ncore400 balance and rca inputs ?

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
ncore400 balance and rca inputs ?
« on: 14 Mar 2014, 12:57 am »
Is it possible to do both balanced and rca ? I have a builder installing only balanced . He asked if I would want rca instead . Got me thinking I would like the choice of both . I have owned amps in the past that had both inputs . Can the ncore be set up like that ? If so a brief wiring explanation would help . I would assume the wires would come from the same place ? Just more of them ?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: ncore400 balance and rca inputs ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:00 am »
Is it possible to do both balanced and rca ? I have a builder installing only balanced . He asked if I would want rca instead . Got me thinking I would like the choice of both . I have owned amps in the past that had both inputs . Can the ncore be set up like that ? If so a brief wiring explanation would help . I would assume the wires would come from the same place ? Just more of them ?
Yes, no problem BUT it's not the correct way to do it.  Read the data sheet and see why you want XLR only.  Page 12 to be exact.

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf

fsimms

Re: ncore400 balance and rca inputs ?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2014, 03:57 am »
You can get an XLR to RCA adaptor or cable if you want to run a single ended output into the NC400.  As page 12 says you still get a lot of benefits of the NCore's balanced inputs with a RCA to XLR cable.  I use my Calypso tube preamp’s RCA output into my NC400 as the Calypso’s balanced output cancels out the even harmonics of the driver tubes.  The even harmonics are why I use a tube preamp in the first place.   If I used a solid state preamp then I would use its balanced outputs.

Bob