Vampire CCC

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Vampire CCC
« on: 2 Oct 2006, 06:56 pm »
I recently added this to the list of options for internal wire inside the 1801.  I also added it to my web page as something that could be purchased for external speaker wire.  The details & history are here:
http://www.ellisaudio.com/Wire.htm

I was asked this questions via email:
Do you think that I should upgrade my internal cable for the Vampire?

I will first provide some history:

@ 6 years ago when the 1801 began, I offered 2 crossover options.  One was a good quality set of crossover components.  The other was a very good quality.  The good quality crossover components were Solen components, and they were and are a very good value.  I have seen these components and lesser components in commercial hifi speakers costing $15k.  IMO, the Solen components represent a very good value in hifi. 

The very good componets were from AudioCap, Alpha-Core, and Mills.  These components are scarcely found in any commercial speakers.  If found, these speakers tend to have prices at stratospheric levels.  Nonetheless, I wanted these components my personal speakers, and therefore I offered them to customers in my kits.  The up-charge was @ $100 for these components.

It is my belief that only @ 50% of folks would actually appreciate the better crossover components, yet @ 90% of folks purchased them.  This was a strange phenomena, but many of these folks fully intended to improve their source gear commensurate with the quality of the 1801 speaker.  In this regard, I suppose the $100 was justified.  The same is true with the Vampire CCC cable.

This stuff is surprisingly good, and my opinion is that folks with better hifi gear and keen ears will fully appreciate this cable.  I'm fairly certain there will be a lesser impact with lesser source gear.  And, the wire is... somewhat expensive.  Purchasing 8' pairs of 14ga wire to the speakers will cost $48.

So my answer is...

Hifi is a luxury that I am blessed with.  This cost of this cable might be excessive for some folks.  For others, it's a major boon and relatively inexpensive. 

I will convey that Vampire CCC internal cable is a much wiser purchase than Black Hole 5 for the 1801 kit.

I don't foresee returning to Goertz speaker wire.

Hopefully this answers the question without too much hyperbole.

Dave