Level 4 Gen 5

Tomy2Tone

Level 4 Gen 5
« on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:25 pm »
Just received my Level 4 Gen 5 from Poland and right out of the box it's outstanding. Very natural with all the detail! Looking forward to seeing how it settles in and possibly tube roll at some point down the line.

For those that already own a Lampi or would like to respond to my query in regards to the tubes which are ecc82. Are they the exact equivalent to 12au7? As far as I know they just differ from what country or region they're used but wonder if they have different voltages and may possibly alter or harm the performance of the dac.

The paper that came with the dac says the rectifier is 5y3 but the website says 6x5. Are these also interchangeable?

I'll be checking back in as the L4 gets some hours on it.

I got to give Fred some big props for being a great rep for Lampizator! I asked a million questions at all times of day and night and Fred was always gracious to answer in a timely manner even though he's got another full time job so I figured I'd give him a break here for my tube questions and open it up to others chime in.  :thumb:

If anybody is thinking and being hesitant about buying from Lampizator of North America don't sweat it, Fred and Rob will take care of you! I got to meet them at the Newport Show and they are class acts and are there for you for whatever you need. I feel fortunate to have had such a great buying experience from Lampizator and look forward to seeing how this dac improves.

-Tom

Gopher

Re: Level 4 Gen 5
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:54 pm »
Tom,

So glad to read the awesome feedback out of the box.  It will indeed continue to develop with burn in as you witnessed between Friday and Saturday with the newly built show DAC at THE Newport Beach Show.

ECC82 is indeed a direct match of 12au7.

5Y3 and 6X5 are not interchangeable.  I personally prefer the 5Y3 rectifier--look for a Slyvania when you're ready!

Thanks for the kind words--it was really cool getting to hang out in person in Cali.

Best!

Fred A.

doak

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2015, 10:13 pm »
Hey Tom,

Great to see someone else here with the G5 L4. 

I've had mine for just over 2 months.  You can expect it to continue "blooming" for a couple of hundred hours use, though I think most change occurs within 100 Hours and then gradually tapers. 

My unit came with the a GE 6X5, RFT 12AU7/ECC82, plus Amperex PQ 6DJ8 - a very fine set of tubes, indeed.
I've found it impossible to better the RFT. They bested all of my faves. I did replace the Amperx 6DJ8, not because they did not sound very good but to sharpen up my system's sound with a pair of Seimens.

Today I turned the system on after about 4 or 5 days of letting things rest - it's been on way more than off for these two months.  I'm amazed every time I hear the system and music with the Lampi - more amazed that my old CD's (now ripped to hard drive) can sound do good!

I admit that for quite a while I had been a "vinyl supremist" and "digital derider."
That sure has change dramatically as of late. My turntable and records must think I have passed away.  ;-)
I have a couple of more things planned that I expect will make it better still.  As of now the music has a solidity and 3D effect that I've never heard before - certainly not not from digital.

So enjoy Tom, and know that it's just going to get better and better.

Doak

wisnon

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2015, 11:20 am »
Just received my Level 4 Gen 5 from Poland and right out of the box it's outstanding. Very natural with all the detail! Looking forward to seeing how it settles in and possibly tube roll at some point down the line.

For those that already own a Lampi or would like to respond to my query in regards to the tubes which are ecc82. Are they the exact equivalent to 12au7? As far as I know they just differ from what country or region they're used but wonder if they have different voltages and may possibly alter or harm the performance of the dac.

The paper that came with the dac says the rectifier is 5y3 but the website says 6x5. Are these also interchangeable?

I'll be checking back in as the L4 gets some hours on it.

I got to give Fred some big props for being a great rep for Lampizator! I asked a million questions at all times of day and night and Fred was always gracious to answer in a timely manner even though he's got another full time job so I figured I'd give him a break here for my tube questions and open it up to others chime in.  :thumb:

If anybody is thinking and being hesitant about buying from Lampizator of North America don't sweat it, Fred and Rob will take care of you! I got to meet them at the Newport Show and they are class acts and are there for you for whatever you need. I feel fortunate to have had such a great buying experience from Lampizator and look forward to seeing how this dac improves.

-Tom

Normally the ECC82 euro tubes (phillips/Valvo/Pope, etc) will best the US equivalent 12au7.

The 5Y3 is a 5v recti and not equiv to a 6x5, as the Lampi would need a pair of 6x5s to do the same job.

Perhaps you can use a smallish 5v recti like the Gz34?

robin67

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2015, 02:51 pm »
Congrats on the Level 4 Gen 5