Help deciding which GR to build!

actonusa

Help deciding which GR to build!
« on: 17 Apr 2018, 03:18 pm »
After much deliberation I have decided on GR for my first build.  Finishing my workshop has gotten delayed due to house projects but hope to have it done soon. I initially wanted to go with the Statiks to give a little more detail in the woodwork but from what I have been reading they may not fit sonically with my room.  Next in line would be the N3 and then the Skinny 6.

My living room is basically an L shape that is 26' x 19'.  The couch sits along the 26' wall with the 19' wall on your right.  The HT setup is in the "Toe" if you will on a 12' wall.  So I have a full 19' wall on one side of the HT and a 6' that forms the bottom of the "L" on the other.  That should be clear as mud.

I've read that the Statiks need 3' from side and back wall.  That would leave only 6' between the L/R and virtually no sidewall for the Left speaker.  Would the Statiks be OK in this situation or should I look more at the N3 or Skinnies?  Between the later two I would prefer the N3.

I haven't purchased electronics yet but will more than likely land on the NAD T748.  Most use will be that of HT but when the wife and daughter are away I like my music.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jparkhur

Re: Help deciding which GR to build!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:39 pm »
Not to turn you away from building, I am all about it.  I am aware that Danny may have some N3 towers (from a buyout) in black already done.  Very similar.  Either way, you can not go wrong with either.  I don't know where the link is, you may have to ask Danny.   

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:40 pm »

actonusa

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:53 pm »
Seems like a great deal on those speakers but considering that I have about 1000 board foot of wood begging to be used, I think I will go that route.  Not only that, the wife wants a new entertainment center so I will build them to compliment each other.

How do the N3 and the Skinny compare?  If you get the upgrades to the N3 the cost between the two is negligible, they are both great looking speakers but is one significantly different from the other as far as the sound quality is concerned?

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:56 pm »
It is my opinion that the N3 would be better than skinny.  If you can go up, go to two 12 ob subs, with a top portion.   This is pretty consistent in the different threads that this would be a great way.  I have had N3, Small N3s and N2s.  The N3 towers are really great.   Imaging is wonderful.  Low end is great too.  JP

actonusa

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2018, 05:18 pm »
Thank you for your responses JP.  Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by a top portion?  Build an OB sub into the bottom of the N3?

Due to real estate concerns I was thinking about building the subs into the entertainment center, but under the speakers would take care of that also.  The N3S would be a perfect candidate to build in.

I love the concept of the A/V-1RS for the surrounds, considering what the surrounds actually do would they be a decent fit for the N3, N3S combo?

Chops

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2018, 02:08 pm »
Just as an FYI, I have owned my X-Statik's for 10 years now, and there has not been a single room that they did not perform well in. Proper speaker/seating placement and toe-in works wonders with these speakers. I have had some really sucky rooms that I had to use these speakers in, and with some trial and error, I got the X-Statik's to perform pretty darn good in all of them.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2018, 02:24 pm »
I'll second the recommendation of the X-Statik's.  I've built lots of Danny's designs, all great value and fidelity.  The X-Statik's are special and easily integrated.... IF you can bring them out in the room a bit. But that's true of just about all of the GR designs.  I've built the MTM designs, and although the TL gives them a bass boost, if you can build the X-Statik's and add one servo sub unit (even at a later date if $$ needs to be spread out), you'll have a better overall sound. 

Chops

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2018, 03:50 pm »
I'll second the recommendation of the X-Statik's.  I've built lots of Danny's designs, all great value and fidelity.  The X-Statik's are special and easily integrated.... IF you can bring them out in the room a bit. But that's true of just about all of the GR designs.  I've built the MTM designs, and although the TL gives them a bass boost, if you can build the X-Statik's and add one servo sub unit (even at a later date if $$ needs to be spread out), you'll have a better overall sound.

Yes, a sub or two will definitely help once you get the X-Statik's positioned correctly. I now have not one, but two JL Audio e110 subs running in my system. A lot of tweaking for them alone, gain, crossover point and phase. But once dialed in and combined with the X-Statik's, a very difficult act to beat.

actonusa

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2018, 10:09 am »
Thank you for the advice.  The X-Statik's were my first choice, I may just give them more consideration and I like all the glaring reviews that I read about the X-Voce also.