Floor Treatment?

Early B.

Floor Treatment?
« on: 19 Oct 2020, 03:53 am »
I listened to Steve Guttenberg's YouTube video tonight where he discussed room treatments. One of his recommendations was to consider treating the floor right in front of the speakers with absorption panels if you have hardwood floors. Has anyone tried that? If so, what was the outcome?

I'm asking because I have hardwood floors with a throw rug in the middle of the floor, but the rug isn't in directly in front of the speakers. I don't think the rug is making much difference because I've listened without the rug and it sounds the same to me. I'm wondering if 2'x2'x2" panels lying on the floor in front of each speaker would be beneficial.

Big Red Machine

Re: Floor Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2020, 11:59 am »
I tried some 2x4 panels on the floor years ago trying to (lamely) tame the ceiling height resonance problem. Tripping over the panels was goofy and it didn't solve the problem.

You could put a mirror on the floor and find the bounce spot for whatever drive is offending your balance.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2020, 12:52 pm »
I tried some 2x4 panels on the floor years ago trying to (lamely) tame the ceiling height resonance problem. Tripping over the panels was goofy and it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for your feedback. I had never heard of anyone doing that before, so I thought I'd ask before attempting to experiment with it. Seems like a non-starter.

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2020, 02:14 pm »

No GIK content (sorry; there are several visible GIK panels in the picture).  Although I don't have much of a floor bounce problem (my woofer centers are about 30" off the floor), I have found that a nice rug with a good pad under it seems to "smooth out" the sound and give better detail.  The pad is obviously important, and I have found this to be a useful place to shop for one

https://www.rugpadusa.com/
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2020, 03:20 pm by rbbert »

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2020, 02:15 pm »
Steve called me last week and we spoke about quite a few things.... I havent' watched his video yet.

Yes I have had clients treat floor reflection points with panels laid down on the floor. That's simply not practical in the vast majority of instances but if you have an open room, dedicated to audio, and space on the floor to lay down panels it can work.

Most people just use throw rugs which can help a bit with highs. In my experience, reflective floors aren't super offensive as long as the side & ceiling reflection points are well treated.

jtcf

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2020, 03:08 pm »
A couple of small ottomans that you could position in front of the speakers when listening might be an option.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2020, 03:16 pm »
Steve called me last week and we spoke about quite a few things.... I havent' watched his video yet.

Yes I have had clients treat floor reflection points with panels laid down on the floor. That's simply not practical in the vast majority of instances but if you have an open room, dedicated to audio, and space on the floor to lay down panels it can work.

Most people just use throw rugs which can help a bit with highs. In my experience, reflective floors aren't super offensive as long as the side & ceiling reflection points are well treated.

OK, cool. This feedback is helpful. Thanks.