Yet another Odyssey defector!

Mike_D

« on: 24 Mar 2003, 09:08 pm »
Check this review out by a long-time Odyssey owner:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1792.msg14156#14156

Seems like some people who have been in the Odyssey family have moved on to AVA equipment.  Comments?

tinear

« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2003, 10:15 pm »
Just a better sounding amp. There are plenty of amps that sound better than odyssey at lower and higher price points. This hobby is a disease!! Try them and see what sounds best in your room.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2003, 10:55 pm »
The 550ex is also more expensive than the DM Stratos.

IMO, the FetValve is probably not a good fit for all systems - the Odyssey is a warmer sounding amp, and would be better in a system that is a bit lean in character.  But for neutral or warm sounding speakers, the FetValve is going to be very hard to beat, especially if you need a lot of current and power deliver to the speakers (I would love to hear the 550ex with a Dunlavy SC VI).

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2003, 12:13 am »
my post to this same question or ? at harmonic discord

i own a set of extreme monos and am very pleased with them and klause.
some people like to upgrade there systems on a regular basis, its no different with my car buddies and i- we always buy and then sell to buy the same style part from another company trying to get that last 100th of a second.
its no different with the audiocircle post-and the ava is also more$.
i'm not so into this stuff that i try everthing that is out there looking for audio nirvana-(no flame intened to the poster from audiocircle)
i have other hobbies to spend my few $ on-i'm trying to restore a 62 dodge polara-you want to talk about upgrades-original motor was a 361 big block-not good enough so i'm putting together a 484 stroker with 70s nascar prototype heads that have to have a custom sheet metal intake 3500$-yup thats just the intake.these are the third different set of heads purchased for the motor, none have even made it to the machine shop before being resold and upgraded.
in a year or two the same guy might very well try a digital amp and sell his ava-and i might try a hemi-thats the trouble with man and his toys we always try to find better ones.

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2003, 02:36 am »
I have to second Tyson's comments in his review that the SL preamp and Extreme Monos have a synergy that is pretty special.  I have not heard any AVA products, but I can say that I enjoy the SL/Odyssey pairing immensely.  But really, in the end, isn't that what counts?   8)

Andy

Rocket

amp choices
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2003, 09:07 am »
hello,

i agree with a lot of the comments about upgrading products.  this hobby is a disease and a money pit, if your satisfied with an amp just stick with it.

most of the time when your system is high end the improvement you receive from your new purchase is minimal.  buying and selling hifi gear all the time costs big $$$, i never seem to obtain the prices i want when i sell my gear.

btw does anyone want to buy my n.e.w. dc-66 at a bargain price?

regards

rod