"conditioner comparison"

Steve

"conditioner comparison"
« on: 13 Apr 2005, 11:27 pm »
Just got done comparing the "Tributary power manager" to, I believe it
was called "electricstrip". I couldn't make any definitive comparisons, but did come up with an interesting situation.

What was interesting was that in order to maximize the sonic potential
of each, the polarity switch needed reversing when changing from one to the other.

I don't know how others "conditioners" fair, but one may or may not be
able to accurately compare any two "conditioners" without utilizing a
polarity switch. It would appear to be a trial by error situation.

I thought the experiment was interesting.

MGDeWulf

"conditioner comparison"
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2005, 12:50 am »
You are correct.  Due to sloppy construction or simply not knowing how important proper power line ground potential is, some manufacturers of line conditioners get it reversed.

Reason enough for an AC polarity switch such as the one you use on all componentry.

Marty
PS.  Oddly enough, using a line conditioner that does flip polarity can result in better sound for many - if the components they were using needed to be reversed but they didn't know it.   ':idea:'

Occam

"conditioner comparison"
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:31 am »
Soooo.... does one seek to minimize the deviation about the mean or about 0 volts? Under what circustances would the former be optimal?  I'd assume the magnitude of that mean would also be significant.

ctviggen

"conditioner comparison"
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2005, 12:34 pm »
I thought the AC polarity switch was there because the outlet might not be wired correctly (i.e., neutral connected to hot and vice versa).  Or does the AC polarity switch do something other than switch neutral to hot and vice versa?

MGDeWulf

"conditioner comparison"
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2005, 12:46 pm »
Soooo.... does one seek to minimize the deviation about the mean or about 0 volts? Under what circustances would the former be optimal?  I'd assume the magnitude of that mean would also be significant.

Hello Occam:

I've tried both, even wrote a little on it.  Sonically, my preference has been with the lowest voltage, plus it's a lot easier to calculate with a lot of equipment going in and out.  Low voltages are pretty consistant, 25 -50 volts.  But highs are all over the place, and that could make the mean a pretty high one in some instances.

Marty