x-series subs

OBF

x-series subs
« on: 15 May 2007, 05:42 pm »
Hi Danny.  Just curious if you helped design the AV123 x-series sub, or just the main speakers?  I did a search but didn't find much info on the sub design.  I'm looking for a low cost option (since I need 2) to use with a TacT 2.2x.  You can't beat $200 for a completed sub with amp, but I wonder how good it could be.  Output shouldn't be an issue since I'd be using a pair of them in stereo config and am more concerned with quality bass for music and not HT effects.  It's nice it has a defeatable crossover since the TacT performs that duty as well as correcting for bass peaks.  I do wish it was sealed for this application though......

Mark

Danny Richie

Re: x-series subs
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2007, 09:42 pm »
I did not design the woofer, but did design the box for it. The port actually winds through the box three times to make it long enough to tune it to the needed 28Hz (optimal tuning for that woofer).

It will hit a -3db down point in that range and does sound very clean and musical.

It's only limitation is output level. Two of them will help quite a bit.

A sealed box won't really work out very well for that woofer as it would keep it from playing down low at all.

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2007, 11:52 pm »
Too bad you absolutely need two, but did you consider building two of Danny's SW-12a powered by one plate amp?  That would not be much more $ then two x-sub.  The reason I'm saying this is because I myself was an unbeliever in big subs until a few months ago!  I used to have a small sub like the x-sub in my NHT speaker setup, then I shopped and listened to all sorts of cheap to very expensive subs, then I built Danny's A/V-3 towers and told myself, ho well, no need for a sub.  Then I was bored so I decided to build something else and the SW-12a poped up on my plate.  Well, now I can tell you that this was the best bang for the buck upgrade I've made up to now.  That sub is fantastic.  I was really afraid that a 12" monster would bring too much bass and that it could be floppy!  I was WRONG.  This sub is very very nice, very musical and the fact that it goes so low never stops to surprise me when I'm listening to music with stuff I had never heard.  I listen mostly to music, movies is secondary and I don't listen at loud levels.

Bottom line, I hope you don't mind if I brought info you didn't ask for.  I'm just very happy with my decision so I thought I might share my excitement!  And by the way, I never heard the x-sub so maybe it's very good as well. 

This is my setup:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=729&pos=19
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 12:24 pm by Loftprojection »

OBF

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2007, 04:52 pm »
Danny, thanks for the info.  I just figued that if you took part in the "system" design then it can't be too shabby.  :D

Loft, no I don't mind the input at all, in fact I appreciate it.  Trust me, if I decide to go the DIY route at some point Danny's sub will be at the top of my list.  However, I don't think I can run stereo subs (which is the whole point in using the TacT's active crossover and individual correction filters for each woofer/main speaker) with a single plate amp.  They still look like a good deal either way.

Mark

Loftprojection

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2007, 09:41 pm »
However, I don't think I can run stereo subs (which is the whole point in using the TacT's active crossover and individual correction filters for each woofer/main speaker) with a single plate amp. 

I'm quite sure I read you could somewhere.  Maybe someone else will pitch in. When I built my single SW-12a someone else said I should build two and amp them out of one plate amp.  Maybe I dreamt it also!   :duh:

samplesj

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2007, 09:44 pm »
However, I don't think I can run stereo subs (which is the whole point in using the TacT's active crossover and individual correction filters for each woofer/main speaker) with a single plate amp. 

I'm quite sure I read you could somewhere.  Maybe someone else will pitch in. When I built my single SW-12a someone else said I should build two and amp them out of one plate amp.  Maybe I dreamt it also!   :duh:
He said stereo sub.  You can't run 2 different signals out of a 1 channel plate amp.  You can run 2 drivers from 1, but it will be the same signal to both.  I use 2 GR drivers and 1 plate amp for my HT system.

World Leader Pretend

• Rosenow Sound Authority
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2007, 03:22 am »
For roughly $500 I built one of the best subs I (or anyone else who hears it) have heard.  I just went Infinite Baffle and built a dual 18" line array.  The woofers came from Mach 5 Audio and I bought a used Crest power amp for $200.  I a big thick baffle and put it in a wall and BAM!... you have a beastly sub.  Someday I'll add some EQ and work on flattening it out a bit, but from my test tones it is flat to well under 20Hz. 

The best part is it is very musical, as in kick drums sound like kick drums and bass guitars like bass guitars.  No muddiness or one note stuff.  It can also get extremely loud, but I'm not really into SPL racing or that junk. 

The problem is that it needs a suitable wall and you need to be willing to do a permanent construction, which means no mobility after it is installed.  On the plus side, the thing just flat-out looks cool.   :thumb:

Good luck!