Tube bias'ing amateur

tndave123

Tube bias'ing amateur
« on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:28 pm »
Hey. I have a dynakit stereo 70 and just got a matched set of 4 tubes and am learning to bias them. I can't seem to get the channels biased at over about .765 on the 2v setting.

The stereo sounds good at about 30% volume on the receiver.

This is all pretty new to me, but I'm an IT guy and feel like I should be able to at least follow instructions. Does this mean there's a problem on my amp where it's not pushing enough power?

I really appreciate any help on this as I love my dad's old stereo and want to make sure to take care of it.

:o

Listens2tubes

Re: Tube bias'ing amateur
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2017, 06:40 pm »
Has the amp been refreshed? Are you using the correct hole in the octal socket?

Brett Buck

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2017, 07:31 pm »
Hey. I have a dynakit stereo 70 and just got a matched set of 4 tubes and am learning to bias them. I can't seem to get the channels biased at over about .765 on the 2v setting.

What do you mean by ".765 on the 2V setting"? Setting of what, your voltmeter? Is .765 the voltage, or percentage of scale?  Is it the same on both sides? If it is a fraction of the total scale, that's about 1.53V, which is low but not terribly unusual for a tired bias supply. It's also possible that your sockets are not well-connected to the chassis, and if so, you may not be grounded well enough.

If it is truly .765 volts, as assuming your amplifier is stock, and still has the 15.6 ohm bias resistors, then I would suspect a misreading, very tired or wrong output tubes. Assuming the amp is stock AND the reading is the same on both channels, then I would suggest that the selenium rectifier and/or the bias supply filter caps need to be replaced, because those are now 50+ years old. Selenium rectifiers tend to degenerate in such a way to increased forward voltage drop, which can and frequently does prevent you from getting enough current.

Overall, anything that is stock of this age is likely to need a complete refurbish to work reliably. But I would at least refurbish the bias supply circuit.

Brett

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2017, 10:45 pm »
Low bias is often caused by a worn out 5AR4 rectifier tube or perhaps the wrong type rectifier tube installed.

Raw DC out of the 5AR4 tube should be in the 420 to 440 volt range.  The bias voltage after the selinium rectifier should be about minus 43 volts DC.

Call me for more help.  651-330-9871

Frank

tndave123

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2017, 11:22 pm »
I recently replaced the 5AR4 rectifier tube. Is this wrong?

Thanks for the help!

The amp is totally stock other than tubes.

I wouldn't know how to measure these: 'Raw DC out of the 5AR4 tube should be in the 420 to 440 volt range.  The bias voltage after the selinium rectifier should be about minus 43 volts DC'.

the .765 is the reading on my multimeter set at 2v. I'm definitely using the correct hole in the two front bias options. How would I least refurbish the bias supply circuit?

Am I in over my head?  :o

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2017, 12:24 am »
That is the correct tube. You are not over your head.

tndave123

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2017, 01:39 pm »
Brett suggested this.

I would suggest that the selenium rectifier and/or the bias supply filter caps need to be replaced, because those are now 50+ years old. Selenium rectifiers tend to degenerate in such a way to increased forward voltage drop, which can and frequently does prevent you from getting enough current.

What do you think?

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2017, 06:15 pm »
It could be an aged selenium rectifier.  It can be replaced with a 1N4007 diode.

Check on the web to find a complete Dyna 70 build manual.  It has a lot of good troubleshooting info and wiring layouts, along with schematics.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2017, 04:08 pm »
The complete Dyna ST-70 build manual with schematics, parts list, schematics, and drawings is available here.

http://dynakitparts.com/image/data/Dyna-ST70.pdf

Frank

tndave123

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2017, 07:24 pm »
Thanks. Yeah, I've got that manual. It seems a bit intimidating...maybe it's not. I've never done electrical stuff like this. Hm.  I do own a soldering iron. :)

Listens2tubes

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2017, 05:21 pm »
Replacing the selenium rectifier is the fist thing I do on all old tube amps. When a selenium rectifier explodes the smell is super repulsive, to put it mildly.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2017, 05:27 pm »
Actually you can get all your bias supply parts from http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/bias-kit-parts I have used them and am very satisfied.