Song 3 and Krell amp

MiamiAngler

Song 3 and Krell amp
« on: 5 Feb 2019, 07:03 pm »
Based on the feedback on this forums and reviews I have just ordered a pair of Song3’s in curly maple with grey dye.    I will be pairing these speakers with a Vincent hybrid preamp and a Krell KAV 150A amp.   Does anyone have experience with Salk speakers and Krell amps?   On Audiogon when I asked for speaker suggestions I got a lot of questions about what amp I would be pairing with.   I also have and older Acuris R11 SS preamp I could use.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Miami Angler

DFpritchard

Re: Song 3 and Krell amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2019, 07:02 pm »
Got my Song3s in August.  Paired with Parasound Halo integrated, by many measures comparable to the Krell KVA-150.  What I do not like about this combination may occur with the Krell + Song3 combination you are considering.  I find the combination of Halo and Song3 a bit too bright and 'transistor-y'.  The Song3s are terrific in so many ways: imaging, soundstage, vocals, and other characteristics.  I do not think the Song3s themselves are too analytic but the combination with the Halo leaves me wanting to upgrade.   The Song3s are really efficient, easily driven.  In my listening room (roughly 16x20) the Song3s play at high volume but the Halo is never working that hard.  Decent output, mid-current design.  I think the Song3s would really sing with a tube amp.  Looking at the Prima Luna Dialog all-tube integrated ($3400 on manufacturers website; The Music Room had one used/a few months old last week for $2800).  Obviously, there are lots of choices for good amps, maybe too many, but this is the direction I am heading with my Song3s.  Source is CDs and SACDs with Emotiva ERC-3 as transport and the onboard DAC in the Halo.  Yes, the DAC is a candidate for upgrading, too.

Paul K.

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2019, 11:25 pm »
I don't have Salk speakers as I design and build my own.  I have a Wyred4Sound power amp and preamp and have noticed the same thing as you; a bit too bright.  And, guess what?  My source is CDs and hybrid-SACDs via an Emotiva ERC-3 but directly to the preamp, not via an external DAC.  The ERC-3 was my last purchase when I replaced all of my now-defunct electronics (Quad 909 power amp and Linn preamp and CD player).  While a tube amp might make an improvement, maybe it's the ERC-3?  I'm considering other CD players.
Paul

Got my Song3s in August.  Paired with Parasound Halo integrated, by many measures comparable to the Krell KVA-150.  What I do not like about this combination may occur with the Krell + Song3 combination you are considering.  I find the combination of Halo and Song3 a bit too bright and 'transistor-y'.  The Song3s are terrific in so many ways: imaging, soundstage, vocals, and other characteristics.  I do not think the Song3s themselves are too analytic but the combination with the Halo leaves me wanting to upgrade.   The Song3s are really efficient, easily driven.  In my listening room (roughly 16x20) the Song3s play at high volume but the Halo is never working that hard.  Decent output, mid-current design.  I think the Song3s would really sing with a tube amp.  Looking at the Prima Luna Dialog all-tube integrated ($3400 on manufacturers website; The Music Room had one used/a few months old last week for $2800).  Obviously, there are lots of choices for good amps, maybe too many, but this is the direction I am heading with my Song3s.  Source is CDs and SACDs with Emotiva ERC-3 as transport and the onboard DAC in the Halo.  Yes, the DAC is a candidate for upgrading, too.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2019, 01:48 am »
Song 3 BeAT might be abetter match with that set up.  Jim Salk has described it as slightly forgiving.

rmdtexas

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2019, 03:26 am »
I'm waiting on my Song3 BeATs to be finished. I will be pairing them with a KAV-300i.  They are at 34% (cabinets routed). I'll give you a review after break-in.
I went with the BeATs after discussing with Jim.

Grbluen

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2019, 08:54 pm »
I have the combo! Salk/Parasound. I was surprised to hear your comments. I would not characterize my system as "tubey", but it is certainly smooth!

SCompRacer

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2019, 06:01 pm »
I have an old recapped Krell KSA-250 powering my Salk SS8's. Sounds great.