I'm down on email for a few days - virus

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« on: 7 Apr 2004, 05:56 pm »
While I work through this virus problem, I 'll respond to generic quesitons posted this message string.  Please feel free to leave any/all questions here.

I opened a zip file sent from a friend.  DUMB!

... Live and learn.

Marbles

Re: I'm down on email for a few days - virus
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2004, 06:05 pm »
Quote from: David Ellis
While I work through this virus problem, I 'll respond to generic quesitons posted this message string.  Please feel free to leave any/all questions here.

I opened a zip file sent from a friend.  DUMB!

... Live and learn.

Until we get virus's under control, I think we need to EXECUTE people who start them.  I'm serious about that statement.  It would slow down the amount created or hopefully stop them from being created.

It wouldn't bother me to see mass mailing spammers to be put away for life either.

Sorry to hear about your problem Dave.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2004, 08:11 pm »
You mean EX-friend! :evil:

I too would like to see justice done to spammers and virus writers.  Unfortunately the kind of justice I am thinking of would be illegal in many countries. :(

But then again, avoiding viruses is fairly easy - avoid using Microsoft products and you're pretty much in the clear from my experience! :)

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2004, 08:16 pm »
it should be treated like a terorist act, and be enforcd by all countries.
and 20 years min or somthing, its not a prank type of thing  :nono:

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2004, 09:03 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
You mean EX-friend! :evil:

The problem is the friend probably never sent it..just someone using his mail addy.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
I think I got it beat!
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2004, 12:50 am »
I managed to narrow the virus significantly using the general norton scan/remove.  Unfortunately there were still a few pieces remaining.

I then went to the norton page and downloaded the individual removal tools for these pieces.  It worked!!!  

I am very pleased!

Unfortunately, my email remains down.  I think my server might have crashed.  I can't "find" it.  This is a small issue really.  I should be back up in a few days.

Dave