SL1200 Power Supply Upgrade

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
SL1200 Power Supply Upgrade
« on: 2 May 2012, 05:40 pm »
I just posted this in the Technics BB at Vinyl Engine and thought I'd share it here as well.

In the past year I've been converted to the audio religion of Zu.  Listening to their speakers has been transformational in my enjoyment of music.  Their primary music source is a highly modified SL1200  http://zuaudio.blogspot.com/2011/03/zu-sl-1200-turntable.html so I decided to pick one up and bang on it to hear what I could get out of it.  I found one on ebay with a SME armboard instead of a stock arm so I grabbed it.  Lots of SL1200 upgrade stuff out there.  I focused initially on mounting my Graham arm, treating the aluminum plinth with Sound Coat and reworking the power supply.

I looked at some of the external PS boxes made for the SL1200 and couldn't justify that kind of money for such simple "regulator in a box" power supplies. Besides, to work correctly, the regulator needs to be near the circuit, not in a box three feet away.

There’s no magic to the SL1200’s power supply needs. All it needs is filtered, regulated +21vdc and current capacity of around 1 amp to start the platter and .25 amps to keep it moving. Having more current capacity would be nice if I decide to try some of the heavy metal record weights and mats that are en vogue with the SL1200 these days. Since there's enough room under the hood, I decided to update the PS inside the deck. Here's what I did.

Remove The Transformer: First I mounted the transformer in an external metal box. Why? Because I don’t want my Denon DL103 cartridge moving through the radiating field of the transformer under the platter as it plays a record. The yellow 31VAC transformer secondary leads were extended from the box to the deck with microphone cable, connected to the original power switch and attached to AC input on the main board.  I used the drain wire in the microphone cable to connect the AC power ground to the deck’s ground point.

Upgrade the Filter Cap: To help the PS deliver more instantaneous current for platter start-ups, I replaced the stock 470uf 50v filter cap with a Panasonic FC 2200uf 50v. The stock bridge rectifier with snubber caps looks fine to me so I left it there. I removed the old cap and (using more microphone cable) ran the DC output from the rectifier up to the new filter cap mounted on its side near the regulator.

Replace the Regulator: To regulate the +40vdc from the filter cap down to +21vdc I used a Linear Technology LT317 regulator. (Thanks to Mike Galusha for direction on this.)  The LT317 is an improved version of the LM317, as reflected in its price ($4 for a LT317 vs. 40 cents for a LM317). The resistor values to get +21vdc are 100 ohms for R1 and 1500 ohms for R2. The leads from the 2200uf filter cap were soldered directly to the regulator pins for a short power path. I added a 10uF poly cap in parallel with R2 for improved ripple rejection. See the datasheet for connection schematic. The LT317 was mounted to the chassis with the same clamp as the original regulator.

REALLY IMPORTANT NOTE: Because the back of the LT317 is voltage out, not ground, I had to use a ceramic insulator between the regulator and chassis for isolation. Mounting the LT317 directly to the chassis (like the original regulator is mounted) would short the +21vdc output directly to ground. Not good.

Connect the New Power Supply: I removed Q1 (the stock regulator), R2, R4, and C3 from the main board and connected the +21vdc from the regulator to the wire jumper located between C3 and the stylus lamp connector.  That’s it for the power supply. Parts cost under $30.

Note: The Zu link above shows a picture of the SL1200 with the stock transformer and AC board in place.

Russ

mgalusha

Re: SL1200 Power Supply Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2012, 05:49 pm »
Looks clean. What is the verdict?

Russtafarian

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2012, 07:40 pm »
It still works, so that's good.  And it does sound better with the upgraded PS.  I know that's not very helpful, but I honestly hate trying to describe what I hear.  Simply removing the transformer from the plinth probably accounts for most of the performance gains.

Someone over at Vinyl Engine took some noise measurements of a SL1200 with the transformer mounted to the plinth and with it mounted in an external box.  He noted that "emf and mechanical hum spikes in the noisefloor are much lower" with the transformer mounted externally.  That's what we'd expect but it's nice to have it verified.

I guess my point in sharing this is to show a relatively easy way to upgrade the performance of the SL1200.  I'm sure something similar could be done with other DD decks.

Russ

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2012, 08:22 pm »
Russ,

I suspect you are correct about removing the transformer, the magnetic field and vibration are both good things to get away from the TT. I was mostly curious as to if the effort was worthwhile, sound like it was.  :thumb:

Russtafarian

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2012, 09:27 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I appreciate your help in making it happen.

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2012, 01:43 pm »
Now you need to sink the spindle/bearing energy  :thumb:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=405770

Trover

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2012, 05:32 pm »
really nice work. I've heard of a few people taking out the transformer and that they heard a better sound. Have'nt done it to mine.

Russtafarian

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2012, 06:48 pm »
Now you need to sink the spindle/bearing energy 

Wow!  That's impressive.  I can't imagine how I could make that work with a 1200.  Now I have something else to obsess about.  Thanks. :?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2012, 04:40 am »
Now you need to sink the spindle/bearing energy  :thumb:

Marc,

You have a 2nd PM in the past week from me in your mailbox....please find it, read it and respond to it.

You are an Industry Participant and you need to show in your online profile that you are so that it is plain for all to see. 

Thank you, John

Russtafarian

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2012, 10:53 pm »
To put a cherry on top of this project, I just received the Achromat 1200 from Funk.  Because the SL1200's platter has a raised rim at the edge, mats with a diameter greater than 285mm (just about all of them) will not sit flat on the platter.  The Achromat 1200 has an under-layer that fits inside the rim and an over-layer that extends to the edge of the platter. 

With the mat, the 1200 is sounding pretty damn good.  In fact I'm shocked at how much difference the mat makes.  The mat fixes all the "not quite there" issues I heard after the first round of upgrades (PS upgrade, sound coated plinth, mount & calibrate Graham 2.2/Soundsmith DL103).

What I'm hearing now from the 1200 is a clear improvement over my older TNT in every way.  Granted the TNT would be more competitive with a $2,500 investment in a new SDS and rim drive, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money to keep it going.  At this point I've got about $500 into the 1200, not counting arm & cartridge, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Russ

orientalexpress

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2012, 02:02 pm »
Is this correct parts list for this upgrade?let me know if i miss anything.
1-metal box for the transformer
1-panasonic fc 2200 uf 50v cap
1-linear technology LT 317 regulator
1-100 ohm resister
1-1500 ohm resister
1-10 uf poly cap
1- 3 feet of microphone cable
  Thanks

lapsan

phonomac

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2012, 08:37 am »
Hi Russtafarian,
  What differences did you see that made the LT317 better than the LM317?

I'm looking at doing this mod myself, and any info about the best approach will be helpful.

regards

Angus

mmcchhll

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2019, 06:27 pm »
Apologies to resurrect this but is there any tutorial on how to do this? and the list of components?

Thanks