Class D that sounds like Class A

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Class D that sounds like Class A
« on: 3 May 2018, 06:48 pm »
It took decades of R&D to figure out....  Cherry Amplifiers are made with a totally proprietary design that does things differently than other Class-D amplifiers.  This is why we have been able to achieve that "Cherry Sound" that makes Maraschino and MEGAschino amps "sound like Class-A".  The difference is simply more refined sound.  Smoother top end and more detail in the midrange.  Tight, controlled bass is only the beginning of what can be done with Class-D if done right.  We explained this during the brief talks (and Q&A) we held at AXPONA.  We start off with an amp that can achieve such bench numbers as 130dB and 0.000x% THD+N, then we tweak the design to get sound quality to much higher levels.  The cost is about 10dB SNR, but when you wind up with 120dB, there's no real downside to this process.  What you get is an amp that controls the speaker well over the entire range and beyond, without the "etchy" sound that can happen with typical, non-optimal Class-D.

The MEGAschino raised the bar by getting to the next level power-wise, offering up to 1000W into 4 ohms.  Talk about headroom!  This amp achieves what was thought to be impossible years ago.

-Tommy O

maty

Re: Class D that sounds like Class A
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2018, 07:09 pm »
There are more class A designs and sounds, like class AB. And circuit topologies. A spectacular sound is addictive for a relatively short time. Something more is needed for the addition to remain: EMOTION.

The MEGAschino raised the bar by getting to the next level power-wise, offering up to 1000W into 4 ohms.  Talk about headroom!

Spectacular, big soundstage.... but with your new class D amps can we get excited with some excellent recordings? It is what I ask about this technology.

maty

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2018, 07:16 pm »
Corinthians 13

If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but do not love, I am nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.

Allow me the license:

If it sound with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but do not emotion, it is nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2018, 08:34 pm »
You are the Bob Carver of Class D. Reference is to the claims by Bob he could duplicate the sound of SOTA tube amps and did the experiment at Stereophile over a couple day period.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2018, 12:20 pm »
We are currently running a Spring Special, and this includes DEMO (the first!) Stereo MEGAs.

If you subscribe to our newsletter, you should have received an email about this a few weeks ago.

If you're not already subscribed to our newsletter, please subscribe now to get information on these specials and another MEGA offer:
https://bit.ly/2FdSR7K

Thanks.

-Tommy O
« Last Edit: 11 May 2018, 03:58 pm by AmpDesigner333 »

maty

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2018, 01:30 pm »
Better without the Thanks: https://bit.ly/2FdSR7K

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2018, 04:00 pm »
Better without the Thanks: https://bit.ly/2FdSR7K
The link above was fixed.  Thanks (irony?)

(:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2018, 04:22 pm »
Tommy, in all honesty I think your amps sound superior to ALL the Class A amps I have owned or heard regardless of price.  :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2018, 06:27 pm »
Tommy, in all honesty I think your amps sound superior to ALL the Class A amps I have owned or heard regardless of price.  :thumb:
Thank you very much for saying that!  We aim to please with our Cherry sound quality (:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2018, 11:18 pm »
The truth is I think the Maraschino’s sound better than every tube amp (SETs included) I have owned or heard in the past 40 years. I can’t think of another amp I’d rather have, regardless of price. These unassuming, unpretentious little wonders are by far the cleanest and clearest sounding amps I’ve heard period. I like the fact that you don’t stick them in an unnecessarily big chassis or try to embellish them with non functioning heat sinks for the sake of appearances.  :roll:  :lol:

I like the fact that the advanced technology behind them is exclusive and proprietary - not generic circuitry wrapped up in some bullshit empty fly by night private label. Many years ago I use to work in a bakery that produced up to 70,000 loaves of bread a day. Of those 70,000 loaves, on average 64,000 loaves were packaged under the bakery’s own name; the remaining 6000 loaves were packaged in 18 different private labels, which of course had nothing to do with the actual creation of the product. It seemed like a rather strange practice, but even more surprising is that this idea of selling someone else’s product as though it were your own creation happens in audio. Anyone, even a clueless dork can package someone else’s product in their own chassis and call it their own brand, which of course is nothing but a sham.

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2018, 11:40 pm »
WC, well someone has finally said it. It was just a matter of time!
Why haven't I been reading anything on the "other ones" on any of the other boards?  :scratch:

I despise over hyped products. My opinion of course. :lol:

I'm old after 40 years of flipping I've learned.....fix your room!
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 09:33 am by bacobits1 »

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2018, 12:38 am »
The truth is I think the Maraschino’s sound better than every tube amp (SETs included) I have owned or heard in the past 40 years. I can’t think of another amp I’d rather have, regardless of price. These unassuming, unpretentious little wonders are by far the cleanest and clearest sounding amps I’ve heard period.

Just to add -- I never understood the audiophile babble about, "class A sound" or "tube sound" or "solid state sound." A good amp is a good amp. It's all about quality and design. The quality part is easy (if you can afford it); it's the genius of the design that matters most. And that's tough to find because there's only a handful of genius level audio designers in the world. Here's how you can distinguish geniuses from great designers -- geniuses can take an existing technology (or create a new one) to a completely different level and make it affordable. The Cherry gear is genius.   

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2018, 05:30 pm »
Thanks for the compliments !!!!  I love the fact that there are listeners out there that "get it".  Unfortunately, doing things right in this case doesn't come cheap.  People have the tendency to look at equipment "price first", grouping Cherry products with the "other guys".  It's taken decades to get the name out there without "playing the game" like the well known brands.  So, I've managed to use quotes four times in this post  :o

Thanks again.  You guys made my day!

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2018, 06:36 pm »
WC, well someone has finally said it. It was just a matter of time!
Why haven't I been reading anything on the "other ones" on any of the other boards?  :scratch:

I despise over hyped products. My opinion of course. :lol:

I'm old after 40 years of flipping I've learned.....fix your room!
Awesome thumbnail, by the way!

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2018, 06:40 pm »
I had given up on Class d for a total emotional experience. The Zellatons I had here hated them. But my mind changed when Tommy's amps was hooked up. He offered me 30 day money back guarantee, so I said what the heck. All other class d amps sounded too dry and sterile. Even the 2 watt SET amp from Wolf Ear Audio sounded much better.