely be a later development. 

So, I have had my eye on this Marantz SA8003 for several months.  Now the rage seems to be the latest offering from Oppo.  I have to wonder, what is the quality of the SACD playback from the Oppo Bdp-83se?  (I am not really considering any Blu ray playback at this time.  I don't think that much content that would interest me is yet available on Blu ray.)  I believe the build quality of the Marantz product exceeds that from Oppo.  I have a Tube Research Labs modified Sony DVP NS900S that I do like, but the transport has failied on it twice, so now it sits collecting dust. I have little time for undependable hardware.

Then, to complicate matters, my head has been turned by the abundance of raves the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C has received, even though this piece does not provide SACD reproduction.  All three units are available at a similar price point around $800-900, which suits me.  This price point only applies for the Cambridge unit on the used market. 

I live in an isolated location so auditioning all three units is impractical.  I invite your opinions/advice.     

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Marantz sa8003 vs Oppo Bdp-83/Se (& Cambridge Azur 840C)
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2010, 01:45 am »
Both the Marantz (Crutchfield or Amnaon) and Oppo (Oppo or Amazon) players have 30 day returns.  That's the only way you'll really know.  BTW, the oppo does DVD-Audio, too, unlike the Marantz.  I have the Oppo SE.  Stock, it is a world beater, and later have Dan Wright mod it for you to really experience SOTA.

Images

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2010, 02:13 am »
Coincidentally, Ted_b, the Modwright option is very much in mind.  I use a Modwright SWL 9.0SE preamp.  In fact, I am expecting it back in the system next week after some upgrades from Dan.  It sounds like you are convinced that the Oppo option with Dan's modification would beat the pants off the Marantz both in terms of versatility & SQ.  Have I got that right? 

I guess that also implied is the Cambridge maybe competitive previous to the Modwright mod to the Oppo , but not afterwords.  Am I putting words in your mouth?  Seems to me I may be because you didn't address the Cambridge.  Could it be you are not sufficiently familiar with the piece to comment?

Also, I still am wondering, as a stock unit, how would you rate the SACD playback of the Oppo Bdp-83se?  I don't recall any comments on this in the reviews I have read.... but that could be attributed to creeping Oldtimers.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2010, 03:16 am »
I have loads of review posts over on AVS (in the Oppo 83 /SE analog only thread)talking specifically about the DSD vs PCM SACD analog output fo these players (83 and SE), and synopsized over here too.  The SACD (DSD) output of the stock SE is killer good.  It betters most players (modded or otherwise) that I've heard in my system, coming within inches of my tube recitfied modded Modwright Denon 3910 Signature edition.  (Dan's SE mod should easily leapfrog that.)

I know nothing of the Cambridge player, correct, and that's why I did not comment about it.

Images

Yup, I was looking at all 110 pages of the 83se post over at AVS forum as you posted.  It'll take the whole weekend to read all that.  I think I'm convinced that the Oppo 83se is the way to go... especially when you consider that I actually prefer 2 channel SACD playback.  I watch movies is multi channel, but still to this day, at least with my system, I prefer to hear music as a stereo rendering.