which speakers appropropriate for 10x10 room

wilsynet

which speakers appropropriate for 10x10 room
« on: 7 Nov 2008, 04:42 pm »
I'd like to build a system in a 10' x 10' room.

The complete list of current speakers are: Super 5, Super 3 XRS, Super 3 Bipole, Compact Hemp, Super Hemp, Max Hemp.

Which are appropriate for this rather smallish room?  Does 10x10 qualify as near field listening?  I'm also concerned about rear porting because with only 10' of depth, I still need a seating area and don't want to pull the speakers more than 2' from the wall.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2008, 07:43 pm by wilsynet »

ZLS

Re: which speakers appropropriate for 10x10 room
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2008, 05:52 pm »
    I would contact Louis Chochos of Omega q (203) 847-2800.  He will have some interesting suggestions as to which speaker would give you the best sound. 

el dub

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2008, 06:44 pm »
Our super 6 alnico bookshelf system sounded great in our smallish living room. And they also manage to fill the larger kitchen/sunroom with glorious single driver sound.

We're now waiting on a pair of xrs super 6" alnicos.

I'd sreiously consider this line.

lw

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2008, 12:01 am »
I'd like to build a system in a 10' x 10' room.

The complete list of current speakers are: Super 5, Super 3 XRS, Super 3 Bipole, Compact Hemp, Super Hemp, Max Hemp.

Which are appropriate for this rather smallish room?  Does 10x10 qualify as near field listening?  I'm also concerned about rear porting because with only 10' of depth, I still need a seating area and don't want to pull the speakers more than 2' from the wall.

That is a small room. Mine is 13' x 12' and I get glorious sound from Compact Hemps (with a small sub). But I listen near-field, speaker fronts out from back wall about 3' 9", and a pretty good amount of GIK room treatments. I also listen very close to the speakers, with the speakers wider apart than the distance from the front plane of speakers to my ears.

Seriously your best bet is to talk to Louis (he prefers phone to e-mail, and as others will attest, he's great to talk to). Chances are he will even build a speaker like the Super 5 or Super 6 Alnico Monitors with ports on the FRONT if that's what's best for your room. You also may be better served by XRS style speakers, which by design are more room friendly. IMO only Louis has the depth of experience and knowledge to tell you what's best for your situation. Kent

Kent

Hank Murrow

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2008, 03:10 pm »
Dear wilsynet;

Louis built a pair of Super 5s in burled ash for me that have the ports on the sides( I face the ports to the outside to avoid cancellation) and they work well in small rooms and even very large rooms. I had them playing in a huge room at VSAC 2008 with good results from a 5W set amp. There is an earlier Super 5 thread on this forum about them.

Cheers, Hank

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2008, 12:55 am »
Hi wilsynet,

Thanks and great posts. A lot of the speakers will sound great in small rooms. The port issue can be taken care of as I build all speakers in house and can help you out with placement. Hank's speakers are great example and they sound great with side ports.

Thanks,
Louis