Selling GR Research Wedgies

DeeJayBump

Selling GR Research Wedgies
« on: 10 Jan 2022, 04:49 pm »
Selling a pair of Wedgies to raise funds for a change in life direction. Thanks.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176783

Danny Richie

Re: Selling GR Research Wedgies
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2022, 09:32 pm »
Great speakers. Good luck with your sale and life changes.

Jan_Mc

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2022, 09:59 pm »
How do these sound compared to the NX Studios?  I have a small 11 x 11 foot room and have been looking at the Studios but I've read that these might be better in that small of a room.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2022, 05:29 am »
Can't say how they compare to Studios yet since I haven't built out my Studios yet.

However, what can be said is these NEED a sub since they only play down to ~ 200hz while IIRC the Studios will play down to something like 80hz on their own.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2022, 06:30 am »
I need to grab the Wedgies out of the shop and take a little time to listen to them somtime. I'm already quite familiar with the Studios, so it should be an interesting comparison.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2022, 05:00 pm »
The sound of the Wedgies is very similar to the NX-Otica MTM. The Wedgies have been described as scary clean and image a little better while the NX-Otica MTMs have more weight and presence in the midrange.

The Wedgies were originally designed to pair with triple 8" servo subs. In this combination, my Wedgies played very strong down into the upper 20Hz range. Later on I paired them with dual 12" servo subs which I put in wedge shaped cabinets to match the Wedgies and that combination easily hit 20Hz at the listening position.

The Wedgies work better in small rooms with minimal room treatment.

I exhibited the Wedgies for two years at the Lone Star Audio Fest. The first year paired with triple 8s in H-frames and the second year with dual 12s in wedge cabinets. Both were very well received. The next 3 years I had the NX-Otica MTMs with dual 12s in H-frames. Feedback from people that came to the show every year was that while most people preferred the heftier midrange of the 'Otica MTMs, others preferred the better imaging of the Wedgies.

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2022, 02:34 am »
Someone going to be very pleased.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2022, 03:05 am »
Finally got around to grabbing Danny's original Wedgies from the shop storage.  :thumb:

It took some doing to get the subs integrated, I finally had to pull out my microphone and use REW to properly integrate them.

They image & soundstage incredibly well. They easily beat my NX-Studios without a doubt in those categories. The combination of open baffle tweeter & mids is delightful.

Where they "lose" however, is lower mid-range weight, which compared to my Studios, are very full and have plenty of body, that said, the mid-range on the Wedgies is incredibly fast and articulate, so there have been details with these that I've missed even on my studios.

The trick though is making sure these subs don't play up too high, as they tend to sound "hollow" at higher frequencies, and where they overlap, the mids will become muddy really quickly.

my experience is very much inline with what Mike mentioned, their imaging and soundstage is top notch, despite the loss of some heft in the lower mids.

That said, the Wedgies have been a real treat to listen to, and I look forward to the eventual designing of an LGK 2.0 based model.  :thumb:

Jan_Mc

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2022, 09:41 pm »
Thanks for the review.  Do you think it is possible to bump the lower mids with EQ or will the drivers just not deliver that range with enough authority?

RonP

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2022, 10:26 pm »

It took some doing to get the subs integrated, I finally had to pull out my microphone and use REW to properly integrate them.

They image & soundstage incredibly well. They easily beat my NX-Studios without a doubt in those categories. The combination of open baffle tweeter & mids is delightful.

Where they "lose" however, is lower mid-range weight, which compared to my Studios, are very full and have plenty of body, that said, the mid-range on the Wedgies is incredibly fast and articulate, so there have been details with these that I've missed even on my studios.

The trick though is making sure these subs don't play up too high, as they tend to sound "hollow" at higher frequencies, and where they overlap, the mids will become muddy really quickly.

my experience is very much inline with what Mike mentioned, their imaging and soundstage is top notch, despite the loss of some heft in the lower mids.

That said, the Wedgies have been a real treat to listen to, and I look forward to the eventual designing of an LGK 2.0 based model.  :thumb:

hmm what about swapping out the top and bottom LGK for the M165NQ's? So total count per speaker would be 1 Neo3, 2 LGKs, and 2 M165NQs.

VinceT

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2022, 12:59 am »
hmm what about swapping out the top and bottom LGK for the M165NQ's? So total count per speaker would be 1 Neo3, 2 LGKs, and 2 M165NQs.

I asked the same question about a speaker combining the LGK and NQ in a 3 way OB design many moons ago. From what I recall, it came down to the cost of crossover parts for crossing the NQs to the LGKs at around 200HZ.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2022, 01:52 am »
We would need 16ohm LGKs. Something we have talked about possibly doing.
Plus you would need to design the cabinets to best fit both the M165NQs and the LGKs. Not impossible, but would definitely be more of a challenge to keep it clean looking.

You could make the lower woofers face sideways in a sealed cabinet to fill out the bottom end below 200Hz much like the X-statiks.

M-130 or M130-X woofers might be a good option as well, similar to the old OB7 and the smaller woofers would likely be easier to accommodate the difference in woofer size to jeep them forward facing.

I asked the same question about a speaker combining the LGK and NQ in a 3 way OB design many moons ago. From what I recall, it came down to the cost of crossover parts for crossing the NQs to the LGKs at around 200HZ.

Yes, you're likely looking at a large cap (75-100uF)
In the mid circuit to roll off the bottom end, and likely a 12mH or 15mH inductor in the bass circuit.
The standard M165 or smaller M130/M130X might be a more cost effective solution.

RonP

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2022, 09:39 pm »
The standard M165 or smaller M130/M130X might be a more cost effective solution.

killer!