Older Eagle 2C amplifier problem

JOATMON

Older Eagle 2C amplifier problem
« on: 27 Aug 2018, 08:02 am »
I have an older Eagle 2C amp from the early 90's. One channel has gone out. I tried contacting the company through email, and also called, but have yet to get an answer! This has been a couple of weeks now.

I'm thinking it may be a bad cap or caps, and also wondering if the transistors may need to be changed as well?

Has anyone ever upgraded these older Eagle amps? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I just want to get it up and running!  :icon_lol:

Thanks in advanced!

JOATMON

Re: Older Eagle 2C amplifier problem
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2018, 11:00 pm »
I'm wondering if I've posted this thread in the correct place?  :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:17 am »
Do you have the schematic? It will be need for repair.

JOATMON

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2018, 03:21 am »
Do you have the schematic? It will be need for repair.

Unfortunately, I don't! I have looked all over the internet, with no luck. I have the website to EKSC and have tried contacting them by phone and email, but haven't heard a word. I could take good photos of the parts and pcb as I would be willing to take it down and visually see if I spot anything.

I was thinking that perhaps replacing all of the caps, and transistors may get it back running again. The circuitry doesn't seem very complex, as compared to todays circuit boards..LOL

I'm fairly sure that I can get all of the caps, including the 50V/80,000 mfd. THe transistors may be another issue as they are from the early 90's.. What do you think?

Thanks for your reply!

Jack

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2018, 03:34 am »
What are the transistors?
If the Transistors are IE they will help you, they are very friendly.
If its a simple PCB a good tech can trace the issue.

JOATMON

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2018, 04:24 am »
Here is a photo I took after removing the (2) big 50V/80,000mfd caps. I am guessing that those are all transistors?
The big FET's??? are Sanken 2SC2774/ with 590 under that. Then they have some labeled Sanken 2SA1170/ with 4NY under that. I also see some smaller transistors labeled SKC2168/ with 490 under that. I take it the SK is for Sanken. Hoping you can see what I am saying in the photo. Thanks again!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2018, 04:38 am »
I had one power with Sanken Mosfets, they were great sound transistors.
Hope Sanken yet have these devices:
https://www.semicon.sanken-ele.co.jp/en/contact/tech/index.html
Change only the defective parts, these transistors were matched at Eagle.

EDITED NEW LINK

JOATMON

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2018, 04:51 am »
Thanks bro! Appreciate that info! Do you think it would be worth the time and extra money to try and fix this amp? I mean I was looking at changing out all the caps with same values. Also, the 2 big caps I believe I can go with a little more than 80,000mfd. I see on the Eagle website that they were using 100,000mfd as part of the upgrades. I can purchase some of these big caps in a 63V, but they aren't that cheap..around like $40 per cap. I just didn't want to sink to much into this amp, and something else fail. I imagine that the diodes and resistors would last a longer time than the caps and transistors?

By the way, I did find a schematic for an Eagle 7A Rev2 version. But I am not sure how much difference  it would be from the 2C that I have. Here is the schematics if you were interested. I hope that you can make it out:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2018, 05:15 am »
I imagine that the diodes and resistors would last a longer time than the caps and transistors?
Its possible, if they were used in conservative way.

How old are this amp? what year it was made?
I dont know if it have good sound or a special sound character by current standards, if not it will be just a vintage amp for nostagia fans, however feelings worth much and have no price.

JOATMON

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2018, 05:35 am »
It seems to be built and inspected Mid December 1992. So it is almost 26 years old..hehehe..I think that this amp has a seeked after bass output. It's bottom end is really good! I do see that someone had made a prototype using the schematics I had posted for the Eagle 7A Rev 2.

You can see that write up here if you like:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/238082-electron-kinetics-eagle-7a-amp-help.html

I could probably change all of the parts on the pcb, and leave the transformer? I think that for a little more, I can get the resistors, diodes, and any other part/s to completely rebuild this amp. It would take quite a bit of time de-soldering and then re-soldering the new components..LOL

I'll have to think about this some more. Perhaps I can sell it fairly cheap and let someone else take it on..hehehe

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2018, 05:42 am »
I could probably change all of the parts on the pcb, and leave the transformer?
Dont do it, dont fix what is not broken.
It will worth more in original condition.

JOATMON

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:06 am »
Yes, I would agree with you! The only problem I have is I am not sure what component/s are defective. I'm not really sure how I can check these big 80,000mfd caps. My DMM will only go up to around 10,000mfd..lol

Also, Is it possible to check the transistors while still in tact on the pcb? I'm open to suggestions! I do have a little experience with electronics, but very little..lol.. I can solder and check values and such with my DMM. I would need guidance for sure..LOL

Jack

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:10 am »
I also not able to guide you, I would look for a audio experiencied tech, he will inform it all to you along with any defective part.

JOATMON

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:21 am »
The problem is I don't really know any that are close by..lol  Perhaps there are other forums that I may be able to get some help with what I am trying to do? I imagine they have some electronic forums that people there can assist me. I'll have to do some Googling! hehehe

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:27 am »
Try this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/
However work with electricity is dangerous protective measures are need, as rubber gloves, no rings, watches etc

JOATMON

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:48 am »
Thanks for the link! I shall see what they tell me there! Cheers!!!