Audio Myths too

Guy 13

Re: Audio Myths too
« Reply #280 on: 5 Aug 2013, 06:38 am »
Hi Michael and all Audio Circle members.
So far, so good.
This time your write up is much better than the original (First) batch of posts...
Keep writing, I am all eyes... On your text.

Guy 13

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
  • "everything affects everything else"
    • MGA/RoomTune
Re: Audio Myths too
« Reply #281 on: 5 Aug 2013, 10:33 pm »
Thanks Guy13

It all comes down to the crowd your talking to, and how you are as a communicator.

I have found that each world I work with and talk to there is a completely different code to decipher. Not only their code but mine for them. It's usually when we listen together that they say "Oh my, now I see".

For example: some listeners came by this morning as they needed to hear for themselves what I was talking about when I was describing the size of a particular soundstage. They would listen to the same piece of music and have a thought of what it was doing in their mind, yet when I talked about it I made it sound (to them) embellished. To me, I was actually soft selling but if they didn't hear this it would sound like another audiophile fish tale. I was not expecting the visit and when they simply showed up I was a little taken back, but it was what it was and so I was going to put on the piece of music and leave so they could listen on their own. However they again surprised me and said "you have on Made in Japan, let's listen to that". I went outside and after about a half hour the one guy came out and grabbed his friend, sat him down in the chair, then he joined me outside. "that's impossible" were his words. After his friend was done we went and sat by the pool and talked about it.

This is pretty much what I go through every day of my life. People who have been taught one set of rules and getting the typical High End Audio soundstage more or less. However when they do these tricks that I'm talking about they experience a whole different....hobby. A hobby that in a basic or even smallish place creating "huge" soundstages. Soundstages that are far closer to real space, real size and real life.

As I find these tricks they get added to the method of listening that I've been working on for over 30 years now.

It's totally cool with me if people want to listen to whatever size they want, but where I get off the boat is when they say this is absolute, cause it isn't. Absolute would be if you hear everything including the real size of the rooms these guys are recording in. Many listening experts I have talked to (and listened with) over the years say that what the audiophile crowd is listening to is a small percentage of what is really there on the recording and I would have to agree. There's far more content there than what is coming through the systems and I'm into, and always have been, going after more. There might be a chapter of folks that want to listen to a much smaller soundstage than real but this industry has got focused on that small stage and stayed there for an awful long time.

What I do is get rid of the distortion that is making these stages do this. In the process it means getting rid of a lot of stuff in the system that doesn't need to be there. In fact this extra bulk is causing the problem.

As I said recently to one reviewer "this hobby is still so young". We really are barely getting started in exploring the playback part of this thing, and along the way are finding that there have been some missteps.