AAARRRGGGHH!! Kids for sale cheap!!!

Yar762

AAARRRGGGHH!! Kids for sale cheap!!!
« on: 30 Mar 2007, 01:18 am »
I have been enjoying the sound of my new RM40s for about 2 weeks now.  Love that sound.  Did I mention that I love the sound?

In any event, one of my lovely little girls (1 & 3, neither one is fessing up..) smoothed those nice little pleats right out of one of my FST tweeters with their tiny little finger when daddy was at work!  It still works, but it can't be too healthy.  Not sure what my options to repair or replace are...  :cry:

Based on the Technical discussion at the VMPS website, these are VMPS specified versions of the Aurum Cantus G2 or G2Si (??). When I looked at the Aurum website, I notice that the originals come with protective screens.  Has anyone used the screened versions before?  Could screens be added to mine?  Impact on sound quality? 

Maybe I'll be putting my kids up on EBay tonight.... (Not!  Don't send the DCFS!)

Ray

JoshK

Re: AAARRRGGGHH!! Kids for sale cheap!!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2007, 01:33 am »
i am probably speaking out of place, but the ribbons can be replaced quite readily, but not exactly simply.  you can order new ribbons from a number of sources that sell ribbon tweeters and try yourself.  it is little difficult not to stretch out the ribbon too much.  i did it once but i swore a lot.   :evil:  otherwise, brian is a very good sport and will usually replace the ribbon if you send it back to him.  of course, details to be worked out with him. 

topround

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2007, 01:40 am »
My boy Andrew picked the surrounds of  the woofers of my Epos ES 14's with his fingers when he was 3.
I had them replaced by Miller sound in PA, who did a great job. Then my son Scott did the same thing when he was three.
Speaker grills help sometimes!!
Woofers and tweeters and ribbons look very enticing to children.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2007, 02:30 am »
Send the tweeter back to us for diaphragm replacement.  There is no charge.

We remove the horn and the screen from the G2 tweeter.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2007, 02:40 am »
Brian,

That is very cool of you.  I had some dinner guests'  children kill the cantilever on my Dynavector DV10x4.  I had to buy a new one. 

Yar762

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2007, 03:16 am »
Brian, That is very cool of you.

I agree - very cool - considering that this was a defect in parental skills rather than a defect in workmanship and material.

Did I mention that I love the sound of these speakers?  Their ability to maintain composure at insane volume levels is quite unreal.  I was listening to Dire Straights "Brother in Arms" on vinyl last night and didn't realize how loud it was until I tried to hold a conversation with my wife! 

To that end, my Pass Labs X350 runs out of steam before the RM40s even break a sweat.  I need more power.  I noticed interest in the Ampzilla on this forum.  Any advice on amps with the RM40s and why do you like what you have??

Ray

audiochef

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2007, 07:52 am »
Ray, running out of power? That's hard to believe.  You must be listening at unussually loud levels with an icredibilly understanding family.
I'm driving 40s bass with an older cousin of yours, a moddified 250 watt Threshold and it's absolutely fantastic. Big, lush, musical and stable. A 50watt tube amp on top. My room is only 17 1/2 by 13 1/2 so there's plenty everything there and am very satisfied with the sound .

Stan

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2007, 11:03 am »
Kids are funny!  One time I couldn't tell why my center channel wouldn't work, and then I realized that one of the kids had turned off my 5-channel amp that I use for the center and surrouds.  If it's got a button, kids will push the button!  And, when I was moving from my friend's house, I moved my rear surrouds, which are front ported.  Out fell a ping pong ball, which one of the kids had stuffed into the port! 

machine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2007, 01:12 pm »
2yo son, 5 yo daughter.

I had just gotton my DODD battery pre a few weeks before and was having some issues with high frequencies distorting on certain passages (traced it to using a y adapter on 2nd set of output to run sub, ran 2 separate lines and problem was solved).

While triing to track problem down I opened the top and rolled a few sets of tube to see if they could be the cause.

It got to be late and since this system was in our master bedroom, I left it open figuring the wife would be smart enuff to keep the kids out.

Well... I get the call later that day at work... son, screrwdriver, master bedroom, daughter says it looked like fireworks... son ok (most important)... dread at what i'll find when I get home.

