Adire Tempest integration???

gotmikey

• http://www.biofilm.com
Adire Tempest integration???
« on: 4 Apr 2004, 05:13 am »
I currently have in my possesion two Adire Tempest 15"ers and was wondering what all of you think I should do with them?  I originally had them in an Infinite baffle setup for my HT in my old house but, I've moved out of the house and still have the speakers. Here's my situation:  My two channel setup consists of Ellis 1801's powered by an Odyssey Stratos and Dodd pre-amp.  I've also got an HT setup with a DIY sub utilizing an old M&K driver I had lying around which, sounds pretty okay.  So, the question is should I integrate these into my two channel system to compliment the 1801's - which sound beautiful nontheless, or use them in my HT for some serious ass kicking badabooom...  Or I could sell them and pick up a couple of sonicraft scc 300's...  BTW, I have above average wood skills and could probably build most designs (within reason).  Dave, I've read some of your writings about subwoofers and from them I've come to the question as to whether or not these drivers would be a good match for the 1801F's I have???  Any comments from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Me thinks...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2004, 06:02 pm »
I think the decision really depends on how happy you are with the bass from the 1801s.  I don't use a subwoofer and am very pleased with the bass.  I can, however, certainly understand some desire more bass from their speakers.  Also, I am NOT a HT guy, but can certainly understand those who seek this venue of sound reproduction.

I don't think you should sell the drivers and swap them for SCC300's.  You will lose $ on this, and the Tempest drivers are very good subwoofers.  Sure, the SCC300 probably has a stiffer cone and will likely sound cleaner.  However, the Tempest drivers will really pack a wallop.  I think you should go with what you have.  Build a pair of cabinets for them and put the 15" monsters on both sides of the 1801s.  The soundstage will be right and you will be pleased - if you want the bass.  

The decision is subjective really.  I am sure you can hear the character of the 1801 bass and can hear the character of the Tempest bass.  If they match, go for it.  Also, if you decide to chase the 15" tempest drivers, please let us the results.

I am sorry for very little solid insight.

Dave