Tom Petty etc. on Blu-ray sound quality

Don_S

Tom Petty etc. on Blu-ray sound quality
« on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:57 pm »
I debated on whether to post this here or on the music forum and decided this was more appropriate.  Feel free to move this thread if I chose poorly.

I recently heard the latest box-set release from Tom Petty and thought the Blu-ray purely sucked in stereo. No depth and it sounded artificial--not like real instruments.  By comparison the CDs that were in the box-set sounded much better but still only mediocre quality compared to other CDs I own. 

I did not hear them on my system so I don't know the details except to note that the system is all top quality components with a Meridian AV processor used after the Blu-ray player. Blu-ray video and Blu-ray multi-channel audio (from movies) and Redbook playback on the same system is stunning.

I don't mean to trash all Blu-ray recordings as this is the only one I have heard.  I am wondering if this disc is a particularly poor execution of Blu-ray or whether the playback equipment was somehow not configured properly. 

What I really want to know:  is Blu-ray a contender for a hi-rez standard for hold-in-your-hand 2 channel?

Old-timer here stepping to hi-rez but wanting to keep one foot in the past.    :green:  Actually, I find the download and burn a disc option not acceptable for several reasons one of which is while bits may be bits, I don't trust all disc burners. My system does not operate from my computer and I have no desire to go that way at this time. My music server only handles Redbook and unless there is a serious amount of hi-rez material available to me in a convenient format there is no motivation to change. Also some of my CDs have been in my collection for a long time and they are out of print but I still have access to them without having to worry about backing up computer files and storing for the decades.

OK, I drifted a little--old-timers do that.  Bottom line---Blu-ray and two channel--savior or poser.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Tom Petty etc. on Blu-ray sound quality
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2009, 07:54 pm »
Thanks for that post.  I don't know if you saw it but I posted a want-to-buy for that BD disc (sfrom someone who bough the boxed set and doesn't want it or can't use it), if for nothing more than it has 5 hrs of 24/96 music on it (not sure, maybe 24/192, I could be wrong).  First BD disc to take advantage of the storage capacity for purely 2 channel.  So I'm very disappointed to ehar that it's not very good to your ears.  I wonder what went wrong?  Since you say other BluRay music and soundtracks (i.e 71. multichannel) is stunning, it's likely not the setup, although something could be set incorrectly, or redigitized d/a a/d d/a.  How was it hooked up, analog 2 channel?  What was the player?  was the good-sounding redbook via analog outs or coax or HDMI.

Net/net, I personally believe the hirez bluRay medium could easily be the best and most accessible hirez format yet.  But we need more Neil Young's and Tom Petty's to get behind it, not just the small classical boutique labels.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2009, 08:05 pm »
Ted,

I do not know the set up details except to say the system is normally to-die-for in a separate, dedicated building behind the main home. Not your everyday system for sure.  I will try to find out some details.  I am sure the DVD-player is top of the line as is the Meridian processor. The owner always inputs digital into the Meridian whenever the source permits.

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2009, 06:05 pm »
The issue is not at what bit and sample rate it was encoded on the BD disc, but at what bit and sample rate was it recorded, and perhaps more importantly, how well it was recorded and mastered.  This is a compilation of cuts from a lot of live performances from the past, many of which were not well recorded.  If the CD didn't sound great it is not surprising the BD version didn't sound great either. Just because it's on BD doesn't mean it is going to sound good.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2009, 06:48 pm »
The issue is not at what bit and sample rate it was encoded on the BD disc, but at what bit and sample rate was it recorded, and perhaps more importantly, how well it was recorded and mastered.  This is a compilation of cuts from a lot of live performances from the past, many of which were not well recorded.  If the CD didn't sound great it is not surprising the BD version didn't sound great either. Just because it's on BD doesn't mean it is going to sound good.

Except that the Petty camp has claimed they went through extensive work to provide SOTA sound.

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:21 am »
What would you expect them to say?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:43 am »
It's what I would have expected them to deliver after what they said.  It's a major BD release (first to feature 5 hrs of 2 channel and 5.1 on one disc) and it sounds like they laid an egg.  Too bad.  BD audio discs need "killer apps".  This sounds like it isn't one.

guest54370

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:01 am »
I had the same experience with the David Gilmour blue ray. I hooked up my Oppo BD83 to my main rig - EAR899 and Wilson Sophia and was surprised how bad it sounded. I thought maybe it was the Oppo compared to my APL3910 CDP. But when I placed a regular CD in the Oppo it sounded quite good - not as good as the APL but very acceptable. The blue ray was terrible. There was no monitor hooked up so I don't know if there are settings that can make blue ray audio sound better?? But so far disappointed with my brief experience with blue ray audio.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2009, 01:28 pm »
I had the same experience with the David Gilmour blue ray. I hooked up my Oppo BD83 to my main rig - EAR899 and Wilson Sophia and was surprised how bad it sounded. I thought maybe it was the Oppo compared to my APL3910 CDP. But when I placed a regular CD in the Oppo it sounded quite good - not as good as the APL but very acceptable. The blue ray was terrible. There was no monitor hooked up so I don't know if there are settings that can make blue ray audio sound better?? But so far disappointed with my brief experience with blue ray audio.

Which one?

The ones I have listened to had very good to excellent sound.

George

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:47 pm »
I have the David Gilmour and have to disagree, it's rather nice.  To be truthful, I've yet to hear a "bad" BD compilation.

Now there are some with too much fluff video wise, but for the most part the audio is great....

Also, there are disks that immediately go to DD, et all and you need to change to 2-channel/5.1 PCM or whichever HD audio  format is available/you choose.

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2009, 02:42 am »

Which one?

The ones I have listened to had very good to excellent sound.

George

I have David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall [Blu-ray] and think that the sonics. 

The others I have are dvd's, not Blu-ray.

George