Tigerwood X-LS Encores

kwhitman

Re: Tigerwood X-LS Encores
« Reply #40 on: 8 Jan 2022, 12:14 am »
Thanks Mike and Norman for the Rubio Monocoat suggestion.  I have watched many videos where they used the Rubio Monocoat on epoxy table tops and it looks awesome.  They would spread it around, wipe away the excess, and buff and the wood grain would just pop.  A lot of the time he would follow that up with a oil/maintenance coat to add a little additional shine.  I watched a few other videos from the Wood Whisperer where he too is using Rubio on most of his projects.  I was wondering how well that would work on speakers....now I know.  Something else to ponder.  I'll have to pick some up and try it on a few cutoffs to give it a look. 

Thanks,
Kris

Theronbo

« Reply #41 on: 8 Jan 2022, 03:23 pm »

Oak

Golden Oak stain (3 or 4 applications, learned there is a reason prestain exists)

Teak Oil - for no other reason than it seemed easy vs other finishes…

RonP

« Reply #42 on: 8 Jan 2022, 05:28 pm »

kwhitman

« Reply #43 on: 8 Jan 2022, 07:58 pm »
That does look good. :thumb:  Thanks for the suggestion.

kwhitman

« Reply #44 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:37 pm »
Well I decided to go ahead and apply some finish to the first completed cabinet.  I wound up using Waterlox Sealer/Finish for these first few coats then I will add several more of the Waterlox Satin finish.  I have used Waterlox in the past and it is really nice looking on nicely grained hardwood.  I had it and that was my original intent but I have to admit the Rubio Monocoat was very compelling especially since it is basically a one coat and done type of finish.  Now I probably would have chased it with the Maintenance Oil for that little bit extra sheen but I was afraid to try something new on these.  Here is what it looks like wet with Waterlox.

kwhitman

« Reply #45 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:41 pm »
I kept going over it two or three times making sure to keep it wet I then let it sit for 6-7 minutes before wiping off the excess.  I wipe all the excess off and now it will sit for 24 hours.  Here is what it looks like wiped off.

kwhitman

« Reply #46 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:50 pm »
Here is a before oil and after the first coat of Waterlox that has been wiped off.  Big difference in the base color.  The Tigerwoods red/brown color is back. 
Now the process starts.  After 24 hours buff/lightly sand, wet it thoroughly, wipe off the excess, repeat...

RonP

« Reply #47 on: 9 Jan 2022, 09:22 pm »
WOW!

borism

« Reply #48 on: 9 Jan 2022, 10:44 pm »
Beautiful! This is fun watching.

kwhitman

« Reply #49 on: 9 Jan 2022, 11:03 pm »
I truly appreciate all the responses.  I too like watching peoples builds come together and love pictures along the way.  I decided I would document this build hence all the pictures.  I am sorry if it is too pic heavy but I wanted to show off the grain of the Tigerwood as the oil brings it alive.  I just love natural hardwood.  One of the main reasons I selected Waterlox is it does not hide the natural grain and being oil based it definitely brings the grain to life. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #50 on: 10 Jan 2022, 02:50 pm »
Those look great! There's really something to love about the amber tone of Waterlox. Well done.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 10 Jan 2022, 05:17 pm »
Love it!!  :thumb:

You may have said this and I forgot (didn’t scroll through the posts on this tiny screen phone): Another good thing about the Waterlox is you control the depth of sheen you want by how many coats you apply. You can end up with the wet glossy look if you like. Rubio won’t do that

kwhitman

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jan 2022, 07:01 pm »
I appreciate the responses Peter and Mike. :green:  You are both right I love the look the oil based Waterlox adds to a nice hardwood, it doesn't cover up the grain it just brings it alive.  Mike you are exactly right I will add coats until I arrive at the sheen I am looking for.  Those two reasons were the main drivers for the Waterlox. 

As soon as I get my care package from Danny/Hobbs I will finish the second cabinet and start the finish on it as well.  I'll have plenty of time since we are waiting on tweeters anyway.  At least when the drivers arrive the cabinets will be ready!

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 17 Jan 2022, 09:42 pm »
Wow, those are super nice.

kwhitman

« Reply #54 on: 18 Jan 2022, 12:27 am »
Thanks Danny :thumb:  I did call and talk to Hobbs last week.  He sold me all the upgraded crossover parts which include Sonicaps and Miflex copper bypass caps.  They may as well sound as good as they look wouldn't you agree! 

I am already looking at the next kit...open baffle.  Between You, Clayton Shaw, and Ron at New Record Day I am now convinced I must hear (and own) open baffle speakers.  I thought COVID was the infectious disease but it is actually DIY speaker building :green:

kwhitman

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jan 2022, 02:31 am »
Well I received a package from GR Research today full of NoRez :D  Thanks Hobbs for getting that out for me.  Now I can continue work on the 2nd Tigerwood cabinet.  I got the 2nd cabinet lined with NoRez this evening.

Once that was complete I installed my crossover board and predrilled the holes to hold it into place.  Then it was time to glue on the front baffle.  More Epoxy!!!!

Now I wait until tomorrow to remove it from the clamps.  Then out comes the router for a nice flush trim then I can start sanding the cabinet before rounding over the edges.  Feels good to be making progress again.  Thanks again to the guys at GR Research for getting the NoRez out so quick.   :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #56 on: 23 Jan 2022, 04:25 am »
Stunning! And you cannot have too many photos in a build thread.

kwhitman

« Reply #57 on: 23 Jan 2022, 02:47 pm »
Thanks Hawkeyejw and I agree with you on the pictures.  Pictures and shared knowledge from the guys on the next level like Peter Rawlings (Peter J) and Mike Lundy (mlundy57)  and many others, encouraged me to take on my first GR Research build many years ago.  I viewed every thread showing a build in progress and watched how they did certain things.  Now we have Peters Youtube channel that shares an amazing amount of information on just about every aspect of getting a speaker built.  I never would have taken the plunge if it wasn't for this circle and the unlimited knowledge that hangs out here.  This particular build was inspired by an awesome set of X-LS Encores Mike Lundy did with real wood panels over a standard MDF cabinet.  I purchased this tigerwood back in 2015 for the first build and intended to do exactly what Mike did but my daughter preferred a duratex finish over wood.  After I saw Mikes build and his technique I was inspired and here we are. 

Sorry for the novel but if this build can help someone take the plunge and jump into DIY speaker building then I did my part.  If a normal guy like me can pull it off they can too!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #58 on: 23 Jan 2022, 07:37 pm »
I’m familiar with that set that Mike built too and agree they’re beautiful. You are doing a great job with your tribute build!

It’s great to have these threads around for the rest of us in case we decide to follow in your footsteps in the future.

kwhitman

« Reply #59 on: 23 Jan 2022, 11:30 pm »
Not much progress today but I did pull the clamps this afternoon.  I decided to wait until tomorrow to flush trim to make sure the epoxy is completely cured.  Here is what the 2nd cabinet looks like with the front baffle freshly epoxied and still about 1/16" proud all the way around.  You can easily see the epoxy squeeze out. 

I will get to work on this tomorrow.  Flush trim is next then a little sanding.  Once everything is sanded smooth I'll head to the router table for rounding over all the edges.  I decided to weigh the cabinet as it sits and it tips the scales at 21.5 pounds....empty!