Ming Da 6SN7 Globe tube - looks funny, sounds good

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
I have a few Ming Da 2A3-X8 preamplifiers in for modification. These preamps come with the unusual looking Ming-Da 6SN7 globe tube. One of the units had a noisy tube so I had to install some standard 6SN7 tubes in for the testing. I was able to put two quiet tubes in one of my Basis preamps to give them further listening.

I don't have much time on these but initial impressions are favorable. They are an expensive tube that will run you $80 each but what I'm hearing is impressive so far. I will provide more feedback as I gather more hours and listen more.

(They look better in the 2A3 preamp)

DARTH AUDIO

Re: Ming Da 6SN7 Globe tube - looks funny, sounds good
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:27 pm »
Hey Bill,

Do you have any specs for the "6SN7 Globe Tube"? I may check one out for my deHavilland UltraVerve Preamp.

Thanks,

Gary

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:44 pm »
I do not have any details on the tube itself. They are sold through Pacific Valve. The link below will take you to the page. Just scroll down to the bottom.

http://www.pacificvalve.us/The_Sixes.html

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2010, 08:04 pm »
Very cool looking, might have to try one.

This will take you right to it: http://www.pacificvalve.us/The_Sixes.html#e146

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2010, 08:11 pm »
How do they sound versus the Black Bottle Shuguangs? Not even close to Shuguang (spelling I mean) is it?
M

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2010, 09:22 pm »
I sent Pacific Valve an email. They weren't very helpful with details. They just said it's like all other 6SN7's?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2010, 09:25 pm »
Interesting response? I don't know if it's a standard tube design in a fancy bottle or something unique. Some listening time should tell.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2010, 10:59 pm »
Bill, if ya can, keep us posted on how the tubes perform. I'm very interested in how they sound.

Thanks,

Gary

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2010, 12:24 am »
I sent another email to Pacific Valve asking them for their take on how this tube sounds. You know the typicial is it sweet sounding, detailed etc. Their explanation was "Dark, Very Dark". Does anyone know what this means? In my 30 years in this crazy hobby, I have never heard a tube described this way?

Thanks,

Gary

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:12 am »
I don't know if "dark" is the right word but I do understand what he means (I think). I would take this as very (overly) warm without air, extension and authority. I am not saying that this tube can be characterized yet as I have to listen to it but my initial impressions don't tell me it is a dark sounding tube. At least not in the Basis preamp.

I will keep in touch with my thoughts.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:24 am »
Sweet looking tube! If one ever goes bad, convert it into a Christmas tree ornament. I am interested in how this works out for you too.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:27 am »
Thanks Bill, I look forward to you're findings.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:42 am »
I do not have a full assesment of this tube yet but wanted to drop by to at least give an update. I was abe to get a few more hours of listening in today and wil say that I do not find this to be dark sounding tube. For reference, here is the system I am evaluating this tube in:

The tubes are installed in the preamp shown above. This is our Basis Plus linestage that has been fully broken in (not the Globe tubes though). Feeding the preamp we have a slightly modified Jolida JD100 with Svetlana 12AX7 tubes. We did not use our Audio Note Custom DAC for this evaluation. Cabling from the Jolida to the preamp is a proprietary designed Silver/Gold foil interconnect.

Usng our MB Series Perfetto cable, the preamp is driving a Bella Extreme 3205 MKIII Reference (Fully hardwired. V-Cap Teflon coupling caps). Going through our Musicale speaker cable to a custom pair of module line arrays using 4x 5" drivers crossed over at 600Hz to 3X Neo8 tweeters per channel.

Right now what I am hearing is impressing me more than some of the other current production 6SN7 and limited NOS pieces. The tubes used in this preamp for most listening is a pair of Cryo'ed EH6SN7 Gold Pin tubes.

Surprisingly, initial impressions are showing that the Globe tubes have better musicality in the midrange, faster attack in the midbass area and more air up top. There does not seem to be any roll-off up top. I cannot tell you about the lower end as these particular speakers are tuned to only 50Hz.

I still have to put forth more dedicated time to really listen to these tubes to get a better indication of their true performance but so far, I am enjoying them. They may be dark in some components/systems but I would not put that label on them in this set-up. Would I spend $80 per tube for these? Need more time to make that decision.

More to come.

Pez

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:19 am »
Just wanted to chime in on the whole "Dark" issue. Using metaphors in audio is not without it's perils. I have heard this term as both a positive and negative description. 

The Negative is as Bill said, Dark as in lacking of detail, overly warm no air.

The Positive entirely different from the bad dark. It is used to describe the noise floor seeming to be infinitely quiet. Also used to describe the general timbre of instrumentation lacking that tinge of treble smear, midrange anemia, and/or bass reticence. Where the balance in timbre is light and subtly airy in the treble, warm/tubey in the midrange and maybe leaning more towards fullness vs neutrality in the bass.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2010, 12:51 pm »
Thanks Bill for your assessment. BTW, I got another explanation from Pacific Valve. "It is a laid back sound, very warm". I think for $80.00, I'll give it a shot. I only need one.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2010, 12:58 pm »
When I think of "dark" in describing a tube, I think of very (overly) warm and lacking detail as Pez mentioned. I did not find it any warmer than my EH gold pins. The standard Shuguang 6SN7 tube is warmer in this system.

Maybe I got lucky but the this pair of tubes does provide a black background and very low noise floor. I will get more hours on it and then do some critical listening.

Quick note: I have nothing to gain with this thread and my intentions were not to promote this tube rather give my personal findings as many have asked about this tube.

Like anything audio results can be different in your system.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2010, 05:14 pm »
Hey Bill, just wondering if you have had time to further evaluate this tube? I almost pulled the tigger, but got tied up with another purchase.

Thanks,

Gary

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:14 pm »
hello Gary,
 I have spent a little more time with them to try and get a handle on their true potential. With so much going on right now with our OEM work, I haven't been able to spend as much time as I like. That being said.......

I have been swapping out only 4 pair of tubes. EH Gold Cryo'ed 6SN7, Reissue Tung-Sol 6SN7, standrad Shuguang 6SN7 and the globes. Main comparisons have been against the EH Golds and Shuguangs. I had to use the Shuguangs as I beleive they also manufacture the Globes for Ming-Da? Not sure.

With the new speakers from Clearwave Loudspeaker Design now in the system, I am better able to experience in the slightest differences in equipment and tubes.

In comparison to the Golds, the Globes have more body and fullness where the Golds are articulate and cleaner sounding. Both have great upper end detail and extension but the Golds come across as having more air up top. I think this is only because of the fullness of the Globes. It's more a matter of perception. The amount of information at the frequency extremes was nearly eaqual with both tubes, just presented differently.

My preference of the two is the Globe. It had a midrange magic I do not experience with the Gold. Maybe this fullness is where the term "dark" came from. Not the best term but I see where they get it from.

Be back later about the Shuguangs.....

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2010, 02:28 am »
Thanks Bill. I'm looking for a little more fullness in the tube and the midrange magic is what I was hoping for. Time to pull the trigger. Thanks again for your insight.

Gary

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #19 on: 25 Feb 2010, 02:53 am »
 Hi Gary
 I dont have a full overall view of this tube yet but I do fine that you are not giving anything up. My preference leans towards this tube over any other current production tube for listening. Critical evaluation of our other components would be the Golds. But is it worth $80?