RMAF Coverage from No Audiophile

aevans

RMAF Coverage from No Audiophile
« on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:28 am »
Figure you guys would get a kick out my show coverage, let me know if you have any questions or if you see that I got something wrong.

Day 1 Coverage: http://noaudiophile.com/RMAF_2015_Day_1/
Day 2 Coverage: http://noaudiophile.com/RMAF_2015_Day_2/
Day 3 Coverage: http://noaudiophile.com/RMAF_2015_Day_3/

Best of Show in the Budget category: ELAC System
Best of Show in the Floor stander category: Von Schweikert VR55s
Best of Show in the WTF that's a big speaker category: Vapor Perfect Storm White
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2015, 03:35 pm by aevans »

beowulf

Re: RMAF Coverage from No Audiophile
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2015, 07:16 am »
Thanks for posting, there are a lot of great comments and pictures!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2015, 11:07 am »
Thanks.  I appreciate the knowledgable, yet average man on the street, perspective.

Would you like to join our small audio club in SE Michigan?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2015, 11:40 am »

Best of Show in the Budget category: ELAC System
Best of Show in the Floor stander category: Von Schwikert VR55s
Best of Show in the WTF that's a big speaker category: Vapor Perfect Storm White

Your photos are excellent.

I much preferred the large Wilsons and Focals for best sound, followed by the large YG's in the PS Audio room, and the larger Legacy's. I like the VS 55's but still feel they have a ways to go and my Exotica 3's are 90% of them for 1/5 the price.

The Elac's were "for the money" good, but not enough that I "needed" to have a pair. For the burgeoning audiophile, a steal for sure.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2015, 01:42 pm »
Awesome coverage man! Great to see someone doing show coverage right.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2015, 03:17 pm »
Very well done!

Nice to see another reviewer who's not afraid to tell it like it is!

Zero

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2015, 03:33 pm »
Great show coverage Aevans!!   I lawled at your triple nipple comment regarding the Tektons.  I said the same thing to Eric.  I wonder how many times he heard that?!

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:06 pm »
I like your point of view, more a practical side of things that the neurotic tendency side of things  :thumb:
It's tough to see that many systems and keep any sort of perspective.
Love your directness.

Nice photos, wish you spent the same detail in proofreading that you spent in getting quality images.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:25 pm »
I like your point of view, more a practical side of things that the neurotic tendency side of things  :thumb:
It's tough to see that many systems and keep any sort of perspective.
Love your directness.

Nice photos, wish you spent the same detail in proofreading that you spent in getting quality images.

It's nice to tell it like it is, but some comments were rude imo. I've made that mistake in the past myself and I've made comments I wish I could take back... the fact is everyone has their own preferences and if you're rude you may find fewer people will want to deal with you in the future. Maybe OP doesn't see this but it's a small world in the audio business and pissing people off won't help anything.

Well, whatever... any joe shmoe with no taste can post whatever they want these days... this isn't directed at the OP it's just how it is.

a.wayne

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:26 pm »
Your photos are excellent.

I much preferred the large Wilsons and Focals for best sound, followed by the large YG's in the PS Audio room, and the larger Legacy's. I like the VS 55's but still feel they have a ways to go and my Exotica 3's are 90% of them for 1/5 the price.

The Elac's were "for the money" good, but not enough that I "needed" to have a pair. For the burgeoning audiophile, a steal for sure.

Agree with the above ....

a.wayne

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:32 pm »
It's nice to tell it like it is, but some comments were rude imo. I've made that mistake in the past myself and I've made comments I wish I could take back... the fact is everyone has their own preferences and if you're rude you may find fewer people will want to deal with you in the future. Maybe OP doesn't see this but it's a small world in the audio business and pissing people off won't help anything.

Well, whatever... any joe shmoe with no taste can post whatever they want these days... this isn't directed at the OP it's just how it is.

Maybe he is the new Audio Critic ........  :)

md92468

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2015, 04:40 pm »
More like "No Couth"...geez, these are folks whose livelihood you're messing with. It's one thing to be critical, another to be belligerent and rude. It hurts your credibility more than anything...hard to take anything you say seriously when all you seem to do is complain. 

brother love

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:07 pm »
Enjoyed your unvarnished commentary & agree with BRM about the excellent photos. I particularly like that you intersperse more affordable products in with the esoteric stuff.  Well done.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:10 pm »
Awesome coverage man! Great to see someone doing show coverage right.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

That's quite the endorsement.

And while some may take offence with the OPs style, others prefer a more frank, no nonsense, fuck the politically correct bull shit and tell us what you really think approach.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:26 pm »
No coverage of ModWright, Daedalus, Odyssey, Endeavor, Purity.  wtf?  Hard to award best of show when you miss some of the finest rooms.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 6 Oct 2015, 09:25 pm »
I like this guy's style, reminds me of someone, can't quite place it though.... ;)

More like "No Couth"...geez, these are folks whose livelihood you're messing with.

THIS more than anything is why Pez and I are calling it quits.  It was fun when no one knew us and no one took us seriously.  We could say whatever we wanted and have a lot more negative (but funny) banter.  Now that people know us, it's really hard to say anything bad because what we write might hurt someone's business.  And that's the last thing we want to have happen. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #16 on: 6 Oct 2015, 09:49 pm »
delete

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 6 Oct 2015, 09:51 pm »
More like "No Couth"...geez, these are folks whose livelihood you're messing with. It's one thing to be critical, another to be belligerent and rude. It hurts your credibility more than anything...hard to take anything you say seriously when all you seem to do is complain.
+1

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 6 Oct 2015, 09:56 pm »
I like this guy's style, reminds me of someone, can't quite place it though.... ;)

THIS more than anything is why Pez and I are calling it quits.  It was fun when no one knew us and no one took us seriously.  We could say whatever we wanted and have a lot more negative (but funny) banter.  Now that people know us, it's really hard to say anything bad because what we write might hurt someone's business.  And that's the last thing we want to have happen.

I agree, some years ago when I was a nobody... not that I'm anybody now, but I'm in the business... I wrote some criticism that was harsher than necessary and I regret it, even as a nobody that didn't matter. People have all sorts of different opinions about what sounds right to them and unless there are serious problems it's not up to me to judge. The thing is, aevans has a blog and is attempting to be a reviewer. I wouldn't think of saying some of the crap he said if I was reviewer, not only does it reflect badly on himself but it's going to make enemies. To be honest, I don't want someone that is willing to degrade others' to this extent anywhere near my products, even if he loves them I just don't want to be associated with such negativity.

aevans, I suggest you rethink your strategy here. Some find it entertaining but it's like shock comedy, totally low class. And after this you will find fewer people in the business wanting to have you review their gear, this I can guarantee you.

T&P... you were always honest but never insulting.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 6 Oct 2015, 10:01 pm »

Whether people know you or not, do you really think your opinion could hurt someone's business?

Personally. I prefer blunt and brutal honesty over censorship any day, even if I happen to disagree with the opinion.