Can stuffing settling overtime enough to change the sound?

SET Man

Hey!

OK, Guys I've been pondering about this issue for sometime now.  :scratch:

It is possible for speaker stuffing settling overtime enough to change the overall sound of the speaker?

I'm sure that many of you here know that I built my own speakers. I use  Acousta-stuf for both of my speakers. And this stuffing is a very fine puffy fiber stuffing and light.

I do feel that this is possible overtime. And if you drive them hard enough I think this could cause the stuffing to settling.

So, any of you here have any thought about this? Especially those who build their own speaker. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Ed Schilling

Set,
They (the makers) claim it doesn't, I believe. My experience is that it seems to actually expand. We are talking about only the "real" Acouta-Stuff.

I doubt if settling is an issue (with that product), BUT stuffing a cabinet and having the drivers themselves change over time might lead one to believe it is the stuffing settling when in fact the drivers' suspension is finally loosening up resulting in a change of parameters different than the design called for.

But hey, I could be wrong.
Ed
Added....I am mainly talking about DIY with new drivers in cabinets "stuffed by ear" using an "educated guess"!

SET Man

Hey!

Yes, I do use the real Acousta-stuf. Expanding? Now that's interesting. :o

As for tuning with new driver. You definitely right about that. I remembered that I actually had to re-stuffing my speaker about 3 months after I finished them. But I was some what did expected that.

So, I guess in a long run this stuffing should be stable than. :D

Thanks for the input Ed. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Lsharptec1

Re: Can stuffing settling overtime enough to change the sound?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2008, 09:01 pm »
SET & Ed,

I have 2 pair of transmission lines that I built over 10 years ago, using Acousta-Stuf for the damping fiber.

As of today, 8/22/08, I have no settling problems with it.   :thumb:

IMHO, there is NO better damping fiber on the market for speaker systems.

Larry

John Kalinowski

• kcs
If you use wool or acousta stuf and fill proper from the start settling will not be a issue. Ive opened loudspeakers as old as 50 years and fill hasent settled. Also some of my loudspeakers have come in for upgrades never found any fill in them to settle.