Woodworker with no electronics experience

russellberg

Woodworker with no electronics experience
« on: 9 May 2020, 05:49 am »
Hello there!  I am a very experienced woodworker with very little electronics experience, although I have done a little soldering.  The rest of it, though, represents a significant learning challenge.  I am excited to be learning though and look forward to the journey.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Woodworker with no electronics experience
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2020, 06:00 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
You will aware there is some woodworkers members too.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2020, 11:36 am »
Hello there!  I am a very experienced woodworker with very little electronics experience, although I have done a little soldering.  The rest of it, though, represents a significant learning challenge.  I am excited to be learning though and look forward to the journey.

Welcome to the AC, Russel,

I'm somewhat of a woodworker with no electronics experience myself.  If you have any interest in applying your woodworking skills to audio projects, you might like my website:

http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2020, 12:06 pm »
Welcome!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2020, 12:36 pm »
Welcome aboard mate.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2020, 01:11 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Russell   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2020, 02:26 pm »
Welcome!

Always curious about how woodworking and audio go together as woodworkers can be expected to suffer hearing loss around saws, planners, etc. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2020, 02:34 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

diyman

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2020, 06:07 pm »
Welcome!

Always curious about how woodworking and audio go together as woodworkers can be expected to suffer hearing loss around saws, planners, etc.

I'm also a woodworker and do have hearing loss, but I think that was natural with age and not related directly to woodworking.  Most woodworkers are aware of the problem with loud machinery and those that care wear hearing protection.  Along with dust protection, that is pretty much a necessity.   But, of course, there are some people who skip one or the other, or both.

It also depends on time of exposure.  It's my understanding that it's the lengthy and loud exposure that is most damaging.   For hobbyists the length of time at high noise levels is probably not an issue.

jcsperson

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2020, 09:36 pm »
Welcome!

I have some hearing loss. I can't hear anything above 9K or so. I have some dips at other frequencies. It's probably from listening to rock at 10 as a kid, being around jet aircraft, and just being 65.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2020, 09:37 pm »
Welcome..

And the electronics part is easy..
 8)

eboleyn

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2020, 06:12 pm »
Exactly the opposite for me.   :|

I've been considering building some custom floorstanders for my living room based on my experiments.  While I know the drivers and electronics to use, my cabinet-making skills are ... lacking to put it lightly.  I'll probably have to try a few times to get something with enough WAF to be acceptable to the family.  Sigh.

P.S.:  Frankly on the electronics side I'd be cheating since my best results are using a digital crossover, but I've built multiple crossovers and some amplifiers, so feel my "opposite" comment is justified.  Heh.

russellberg

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2020, 03:56 am »
Yes, I definitely always use ear protection.  Often with active noise cancelling.

I'm also a woodworker and do have hearing loss, but I think that was natural with age and not related directly to woodworking.  Most woodworkers are aware of the problem with loud machinery and those that care wear hearing protection.  Along with dust protection, that is pretty much a necessity.   But, of course, there are some people who skip one or the other, or both.

It also depends on time of exposure.  It's my understanding that it's the lengthy and loud exposure that is most damaging.   For hobbyists the length of time at high noise levels is probably not an issue.

russellberg

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2020, 03:57 am »
The first kit I am using has a photographic diagram but I am dreading the day I have to decode a wiring schematic.
Exactly the opposite for me.   :|

I've been considering building some custom floorstanders for my living room based on my experiments.  While I know the drivers and electronics to use, my cabinet-making skills are ... lacking to put it lightly.  I'll probably have to try a few times to get something with enough WAF to be acceptable to the family.  Sigh.

P.S.:  Frankly on the electronics side I'd be cheating since my best results are using a digital crossover, but I've built multiple crossovers and some amplifiers, so feel my "opposite" comment is justified.  Heh.

jodell1973@gmail.com

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2020, 05:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum!