The perennial question of which Wi-Fi router to get?

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: The perennial question of which Wi-Fi router to get?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2022, 07:38 pm »
It seems like these are all-in-one solutions, which isn't bad in itself. 

I'd like to point out, that by separating the router, switch, and APs into separated boxes,  you can upgrade one as the need arises.

Seeing that some of you are actually getting gig download speeds over wifi, makes me want to upgrade my APs, since I only get 250mbit downloads on a gig connection (on a wired connection I get full speed.

cdimattio

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jan 2022, 11:07 pm »

After much research I ended up with the ASUS RT-AC86U.    It seemingly has stellar performance and thruput and provides the option of creating a decent mesh environment with multiple units.

If you do a quick search you will see the accolades.   It seemingly outperforms numerous products that should be superior on paper based upon spec.   

goodvibrations

• If it sounds good, turn it up to make sure!
« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2022, 11:26 pm »
I have a standard refurbished Linksys 9500 EA.  It is hard wired to anything that takes a good chunk, plus two APs set up hardwired 150 feet away in garage and at front of house (Linksys MR 9000s set up as Aps waterfall).  I get GIG, and typically stays around this level.  I am having drop out issues and am looking at getting a new Orbi system also.  Plaster walls, old house, lots of corners and floors.   I dont like Linksys UI at all, sucks.

Depending on your comfort level with flashing & configuring an alternate firmware, I've had good results optimizing WAPs with OpenWRT. Looks like your primary router may be supported: https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/ea9500_v1

For jparkhur & the OP, this firmware has allowed me to both extend the performance and service life of my wifi equipment 8) YMMV