NX-Otica Review - What would you want to know/hear/see?

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
After chatting with Danny about starting up my channel again (New Record Day), I wanted to get ideas from the GR fans of what they want to see in a review featuring the NX-Otticas? My style and ideas of how I want to handle listening impressions will be different from anything I have done before. I am only going to be scripting things I cant remember on camera such as specifications and facts about the product. In regards to my objective opinion, I plan on shooting that live without a script and doing it as it happens. Meaning, listen to some reference songs, turn on the camera and go...

Being transparent and honest, I made some mistakes in how I handled some of my older reviews and over the last year, I have contemplated how to get it right this time around. The GR crew are some of the most knowledgable guys out there and getting your feedback would mean a lot.

Here are some ideas to get the brain juices flowing!

1. Measurements: I own the CLIO pocket and have enough of an understanding to shoot some gated measurements and waterfalls. I could even dive into horizontal and vertical off axis response as well. Would you care to see this kind of information, is it important?

2. Audio Samples: For whatever reason, I get lots of comments about "hearing" the speakers through a recording. I admit, I hate this idea but with a background in studio recording, I could probably do it well enough that it wouldnt be a complete shit show. What do you think?

Those are just some ideas to bounce of the team, let me know what you think.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2018, 02:32 pm by Vedder323 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Ottica Review - What would you want to know/hear/see?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2018, 05:27 pm »
You could do what Jason and I did back when we were doing RMAF show coverage - rip a disc with 4 or 5 songs, about 60 seconds of each track, so that within 5 or 6 minutes you have a very good idea of how a speaker performs on a very wide variety of material. 

And if you use the same disc for all reviews, you have a solid baseline and level playing field for any new piece of gear. 

Hell, if you get it down to 5 or 6 minutes, you could even record your comments live, while your evaluation is in progress.  Things like "Holy Crap, the bass on this China Moon track is insane!", or "Oh wow, Tom Waits sound even more world-weary than usual".  Since it's only 60 second snippets, you move along very quickly, and it'd be fun to hear your listening impressions in real time.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2018, 05:29 pm »
You could do what Jason and I did back when we were doing RMAF show coverage - rip a disc with 4 or 5 songs, about 60 seconds of each track, so that within 5 or 6 minutes you have a very good idea of how a speaker performs on a very wide variety of material. 

And if you use the same disc for all reviews, you have a solid baseline and level playing field for any new piece of gear. 

Hell, if you get it down to 5 or 6 minutes, you could even record your comments live, while your evaluation is in progress.  Things like "Holy Crap, the bass on this China Moon track is insane!", or "Oh wow, Tom Waits sound even more world-weary than usual".  Since it's only 60 second snippets, you move along very quickly, and it'd be fun to hear your listening impressions in real time.

Tyson,

Love the feedback but ill need to avoid playing music in the review to minimize copyright issues and flags. The youtube police are ruthless. However, I could do a supplemental video with the audio recordings and not monetize it which would possibly work.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2018, 09:47 pm »
Tyson,

Love the feedback but ill need to avoid playing music in the review to minimize copyright issues and flags. The youtube police are ruthless. However, I could do a supplemental video with the audio recordings and not monetize it which would possibly work.

I think you'll be ok if you can keep the music short enough.  And credit it.

I was wondering what happened to you and your channel.  I was looking forward to hearing your impressions of the OB subs and then nothing.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:46 am »
Good to hear  you're planning  a comeback  :)
I like the inclusion of  some measurements, including off-axis  performance,  just  don't  spend too much time on them as you  may  lose  some viewers. but   It's  nice to  know if  a speaker is going to  require  you  to have your  head in a vice  while  listening ....   maybe even a short  video explaining to  folks  why  you  include  some of these measurements  would  be  handy ?

I also like  Tyson's  suggestion of  "real-time"  impressions but  understand the  copyright issues.... PITA.
I know  we kind of have  a vested interest in this one but I'll mention it anyway.... if you're doing  a review of  a  kit speaker it may be worth mentioning    what's involved  with  assembling, difficulty level  etc etc.  I think  some shy away from  Diy projects due to  lack of  confidence/experience.

Just   a couple  ideas
Looking forward to   some  more  reviews  Ron

jay
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2018, 03:41 pm by Captainhemo »

mojave

Vedder323

• New Record Day

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: NX-Otica Review - What would you want to know/hear/see?
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2018, 06:58 pm »
Ron,

For the review, since you have the full floor standing Otica, I'd like to see impressions of the Otica by itself and the Otica with the servo subs. If you only do one version, do it with the subs since these speakers are intended to be a full range 4 cabinet design ( 2 cabinets Oticas & 2 cabinets servo subs) like the Infinity IRS speakers.

In addition to your views on the performance of a speaker, I also like your input on what it takes to set up and dial them in, strengths and caveats, as well as general impressions of other people.

If you do sound demos it's important to remind viewers that what they hear is not going to be the same as what you are hearing, especially if their systems are not as resolving and/or as capable of reproducing the low bass as the Oticas and servo subs. What someone hears is more a function of your recording, YouTube's transmission, and the viewer's system than what the Oticas/subs sound like. Bottom line would be they sound better in person than what they sound like over TouTube.

To piggy back on something Jay said, let people know that just because the speakers are DIY doesn't mean they are out of reach for anybody. A person can do as much or as little of the build themselves as they want to. Their options range from doing everything themselves all the way up to having someone else do everything for them and ending up with a fully built and finished turnkey set of speakers.  In other words, they can do as much or as little as they feel comfortable with.

As soon as they hear the speakers are DIY, a lot of people are going to think "I don't have the ability to build something like this so they are not for me" and tune out the rest of the review. While the more someone does themselves the larger the bargain will be, even if they have someone else do all the work they will still end up with a lot more speaker for the money. Also, there is a lot of help available through the forum so it is not like they buy the kit and are on your own.

Mike

Rivalaudio

Re: NX-Otica Review - What would you want to know/hear/see?
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2018, 07:08 pm »
Really good advice!