Luckly he just shorted and destroyed a set of traces between a set of batteries and I was able to fix it with a little wire and solder.

So far they have left the speakers alone, a though they went thru the pushbutton phase and gave that projection TV in the family room a good workout!  They know how to run that system better then my wife!

slc247

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2007, 01:20 pm »
Kids are funny but parents are worse,
Had the neighbors over for a Sunday afternoon, precious little tot just learned to walk. Thought it was just adorable that she could stand on her own, on my turntable that is.

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2007, 01:41 pm »
Sorry, not interested in any kids. I get stressed out having a cat, but my cat has never clawed my speakers. She's very good that way.
Maybe you can make cages out of chicken wire and place them around your speakers to protect 'em?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2007, 01:55 pm »
I think I reported herein previously that I used to live in Burnsville a few years ago, and was plagued by mice.  My two lovely cats used the ports in my B&W 801 speakers as wonderful places to push their dead mice into the cabinets as the mouse storage place.   :o

The smell finally got my attention.  The mouse damping might have actually improved the sound.  :)

Frank Van Alstine

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2007, 03:31 pm »
My brother just had to hear a pair of Tannoy 12 inch golds at his house, after loading them in his car all was fine, when he returned them  the dustcovers on both speakers were pushed in by my darling little nieces :nono:
  My brother kind of acted like , ah no big deal! :cry:

Yar762

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2007, 03:56 pm »
Great stories - I learned early on that one should ALWAYS check the volume level before cueing up a CD or album when you have little ones.  A while back one of my little girls had given the knob a big 'ol twist to the right and when I pushed play... Hit the deck!!!   :o  Luckily I was fast with the fingers and didn't fry any EMIMs in my IRS Deltas!!

Yar762

« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2007, 04:02 pm »
Sorry, not interested in any kids. I get stressed out having a cat, but my cat has never clawed my speakers. She's very good that way.
Maybe you can make cages out of chicken wire and place them around your speakers to protect 'em?

Good thought - but maybe I'll put the kids in the cage instead...  The chicken wire might impact the sound if I put it around the speakers!  :icon_lol:

The_KiD

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2007, 04:42 pm »
UFFF.. That sucks. Kids are a funny thing. My daughter has never even attempted to touch my stuff so I guess I have been very fortunate as I have heard many a horror story. Having a dedicated listening room helps as well if you can swing it. However, there are always her friends who come over and are drawn to my gear with curious fingers. I have just gotten in the habbit of making sure I put the grills on when I know there will be other kids over. Myt wife once told me that one of her friends was wandering into my listing room (this houses my guitars and 2-channel system) and my daughter told her "do not go in there unless you want to see my father very ANGRY with you!". I have never been so proud of her.. LOL..

Good luck on the fix..

Cheers,

KiD

audiochef

« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2007, 06:29 pm »
Right on Kid, another Social-D fan.

The_KiD

« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2007, 08:24 pm »
Right on Kid, another Social-D fan.

Nice! Yes, I am a HUGE fan of Mike Ness and Social D. They are touring this year and announcing new dates every other week or so. Cannot wait for them to come to DC this year..

Cheers,

KiD

hmen

« Reply #18 on: 31 Mar 2007, 09:05 pm »
Have you considered an invisible fence? Just lay the wire around the speakers. Getting the collars on the kids might be a little tricky though.

http://www.invisiblefence.com/

BrunoB

« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2007, 07:56 am »
I have been enjoying the sound of my new RM40s for about 2 weeks now.  Love that sound.  Did I mention that I love the sound?

In any event, one of my lovely little girls (1 & 3, neither one is fessing up..) smoothed those nice little pleats right out of one of my FST tweeters with their tiny little finger when daddy was at work!  It still works, but it can't be too healthy.  Not sure what my options to repair or replace are...  :cry:

Based on the Technical discussion at the VMPS website, these are VMPS specified versions of the Aurum Cantus G2 or G2Si (??). When I looked at the Aurum website, I notice that the originals come with protective screens.  Has anyone used the screened versions before?  Could screens be added to mine?  Impact on sound quality? 

Maybe I'll be putting my kids up on EBay tonight.... (Not!  Don't send the DCFS!)

Ray

I would glue a piece of mosquito screen to cover the tweeter.

Bruno