A customer in Wyandotte, MI could use some help.

Danny Richie

A customer in Wyandotte, MI could use some help.
« on: 9 Aug 2018, 09:50 pm »
This customer owns some Super-V's. I'm trying to help him solve some issues he is having with the bottom end output. It could be that he is playing them at really high levels that are high enough to run out of SPL capabilities.

So I am looking for someone in his area that has the capability to take some in room measurements to see what the level of his subs are compared to the upper coaxial's.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks,

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: A customer in Wyandotte, MI could use some help.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2018, 05:24 pm »
I can't help with what you are asking for but you have be curious.

What type of problem is he having? I had some issues with the subs on my Super Vs also.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2018, 08:39 pm »
I can't help with what you are asking for but you have be curious.

What type of problem is he having? I had some issues with the subs on my Super Vs also.

His issue is not having the bass levels that he is looking for.

This is a pretty unusual situation with Super-7's as they have the ability to really hit some high SPL levels even down to the rock bottom. Most people can't stand to play them loud enough to work the woofers too hard. Keep in mind these have four 12" servo subs.

However, he feels like the bottom end is maxed out and won't keep up with the levels he is playing the upper co-axial driver. It is possible that he is playing them really loud. That P-Audio co-axial will handle a ton of power and play at insane levels. So the servo subs could run out of steam first, but that would be really loud.

We have removed the shelving circuit so the woofers won't have to play as low. They now have a lot less excursion demand. But he is still driving them hard enough to run the amps into thermal overload on occasion. 

So we need to determine if there is an issue or if his preference might be a bottom end that is 10db or more above the rest.  A room response will tell us what he has and then help us get him what he is looking for or solve his problem.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2018, 09:02 pm »
Have him download this to his phone (from the App store):

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools-modules-2/acoustic-analysis-modules/rta/

Then run pink noise through his system while the RTA is on.  Have him take a screen shot of the reading.  That should tell you if the subs are way off or not.  And it'll show the SPL he's listening at.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2018, 09:18 pm »
Have him download this to his phone (from the App store):

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools-modules-2/acoustic-analysis-modules/rta/

Then run pink noise through his system while the RTA is on.  Have him take a screen shot of the reading.  That should tell you if the subs are way off or not.  And it'll show the SPL he's listening at.

Thanks buddy!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2018, 10:05 pm »
Out of curiosity......can he take a picture of the settings on the plate amps for somebody to look at?

Seems like there must be something obvious that is wrong. Plate amps not even connected? Not turned on? Gain at minimum?

sandbagger

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2018, 10:36 pm »
Danny

If no one else can help out I am only a 30min drive from him.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2018, 10:39 pm »
Out of curiosity......can he take a picture of the settings on the plate amps for somebody to look at?

Seems like there must be something obvious that is wrong. Plate amps not even connected? Not turned on? Gain at minimum?

It is really hard to tell much by the amp settings. To balance to the output of the upper drivers could mean a volume on the plate amp control set at 9 o'clock on the dial or 3 o'clock on the dial. It just depends on the input sensitivity of the amp driving the upper.

It sounds like everything is connected and working, but he is driving them so hard that the amps get hot.

And you know we've used those same servo amps at shows where we played the dog out of them all day long and they still never get too hot or even warm to touch.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2018, 10:41 pm »
Danny

If no one else can help out I am only a 30min drive from him.

Hey, it would really be appreciated if you can help. Even giving them a listen and giving me some additional feedback would be great. If you have any way of measuring them that would be even better. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2018, 10:52 pm »
A long shot  but,  does he have the polarity  correct on the   subs ?  Could see that  killing the output.....

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2018, 11:03 pm »
A long shot  but,  does he have the polarity  correct on the   subs ?  Could see that  killing the output.....

jay

Yeah, we've double checked all of that.

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2018, 11:10 pm »
Yeah, we've double checked all of that.

figured you would have but  you  never  know.   Hope you  guys  get it   straightened out

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2018, 04:20 am »
Okay, well the reason I asked is I was having a problem with my servo subs on my super vs bottoming out when I played them loud. I couldn't figure out what was going on since I had them for at least a year and didn't notice the problem before.

Turns out both my amps were going bad and the servo motors weren't controlling the drivers the way they were supposed to. I sent them in and Brian fixed them. They have been fine ever since.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:07 pm »
I'm not sure what's going on here. I need a little help.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2018, 05:41 pm »
My customer tried to get some SPL readings from his phone, but the mic on his phone doesn't read well below 200Hz.

So I need to find him someone that can help.

sandbagger can you drop by and pay this guy a visit? If so do you have a way of measuring his room response?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2018, 09:33 pm »
I can send a Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic of he can download Room EQ Wizard on a PC with a USB port.  Works well here.  Just need a stand for the mic.

A Radio Shack SPL meter will work for that frequency range if nothing else.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2018, 09:41 pm »
I can send a Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic of he can download Room EQ Wizard on a PC with a USB port.  Works well here.  Just need a stand for the mic.

A Radio Shack SPL meter will work for that frequency range if nothing else.

I have both the above plus a Parts Express IMM-6 mic (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-imm-6-calibrated-measurement-microphone-for-tablets-iphone-ipad-and-android--390-810) which is about $16 and made for a smart phone.  One can either get a free App or buy the Audio Tools App.  Works well (I also have an Audio Control one third octave RTA).

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 4 Sep 2018, 11:28 pm »
Danny,

You asked earlier if we think he is just playing them so loud that they are pooping out. I have to say I have done this to mine many times in the past, yes they are playing loud. Like I have mentioned before I have a decent size room 20'x30'x10'. When I first bottomed them out I was really surprised because I was always told they can't do that. Mine don't do that often and it is always when playing lower bass notes, but it does happen.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread I did have problems with both my servo amps and had to get them repaired because they stopped controlling the the woofers the way they were supposed to, but that was a different situation.

My guess is he has a largish room and likes to play his music loud.

Greg

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2018, 01:32 am »
Greg,  do you  happen to be using the 8 ohm woofers in your  v's   or did you  get the  16's   ?

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2018, 03:29 pm »
If you are using the dual 8 ohm woofers than the A370PEQ amp does have enough power into that load to push the woofers to past X-Max. It won't do that or won't do that near as easily with the 16 ohm woofers as the higher impedance limits the power.