Ribbons R Ribbons, tin foil hats !

sunnydaze

Re: Ribbons broken on new speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2021, 09:00 pm »
The crimper that JStower mentions costs more than a few official replacement ribbons.   I would just get them to be sure.  Probably even get a couple xtra to account for screwups.    :lol:

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2021, 09:04 pm »
 :D flip-flop and fly,,,,,haha.  I'll  just buy 3 premade foils. Foiled again. You can buy a little set of plastic gears crimper ,, but the factory does it so well.   :D

Jstower

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2021, 09:12 pm »
I know the crimper is more the replacement ribbons  :o.  In my case I already owned the crimper, that is what gave me the idea to try to fabricate.

2bigears

« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2021, 09:24 pm »
 :D the foil strips are back-ordered till late Rocktober,,,, good lord I'm not having good luck here,,,, ha.   :D
      Found G2 replacement ribbons on ebay. Ordered 3 .. 40 bucks shipping,  haha..... hope these are the right ones as i could have bought a few pounds of foil at the store,,,,  :D
      Just looked at the other tweeter ,,,, it's blown too.. not sure what happened here. Can you overdrive these to break ??   :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2021, 11:17 pm »
When shipping speakers with ribbon tweeters, you really need to tape over the opening where the ribbon is - the ribbon is so delicate that it can get blown out by the suction generated by packing and unpacking the speaker in the shipping box.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2021, 11:23 pm »
Magnepan ships them with a big metal strip over them.
It doesn't sound all that great when you forget to take one of them out.
Not that I would know, of course...

2bigears

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2021, 12:23 am »
 :D yes yes and yes.  I bet that's what happened. They didn't sound good right off the bat. They were not covered. They are a suspended piece of tin foil with slight tension. Any air movement will break them.  You hit it outta the park.  Funny they don't mention that in an owners maual .... shit.  I hope the strips I bought are the right ones. ( G2 ribbons ) 55.00 for 3 and shipping was most of the cost. Good job people. That's what happened. Thank you everybody.  Never heard back from ProAc or distributor yet.   :D

2bigears

« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2021, 08:29 pm »
 :D the saga carries on and on. ProAc won't respond to my question if these tweeters are 6 ohm or 8.
          They won't email back at all.  The Canadian distributor wants 1500.00 for both new tweeters. You can see from the back of the tweeter they are Aurum Cantus tweets as they cut the name tag off them and just left the pos and neg top of the tag,, sneaky ProAc..  but what I don't know is if they 6 or 8 ohm. I suspect a big difference here  ?  I don't know but you would think they did the network with that in the design. I ordered 3 G2 ribbons. These have clamp-down blocks that use screws ,, so no wedges. Might not be real hard to do,, just go slow and steady.  Everybody will help you if your wallet is out,,,, but past that this world is all about the buck !  I should have bought the M3's like I was going to.   Dam.  :D