Panoramas with stands from Rutledge Audio Design

thugh

« on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:02 am »
After a long wait, (initial order was mid June), I have just received my first pair of custom stands from Rutledge Audio Design for my Panoramas.  They were done in Cherry and come very close to matching the finish from ACI.  Here is the link to the Gallery.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=447

Also in the Gallery is a pic of my full range center  :lol:

(Essence with Maestro as a stand... Auralex isolation foam is used to isolate)

Bill-99

« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:25 am »
thugh,

Nice looking stands, and fabulous looking speakers. (I admit some bias as I also own a pair of Panoramas. :-)

A couple of questions for you. Did the stands include spikes? Can the stands be mass loaded or is that unnecessary? Did you compare them to any other stands, and if so, any differences of interest?

Last question... How's that Maestro working out?

Congrats on the acquisition!

-Bill

thugh

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:32 am »
Quote from: Bill-99
thugh,

Nice looking stands, and fabulous looking speakers. (I admit some bias as I also own a pair of Panoramas. :-)

A couple of questions for you. Did the stands include spikes? Can the stands be mass loaded or is that unnecessary? Did you compare them to any other stands, and if so, any differences of interest?

Last question... How's that Maestro working out?

Congrats on the acquisition!

-Bill

Panos are awesome  :D I started the "Brooke Burke Thread" at AVS that documented my speaker hunt that ended in the Panos  :mrgreen:

The stands include the carpet spikes, they have a sealed center column with a hole in top to mass load if you wish, I neither spiked nor mass loaded (pretty heavy by themselves).  The Panos were on some 18inch stands before, now 22inches which brings the mid in line with ear level, which does cause a little shift in soundstage.

And the Maestro is still sitting quiet as my MC12 is still awaiting the software download for V4... can you believe noone at work has a serial cable?  I have to drop by Frys this week.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2004, 11:33 pm »
Wow!  It looks like the columns match the speakers pretty well.  I'm always a little nervous with how well wood from two different sources will match up.  I'm glad that they turned out so well.

thugh

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2004, 12:28 am »
Quote from: Brian Bunge
Wow!  It looks like the columns match the speakers pretty well.  I'm always a little nervous with how well wood from two different sources will match up.  I'm glad that they turned out so well.

They do match quite well, worth the wait!  :)

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2004, 05:03 am »
thugh

Good Job. A little detail is always fun.

E

Eric

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2004, 05:31 am »
They look awesome!!!

thugh

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2004, 04:20 pm »
Thanks Eric and thedeskE,

But I just ordered them Brian built them, he deserves the congrats  :D

thugh

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2004, 05:21 pm »
My room is now complete... for now  :)

Previously, I had the Panoramas on 18 inch stands which put the tweeter right at ear level.  After talking to ACI, I ordered front stands that were 22 inches to put the mid at ear level.  There is a noticeable increase in airiness and expanse… vocals seem to hang majestically in the air…

If you are not currently set up this way… give it a shot!

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2004, 04:32 pm »
thugh

Interesting, the mids get a little better with the extra 4 inches? What's your ceiling height and do you set your center over the TV/screen or under?

I've experimented with a few height positions in my room, and find positive points at 17 and 20 stand heights.

Either way, I think I'm becoming a lead shot fanatic.

E

thugh

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2004, 05:28 pm »
To me, yes they did as the Mid is now at ear height.  My Ceiling is sloped, starting at eight feet on front wall and peaking at 10.

My center is actually on top of my Maestro (check gallery) with Aurelex foam acting as the isolator.  So it is below my screen.  I like the from above position better that I had with my plasma but just not possible with a projector.  I think in the next iteration I will get an acoustically transparent screen and order a single Panorama from Mike for Center duty.