Mini Review

THROWBACK

Mini Review
« on: 20 Apr 2011, 07:45 pm »
   Bravo GIK. I am not a shill for GIK, but I have to say that treating my very live room with their products is the best thing I have done for my system since I moved into my new house 3 1/2 years ago.
   I sent a diagram of my room to Brian, and he recommended corner traps, absorbers and diffusers. I have a pair of Sound Lab M-1 ESLs, driven by Wolcott 285 watts/channel monoblocks. I cross over to a pair of subs at 105 Hz. The absorbers took care of a lot of slap echo, which I expected. What I did NOT expect was the improvement in clarity, imaging and--especially--depth from placing the diffusers on the walls directly behind the speaker panels.
   Wow! For the first time the piano in Mozart's PC 22 (Phillips; Brendel) was out in the room with me, forward of the orchestra. I had never heard that kind of 3D sound before. I also had the widest soundstage I had ever experienced. Apparently, too much sound had been bouncing off the front wall directly at me, mixing the direct and reflected sound in confusing ways. I'm still experimenting with the corner traps. My bass problems were not near as serious as my imaging problems, so I'm not as concerned with them.
   Also, GIK was extremely easy to work with--answering my many questions with great patience. They also did not try to sell me stuff they didn't think I needed. Brian actually made suggestions that saved me money. (Hope he doesn't get into trouble for it.)
   Anyway, I see (hear) now that I have spent more money chasing problem solution through equipment upgrades, when I should have paid more attention to my room. The GIK stuff looks good, performs well, and costs less than the other competing products I looked at. I am a happy guy.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Mini Review
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:46 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.  It's hard to explain to someone what proper treatments, strategically placed in a room can do for the overall sound.

Drop me a line if there's anything I can help with while you're working with the rest of the treatments.

Bryan

bradmorris1

Re: Mini Review
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2011, 06:58 pm »
which diffusors are you using Throwback?