Help with Salk

gazingupward

Help with Salk
« on: 11 Feb 2023, 06:50 am »
Hi. I'm new to AudioCircle and relatively new to Salk. Any suggestions on how to learn more about what Salk has to offer, how to know the differences in the different series, and ideally how to hear them?
I currently own Dynaudio Emits M20 & M10 & Dali Opticon 2 Mk2. I'm checking out Heco Celans & Arendals. Just mentioning this as a point of reference.
Thanks

Charles Xavier

Re: Help with Salk
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2023, 11:25 am »
Plenty of info and reviews on the forum. And here is a list of owners for auditions. See if anyone is in your area.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88740.0

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2023, 01:08 pm »
Welcome!

Suggest looking into active monitors.  Owned Dynaudio BM5 Mk3, about the same drivers/cabinet size as the Emit 20 but with the advantages of being active (low voltage crossover, separate amps per each driver, greater dynamics/bass).  Of course many other actives are available, from JBL 305 Mk2 ($300/pair) on up, many include room correction DSP, DAC's, and more.  Even Salk offers one.

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2023, 01:36 pm »
Welcome to AC.
 I’m not sure how best to help.  Salk Sound website obviously details every speaker and driver with some history behind their development.  The resources page includes a link to the AVS Forum thread but I’m not come across information that describes each series of speakers or compares them.
Like other highly crafted products, Salk speakers are a reflection of the people behind the product and their values.  Immersing yourself in the community and asking questions is a great way to come to know the product and people but it’s not a quick shopping list kind of process.
In my experience a Salk difference, besides the craftsmanship, is the crossover design and driver integration.  For me it’s not so much what I’m hearing but where I’m hearing it in the sound stage.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2023, 02:15 pm »
Welcome!

artur9

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2023, 03:03 pm »
Hi. I'm new to AudioCircle and relatively new to Salk.

AFAICT, the Salk Sound community is very friendly and so is Jim(?) Salk.  I would dive right into their boards/forums and ask away.

RonN5

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2023, 03:51 pm »
You can go through Jim's posts and see what he has to say about how is various speakers sound....or you can just call him or email him and tell him what type of size and sound you are looking for and ask him which of his products will fit the bill.

I've corresponded with him several times...owned one of his speakers...heard two others...and can't say anything but superlatives about  him and his products.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1997

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2023, 08:01 pm »
As was mentioned, contact Salk.  Jim Salk is very no nonsense, honest, and easy to talk to.  He truly cares about his customers and it shows in the outstanding service he provides.  He will not try to upsell you just to make more money.

He may also be able to help arrange an audition with a customer local to you.

:thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2023, 08:25 pm »
As was mentioned, contact Salk.  Jim Salk is very no nonsense, honest, and easy to talk to.  He truly cares about his customers and it shows in the outstanding service he provides.  He will not try to upsell you just to make more money.

He may also be able to help arrange an audition with a customer local to you.

:thumb:

This is 100% accurate and true.  If you have any interest in Salk speakers, you must talk to Jim.

OgOgilby

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2023, 10:21 pm »
This is 100% accurate and true.  If you have any interest in Salk speakers, you must talk to Jim.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Give Jim a call.

-Greg

Stercom

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2023, 11:22 am »
I've owned a number of Salk speakers over the years. Here is some general info about Salk speakers:

1. Jim is always looking for the latest driver technology. His current top of the line speakers are based on PuriFI drivers that are ultra-low distortion. His best speaker is the Bepure3 and its gotten rave reviews but it costs $20k or more. The Bepure2, however, starts at $6,800. Take a look at the various speaker lines on his webpage there is one for every price point. The Heco speakers you mention are in the $2k range so maybe ask Jim about the Song Surround II or Song Surround Plus.

2. Salk speakers have extremely nice finishes. If you are looking for a particular type of wood or finish Jim will do his best to accommodate you.

3. Most of the crossovers are designed by Dennis Murphy who is very well known and respected in the industry. Dennis previously sold speakers directly that were called Philharmonic Audio. Now, Salk sells speakers for him. They are very high value speakers. Here is a link to those: https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR+Monitors

4. Sound wise all Salk speakers are going to be designed to get the most out of the drivers chosen for that model. They will sound neutral and operate within the ranges the driver was designed for. Don't expect any hyped up treble and bloated bass designed just to get your attention. 

Those are my quick thoughts. Hope it helps!

DFpritchard

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2023, 04:02 pm »
It will help to provide Jim some guidance on budget.  In my experience, his speakers represent great value.  I currently own the BePure2s, which I would compare very favorably with speakers I have owned costing 2-3 X their price.  Also owned the Song3s, a $3K (at that time) speaker that compares favorably with $6K speakers from other manufacturers.  Much of this value-added may be attributed to Salk's customer-direct business model. 

There is one other aspect that I find attractive for Salk speakers, that is, the ability to participate in their creation.   What I mean by this is the ability to choose a specific wood veneer.  Take a look at the post, "Jim sent this picture..".  Jim and his team create works of art that perform beautifully as musical instruments (transducers?).  Neither aspect of his products- musicality nor appearance, happens by accident.  Jim is a craftsman.

Finally, as suggested previously, talk to/email him. Tell him what you listen to, what your room is like, etc.  He is open, honest and far better informed that most.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2023, 01:47 am »
I've owned a number of Salk speakers over the years. Here is some general info about Salk speakers:

1. Jim is always looking for the latest driver technology. His current top of the line speakers are based on PuriFI drivers that are ultra-low distortion. His best speaker is the Bepure3 and its gotten rave reviews but it costs $20k or more. The Bepure2, however, starts at $6,800. Take a look at the various speaker lines on his webpage there is one for every price point. The Heco speakers you mention are in the $2k range so maybe ask Jim about the Song Surround II or Song Surround Plus.

2. Salk speakers have extremely nice finishes. If you are looking for a particular type of wood or finish Jim will do his best to accommodate you.

3. Most of the crossovers are designed by Dennis Murphy who is very well known and respected in the industry. Dennis previously sold speakers directly that were called Philharmonic Audio. Now, Salk sells speakers for him. They are very high value speakers. Here is a link to those: https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR+Monitors

4. Sound wise all Salk speakers are going to be designed to get the most out of the drivers chosen for that model. They will sound neutral and operate within the ranges the driver was designed for. Don't expect any hyped up treble and bloated bass designed just to get your attention. 

Those are my quick thoughts. Hope it helps!
Although I certainly can endorse all of the nice things you've said about Jim Salk, I would point out that that philharmonicaudio.com is still very much alive, and Jim actually no longer offers my speakers. 

Stercom

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2023, 02:05 am »
Damn. I didn’t realize that Dennis. I stand corrected.