Inexpensive (< US$500) streamer w/o DAC?

Mike-48

Inexpensive (< US$500) streamer w/o DAC?
« on: 15 May 2021, 02:31 am »
Trying to help a friend, one who is not very computer-savvy and is a bit out of touch with prices.

What's needed is an inexpensive network streamer (renderer) for UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome (and Roon, if I convince him it's worth the money). I have suggested the Allo DigiOne player, which assembled and with power supply, is only $230. I have one, and it's really excellent and a huge bargain IMO.

But maybe for a little more money there is something prettier to look at? He does have a good sense of visual design. Any recommendations? I would suggest the Lindemann Limetree Bridge, but not at $1000.

What's required is SPDIF (coax) or USB output. No DAC needed!

RDavidson

Re: Inexpensive (< US$500) streamer w/o DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2021, 06:05 am »
Bluesound Node 2i has gotten universal praise, is in your price range, looks nice, and is apparently VERY easy to use.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2021, 02:14 pm »
Could you could put the Allo DigiOne player into a more fashionable case? Perhaps he can design and 3-d print one to meet his fancy.

Search for audio streamer and you'll get a flavor for some of the styles out there. For $2k one can get a McIntosh streamer that looks like a McIntosh.

DJB

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2021, 06:25 pm »
arylic preamp i have one has digital out
about the same music quality as my nad c658
that has no digital out

whell

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2021, 09:10 pm »
Trying to help a friend, one who is not very computer-savvy and is a bit out of touch with prices.

What's needed is an inexpensive network streamer (renderer) for UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome (and Roon, if I convince him it's worth the money). I have suggested the Allo DigiOne player, which assembled and with power supply, is only $230. I have one, and it's really excellent and a huge bargain IMO.

But maybe for a little more money there is something prettier to look at? He does have a good sense of visual design. Any recommendations? I would suggest the Lindemann Limetree Bridge, but not at $1000.

What's required is SPDIF (coax) or USB output. No DAC needed!

For the not-so-computer-savvy, the Node 2i is really unbeatable for the PC.  Sure, it has a built in DAC, but it also has coax out so it can be connected to an external DAC quite easily. 

If he's got an old beater desktop PC sitting around collecting dust and can follow instructions (and / or maybe a friend to help him out a bit), install Daphile on it and connect it via USB to his DAC.   Incurred cost is $0.00.  https://www.daphile.com/

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2021, 02:19 am »
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'm sure he'll find something good among them.

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2021, 03:18 am »
I find this Snake Oil offering fascinating.  The aesthetics are nice if one wants wood.

https://snakeoilsound.com/products/snake-oil-streamer

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2021, 02:10 am »
Bluesound Node 2i has gotten universal praise, is in your price range, looks nice, and is apparently VERY easy to use.

They are in the midst of replacing the Node 2i with the Node.  Faster processor, slightly upgraded DAC, better remote and improved HDMI connectivity.   Same price.

There is also the PecanPi streamer, at about the same price.  Better DAC, better analog outputs.  No MCA. 

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2021, 03:32 am »
I find this Snake Oil offering fascinating.  The aesthetics are nice if one wants wood.

https://snakeoilsound.com/products/snake-oil-streamer
Nice idea. I hadn't heard of the company before.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2021, 11:24 am »
Nice idea. I hadn't heard of the company before.

Is this a Raspberry Pi mounted inside a block of wood?

artur9

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2021, 11:29 pm »
Is this a Raspberry Pi mounted inside a block of wood?
IIUC, basically yes.  For those like myself that are all thumbs.  I've also never seen a wooden Pi case before, either.