Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2009, 11:56 pm »

Later Wayner added: and I have no drug scales to use to weigh it.

Wayner,

I got rid of my "multiple use" scales several years back and continue to find uses for them.  :scratch:  Wish I still had them. :wink:

Laura

I think my scale got stolen. Haven't seen it in thirty years.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:25 am »
You are one special lady! Good to see you at the RMAF, and sorry I didn't have more time. Frank had me on a busy schedule ( I think so I wouldn't get into trouble).

Wayner  aa

Thanks, and I too, am sorry we didn't have more time to talk. Next year for sure. :thumb:
I enjoy your posts and as I said before, I love the right is right and wrong is wrong in your sig block. Truth is not relative.

Perhaps we should put out an APB for Paul's stolen scales :wink:

You have me interested in the Queen album and I have to find a copy of the first Yes album (the one Paul scored at the record show in Ann Arbor).

Happy Listening,
Laura

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:53 am »
Well, I should add that I never had a drug type scale, either.

Wayner  :lol:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2009, 09:12 pm »
New arrivals...

--Jerome

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2009, 09:29 pm »
Jerome,

Could you let me know what you think of the Sinatra LP on MOFI when you get around to listening to it? Nice haul, BTW.

Wayner  :D

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #25 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:31 pm »
Hi Wayner,

I am on the final side of this marvelous two LP set.  The recording itself is quite important because it pairs Sinatra with just a sextet, and there aren't too many occasions where we have the pleasure of hearing him with a small group ensemble.  The sound quality is outstanding and sports a wide dynamic range.  When Irvin Cottler hammers the kick drum...holy smokes.  The performance of the classic Cole Porter tune Night and Day alone is worth the price of this set.  It's just Sinatra's voice and Al Viola's guitar.  No drums, no bass, no vibes, no sax.  And it is spectacular.  A lot of folks believe that Sinatra at the Sands is his finest live recording.  I like it too....but Sinatra in Paris, with 26 of this best songs in an intimate setting, to my ears is Sinatra's finest live document, one that showcases his talents at a time when he is still at the top of his game.  Mo-Fi hit it out of the park with the mastering.  This is beyond essential listening for anyone who appreciates Sinatra's music.

--Jerome

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:59 pm »
Well, I should add that I never had a drug type scale, either.

Wayner  :lol:

Here you go WaynerDigital Scale

works very well to set up TT weight

Ed

minus the $99 audio markup  :thumb:

twitch54

« Reply #27 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:15 pm »
Later Wayner added: and I have no drug scales to use to weigh it.

I got rid of my "multiple use" scales several years back and continue to find uses for them.  :scratch:  Wish I still had them. :wink:

Laura
[/quote]

Laura / Wayner, being a gun enthusiast, my digital scale (used for reloading, powder weight, etc) is measured in grams , works well but if you have a lb scale the conversion is 454 grams to a lb.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #28 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:44 pm »
Thanks Dave.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:48 pm »

Here you go WaynerDigital Scale

works very well to set up TT weight

Ed

minus the $99 audio markup  :thumb:

Something like this would have been very useful back in the late 60's and 70's :wink: :lol:

Laura

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #30 on: 23 Oct 2009, 09:39 pm »
These just in today.  I think I have three more orders on the way.

--Jerome

twitch54

« Reply #31 on: 23 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm »
Something like this would have been very useful back in the late 60's and 70's :wink: :lol:

For all those anal here's what I use .........

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #32 on: 24 Oct 2009, 08:49 pm »
These came in today...

Thanks to vinyl_lady for the Mark Knopfler post.  I was aware of the relase but it slipped my mind for some inexplicable reason.  It's been a busy month for vinyl buys for me.

--Jerome

Scottdazzle

« Reply #33 on: 24 Oct 2009, 08:59 pm »
Here's the latest batch of Blue Note and Impulse 45 RPM long players that were delivered today.  I am about to queue up Joe Henderson's Page One8)  I have more vinyl coming tomorrow.

--Jerome

Jerome,

Be sure to post what you think of these.  The Shorter and Mingus albums are two of my all-time favorites on regular vinyl.

Scott

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2009, 02:16 am »
Have the dead weathe ron vinyl very nice. Mark Knofler was just more of the same  kinda blah

ed

These came in today...

Thanks to vinyl_lady for the Mark Knopfler post.  I was aware of the relase but it slipped my mind for some inexplicable reason.  It's been a busy month for vinyl buys for me.

--Jerome

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #35 on: 25 Oct 2009, 05:23 am »
Jerome....
That Gil Evans "Out of the Cool" is an excellent album.... :thumb:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #36 on: 25 Oct 2009, 12:22 pm »
Jerome,

Be sure to post what you think of these.  The Shorter and Mingus albums are two of my all-time favorites on regular vinyl.

I don't own an original pressing of the Mingus album but instead own a couple of different reissues.  I do have an original Blue Note and a direct metal master cut in the 1980s of Ju Ju.  I consider both 45s to be very worthwhile upgrades, and I can say the same for the rest of the series from Analogue Productions and Music Matters.  I don't own them all, but I have managed to gather 62 of them and have yet to be disappointed.  The mastering has uniformly been superb and is consistent with what one would expect from Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman.

--Jerome

Scottdazzle

« Reply #37 on: 27 Oct 2009, 03:50 pm »
Jerome,

I don't own an original pressing of the Mingus album but instead own a couple of different reissues.  I do have an original Blue Note and a direct metal master cut in the 1980s of Ju Ju.  I consider both 45s to be very worthwhile upgrades, and I can say the same for the rest of the series from Analogue Productions and Music Matters.  I don't own them all, but I have managed to gather 62 of them and have yet to be disappointed.  The mastering has uniformly been superb and is consistent with what one would expect from Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman.

--Jerome

The 1980 direct metal master of Shorter's Juju is stupendous.  It's much more alive than the original I compared it to, but I haven't heard the new issue.  It's hard to imagine how it could be much better.  I have heard 2 copies of the 1980 DMM and both have very quiet surfaces.  All of the Blue Note DMM's I've heard have been excellent.

Scott

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #38 on: 27 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm »
I agree that the DMMs are very good, but they are also getting very scarce and very pricey.  I don't give Hoffman a rubber stamp of approval for everything.  For example, I was very disappointed with his work on the Yes - Fragile reissue for Analogue Productions and felt my original 1972 pressing was far and away the better record.  But my disappointments in Hoffman's mastering are quite rare and I think he gets it right much more often than not.

I'm far from a bass head but one weak area that a lot of original Blue Note pressings I own have is in the bottom end.  On a lot of these albums the rhythm section sounds like they are playing in another room and it drives me nuts.  The reissues correct that to a great extent by delivering a more full, richer sound.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2009, 11:47 pm by jsaliga »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #39 on: 27 Oct 2009, 10:22 pm »
Today's new arrivals:

--Jerome